Sign in to follow this  

08 530 excr valve adj help??

my factory owners manual does not have any direction for checking or adjusting the valves. i cant afford a full shop manual right now, so if any one can at least give me the specs so i can check them. if you have a link or can down load the adjustment procedure i would really appreciate it. i am vary mechanical and experienced, just not on this bike. :moon::cheers:

Your owner's manual has the specs for valve clearances. Checking the valves is easy. Remove the cam cover, and with the cam lobes pointing up measure the clearances underneath the cam with a feeler gauge. Fortunately, the new KTM's retain their valve adjustment for long intervals. Adjusting the valves is more complicated. Check Dave Hopkin's posts on Thumper Talk for an excellent write-up on the process.

my owners manual for all my other ktms have had it in manual. but my 08 does NOT have it in there i looked all last night, read every page. it just says recommended dealer service

wow over 50 hrs on it, never been checked yet {i know, i kinow, i shouldn't have waited that long, but this is a testament to ktm quality } i pop off the valve cover, rotate it to tdc,

[ my feeler guage kit doesnt have the exact sizes] spec says ".10mm-.15mm intake" and

.12mm-.17mm exhaust.. i slip in my .102mm and it slips in with a light friction, i slip in my .127mm and it wont slip in so i am well under the max of.15 and over the minimum of

.10mm. happily i move to the exhaust spec is .12mm-.17mm, i slip my .127mm in and it slips in with minimal drag like the intake. so i move to my .178mm and it wont fit under the lifter.. ta dahh still perfectly adjusted from the factory with over 50 hrs. on the motor.

time for it second... yes i know.. second oil change, which btw still looks great.

who are all those guys who whine about ktm's being high maintanace and expensive to ride pishawww .... ride on ktm brothers...thanks for the link... seriously it was great

My '09 has the valve clearance specs on a decal stuck to the top frame tube under the gas tank. I have over 120 hours on my bike and I've never needed to adjust them, though I check them regularly.

Thats awesome you guys have 50 & 120hrs on you bike and dont need adjustment!! Now if i have the same type of luck with mine, only 35hrs, but I picker er up used. A really clean bike so im expecting the same results. (08 530EXC)

Just checked my valve clearance. Couldn't find the TDC notch on the flywheel. Watched the lobes for TDC. Couldn't get the .10 under any of them. Going to order some smaller shims. Had some idling trouble before. Previous owner had bike jetted/desmoged/decorked. Bike ran great with the throttle open. Died a couple of times on me though even with the throttle open. What kind of problems do you guys think the valves having no clearance would cause? I'm going to fix the shims then trouble shoot from there. Also, where is the best place to get shims. Cycle Hutt charges 9 bucks to ship everything. Pretty good service though.

2008 EXC-R 450

Just checked my valve clearance. Couldn't find the TDC notch on the flywheel. Watched the lobes for TDC. Couldn't get the .10 under any of them. Going to order some smaller shims. Had some idling trouble before. Previous owner had bike jetted/desmoged/decorked. Bike ran great with the throttle open. Died a couple of times on me though even with the throttle open. What kind of problems do you guys think the valves having no clearance would cause? I'm going to fix the shims then trouble shoot from there. Also, where is the best place to get shims. Cycle Hutt charges 9 bucks to ship everything. Pretty good service though.

2008 EXC-R 450

How many hours does your bike have? If none of the valves have any clearance, I'm guessing you're checking them wrong.

2900 mi. 96 hrs. Tried a couple of different positions to make certain i was checking TDC. The previous owner put in 2.75 shims and they seemed a touch to big.

2008 EXC-R 450

The TDC notch is not on the flywheel, it is on the cam gear. Match the dot on the cam gear to the dot on the top of the head. Recheck the clearance from that point.