Sign in to follow this  

klx linkage bike movin ahead

Shortened the kx 85 forks an 1in and a half, upper shockmount is installed, switched to a square tubing, and wider mount plate, need to gusset now though, as well as install the lower threaded mounting blocks for the one piece glide plate.

Have the brake lever welded together now, and shaped, 1/4 in stainless steel, need to make the clevis mount now though,as well as front pad. Waiting on my front hub off of an 85 so I can lace up the front 65 wheel, going to take the frame to the machine shop so I can set the top tapered bearing race in deeper, so the top seal sets in the frame a little and gives me just a little more room on the top nut, the triple clamp sits in nicely, although thinkin I may need taller bar mounts.

Tryin to get ready for powdercoat soon, then start lookin for a motor I can refresh.

THE FRONT TiRE IS JUST SITTING ON THE BIKE, OFF OF A STOCKER SO i COULD SEE HOW IT SETS

Nice thing about the suspension, it has 9 and a half inches front and rear, of travel, close to 13 in ground clearance, on the stand the wheelbase with the wheel at its furthest point is 48 and 1/2, the suspension height is easily adjusted with different length pullrods, and not sure if i will need to shorten forks anymore, from top of fork leg to center of axel is 30 and a half inches now, about a 1/4 inch longer than the zokes, will be ordering new springs from cannon after the holidays, not sure rather i should go with .38 fronts or .36, rear 6.0 or 6.4 depends alot on the weight of this bike, anyone no approximate weights on the 110s. anyway more to come

>

klxnewphotos005.jpg

klxnewphotos004.jpg

klxnewphotos003.jpg

klxnewphotos001.jpg

klxmodlinkage015.jpg

klxmodlinkage017.jpg

klxmodlinkage016.jpg

Edited by art5

Art, nice work and keep the pictures coming. What material and layout did you use for your top shock mount? I am thinking about a similar project and would like to know how you did it. My manual lists dry weight of an '02-'06 110 at 141 lbs.

actually switched to a 1 1/4 in heavwall square tube, I set the shock upper mount position by leaving off the spring and going through the stroke in the best possible position accounting for the least amount of movement on the upper bearing, the upper mount location is not critical though, although the lower shock linkage is extremely, spent alot of time dry setting it for the best possible position. but feel pretty good about the overall set up, next step heavier springs front and rear

thanks for the top shock mount info. Could you pull the seat and take a picture of it including how it is welded or bolted off to the frame? What spring rate are you going to run in the front?

Its a squre tube welded to the back bone about where the top shock mount was, all the way across and tees into a piece of angle mounted just above the rear cdi/fender mount plate and has the top subframe rails sitting on it so its supported by frame and subframe, gives you alot of room for shock adjustment, the seat pan just rest on it up front where the pan rest on the subrame tubes, the actual tank strap mount is welded to the square backbone, prob .38 up front like the klx 140 I have uses and .64 in back