New to 4 Stroke Fuel ?

OK, I know this subject has been beat to death. I also notice many who run Pump Gas a sware by it also run bikes that have 9 to 1 compression pistons or less.

I just put my 14 year old on a YZF250 and could not help to notice the Compression on this bike is Compression Ratio 13.5:1 recommends 96 Octaine.

I am not a 4 stroke guy nor do I endorse them. I was talked into this bike because many told me thowing a 14 year old onto a YZ250 and running him in the open class may not be the best way to go.

After talking to a couple of guys at the track. They said when they tare their bikes down. The top ends are in great condition after running the higher octane gas such as 110. When they tear the same bikes down run on pump gas they are not in the same condition.

To buy 100 octaine is a pain. 20 minutes one direction for the gas and then 70 minutes in the oposite direction to the track.

$67.00 plus tax in CA for 5 Gallons of VP gas is out of the question.

Was thinking of using Gold Lable Blendzall as a octain boost substitute.

Any impute on better options?

Edited by 95843

If its stock, run pump fuel with factory recommended octane. Anyone can say they like higher octane, its better, feels faster, etc.. Nope. Run pump and be happy. If its causing problems, you can hear it pinging.

Pump Gas in California is 91 Octane Max. I do not ride the bike. If it were to ping I would have to hear it as he blew by me.

My YZ250F runs great on 93 pump gas, and it is pretty heavily modified. 91 may be fine for it. If it pings on 91 then get some high octane fuel and blend just a splash in with each gallon 91 pump gas just to get it up to 92-93 octane. That way a 5 gallon pale of race gas will last you a long time (through about 30 gallons of pump gas) so you won't have to always be going to buy race gas and you won't be wasting your money.

The manual calls for 96 octane, but this is the RON standard which is not the AKI standard of north america.

RON stands for Research Octane Number which is what they use in Japan. If you compare it to our standards (Anti Knock Index) of gasoline, they are not the same in terms of resistance to detonation at all.

I believe that 96 RON is about the equivelant of 91/92 AKI here at our pumps. This means that when you put 91/92 octane in your bike, you are really running 96 RON gas that is used overseas and in Japan. Since the bike is manufactured in Japan the manual is printed using their systems, such as metric and RON ratings for gasoline and NOT AKI.

Hope that clears this up.

If you have access to 94 pump gas like I do here in the city at the pumps, this is exceeding the Octane rating that the manual calls for.

The manual calls for 96 octane, but this is the RON standard which is not the AKI standard of north america.

RON stands for Research Octane Number which is what they use in Japan. If you compare it to our standards (Anti Knock Index) of gasoline, they are not the same in terms of resistance to detonation at all.

I believe that 96 RON is about the equivelant of 91/92 AKI here at our pumps. This means that when you put 91/92 octane in your bike, you are really running 96 RON gas that is used overseas and in Japan. Since the bike is manufactured in Japan the manual is printed using their systems, such as metric and RON ratings for gasoline and NOT AKI.

Hope that clears this up.

If you have access to 94 pump gas like I do here in the city at the pumps, this is exceeding the Octane rating that the manual calls for.

..... DAMN! That was FLAT OUT AWESOME! Thanks! Yes I was going from the Manual.

YOU BE Da MAN!

What Brand oil do you use? I change ours on the YZ125 and YZF250 after each day at the track.

That's a really good habit, a bit excessive but I change it once every time I do a weekend riding trip (3 days of riding).

For my four stroke I was using mobil one motorcycle oil, I think it was 20W50 V Twin or something like that. 15$ for a liter is expensive, but it worked very well. My four stroke was not an MX bike however that doesn't have the same kind of heat, power or performance produced as yours, so an oil change ever track day is probably the best practice.

I'd change the filter every other change, or if they're only 5-10$ I'd change them every fill. Again my bike was not an MX bike and had the gearbox oil and crank oil in the same compartment WITHOUT a filter :moon:, so regular oil changes were a must for me :cheers:

For my yz250 I use exactly what the manual calls for, 10W30, I use mobil 1 for that as well and it works just fine.

We have an 04 YZ125. My kid has ridden that bike way beyond what I thought could be possible. I had to move him up because Pistons were becoming an issue and the plating cost on cylinders was getting out of control.

In this bike we use Delo 400. We have never had the case split and it still shift great. Does not eat clutch plates and the Crank still shows no play. I think we have put two sets of clutch plates in the bike in the last 3 years. We ride at least two days a week.

I was told the important thing is to change your oil oftan and not so much oil branding. So far this theory has worked out well. As I said, I am not a 4 stroke guy so I am not sure if I will run this oil in the YZF or not yet.