Sign in to follow this  

Back fire screen?

Do any of you remove the back fire screen ? On XR'S and crf's it makes quite a big difference , but I don't see anyone recomending it for the rmz's. If it is not restrictive enough to worry about I will leave it in.

The back fire screen is the screen mesh that's in the intake track (not the muffler). You can see it when you pull the air filter. As far as I know in stock form all 4 strokes have them, they are there to prevent the air filter from starting on fire if the engine back fires.

There is an air filter out there that's non-flameable and that makes it possible to remove the bike fire screen, but only remove it if you have that set up! If you have a regular filter and it back fires, without the screen you could be sitting on a bon-fire within a few seconds.

well that didn't tell me anything I didn't allready know. Has anyone removed thiers , and what differance did it make. Any power increase ? Did you have to re jet ?

I did it this fall when the weather got cooler, and it made a good enough difference that I had to go up on the pilot jet from #42 to a #45 . Im not sure about the warmer weather with the thinner air. Ive read alot about this in old posts and most people dont see a difference on the rmz. Hope this helped

No performance to be had...It gains like a quarter horsepower but is a lot more risky...I assure you you will NOT feel a difference...leave it in....

Makes the bike breath alot better defientley worth it, just go buy a 2 stroke 250 one and its exactly the same without the screen, worked well in my yamaha and suzuki 250fs