Sign in to follow this  

Oil leak

Well I took my new to me 06 KXF450 out for a winter ride today and noticed some oil leaking in the snow. Never seen that my other ride. So I noticed it seems to be coming from where the case seem is. Then I looked a little closer and am curious if it is cracked. Here is a picture of what I think might be a crack.

Here is a picture of what I think might be a crack, but it does look pretty symetrical and not jagged. Is it suppose to be there? Other picture gives you an idea where your looking. It doesn't seem to be starting from the area I Think is a crack, so i'm hoping its a casting seam or a line that is there on other bikes. Could someone else with the same bike see if they have that line on there case in that area?

DSC_0160.jpg

DSC_0158.jpg

Edited by Themitch

That little going vertical from one seam to the other. The arrow is pretty well touching?

So if I have oil leaking out of the seam circled in the second picture. Is that a good indication I have a bad seal in there? It only leaks when its running, anything I can try? If it is the seals, how much would a shop charge for that.

Not really sure which gasket you are referring to but I'm guessing that it is either a leaking cylinder base gasket or inner clutch cover gasket.

Base gasket is about a 2-3 hr job. Somewhat expensive part is decided on what to freshen up while you're in there.

Inner clutch cover gasket takes about an hour. Good idea to do a water pump seal while you are there.

Start by washing your bike and pin-point where the oil is coming from before you do anything else.

is it just me or does your motor mount look cracked in the 2nd pic? ?

is it just me or does your motor mount look cracked in the 2nd pic? ?

Good eye, didn't notice that. Looks like it was in two pieces, welded back together, and is cracking again.

Is that the triangle with 3 bolts? If so yes that is cracked. I'll need to order another. Not sure why you would weld that.