Sign in to follow this  

How many kicks does it take to start your CRF

Just wondering if there alot of people out there that trouble starting there CRF 450r. Even with all the tips on cold starts, my 02 takes about 20-30 kicks to finally get going. How many people out there have bikes that start in less then 5 kicks?

My 03 starts within the first couple kicks even when it's been sitting in the garage for a couple of weeks. Several of the nights have been in the negatives as well.

my 05 takes 1 kick when hot and 1-2 when cold. I did find out that my engine stop button is a POS and sometime prevents my bike from starting.

20-30 kicks if definetely way to much.

Im not much of a 4 stroke bike guy, but I would definetely start with making sure the carb is dialed in correctly first and then look at valvetrain like mentioned.

its likely the valves if it requires that many kicks. My 05' take a few when cold, 3-5 kicks. When hot, 1-2 kicks.

When cold, put the choke on twist the throttle three times and then give it two maybe three full kicks without touching the throttle. When hot it starts on the first kick.

1-2 when cold or hot. Once or twice it took like 300 kicks when very very hot. Since then I had a "carb mod" done. Hasn't happened since, but I don't think I stalled it when it was super hot either.

Ok I think its really clear that he has a problem, its pretty pointless for everyone to sit here and tell him you only have to kick your bike a couple times.... lol.

Like I mentioned earlier, start with the carb. Make sure fuel is fresh, carb is clean and jetting correctly.

I mention the carb first because its alot easier to check the carb first + you gave no information as if you just picked the bike up, weather changes causing it, etc.

Ok, thanks for the replys guys. Well here goes, I've already done everything that everyone has mentioned. Got the bike used, it's an 02, it always had a hard to start problem and high idle. I even took it to 2 well known shops to pay them to see if they could figure it out but no luck. I've built off road rally cars for 10 years and know alot about cars and bikes but this was the first time that I had to take my own stuff and pay someone else to try to help me but no luck. I've done this already

- New piston and it has good compression

- New OEM valves and valve job, valves are in spec

- tried changing pilots 42-50

- even bought a whole other carb

- Timing is lined up on the marks

- Fresh gas

- TDC kicks every time

- Unhooked the kill switch

- Slide plate on with the point up

- Because I had taken it to 2 shops and they checked over all my work and found everything looks in place, I need to start trying other stuff, i've tried and checked the stuff listed above at least 7 different times

I've always felt that the timing was off but the marks all line up. The bike has a trail tech flywheel but the flywheel has no timing marks on it. Im thinking that the flywheel might be off set alittle causing the timing to be too advance hopefully causing the hard to start and high idle. I'm gonna try to swap flywheels today and see what happens. What do you guys think could cause the timing to be off. It has the baja light kits and a trail tech computer, I'm also gonna try to unhook these seeing it is pulling too much juice from the stator weakening the spark. 20-30 kicks, during the all those kicks, it wants to start but just won't catch and keep going, it would only cough for a good second and shut off.