Sign in to follow this  

UFO Panther Headlight install, questions and PICS

Just got started on installing my UFO Panther headlight install. I may be wanting my cake and eating it too but I chose this light because of the look and not the light out put. Once it arrived I realized that the lout put was not going to be that of even the stocker. I do though really like the looks. I've temporarily mounted it up to get a look at it and find any mounting problems. After playing with it a bit this is where I am.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=82248

The bottom rubber strap mounts good and tight around the fork tube but the top mount is too high when I get it where I want it to go around the fork tube. So I removed the strap and am looking for a good place to mount the top. I guess I could make a bracket to go from the top mount down to the old headlight mount.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=82249

I'm also wondering if anyone knows if I could use the stock bulb which seems far superior to the new one that comes with the Panther. bulb on the left is the Panther bulb.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=82250

I think you need to move the headlight lower so the upper strap is below the top triple clamp. You need to take the stock mounting hardware off, which means the forks have to come out of the triple clamps as well. When you mount the headlight lower, you just need to move all your wires higher up behind the headlight. I doubt the stock bulb will fit. Good luck!

Actually got it to fit with the stock headlight mount still attached. :moon: Had it temp mounted lower but thought it should go a bit higher. That way top of number plate lines up with top of speedo.

I tried to fit the old bulb into the new headlight but it doesn't sit snug and the wire clip/tie down doesn't work with it. Panther clamps over top of bulb where the plug attach's to the stocker. Maybe have to modify it? Also thought about a HID bulb set up for the Panther setup. Only gets deeper and deeper!!!

If I end up using the new bulb How does everyone go about wiring the new bulb with out cutting the stock plug? I assume you use flat connectors on some wire with female connectors on the other end of a short piece of wire? Is there a source for different connectors to plug into this new light and jump of the stock connector?

Here is one on a bike that I sold. I like them better than a Cyclops.

Fg

Can you tell me how the wiring went when you mounted yours up? a bit electrically illiterate:bonk: Did you use blade connectors to the stock connector then short piece of wire to small female connectors on the new light? If so which to which??? Also did you jump wire to the small upper bulb and if so which to which? Sorry, me and wiring:banghead: