Sign in to follow this  

New paint on my DRZ - some suggestions please :)

After my spill late in the summer, I had to "refurbish" some of the plastics on my DRZ... I went a little overboard and painted all the plastics a matte gunmetal grey.

I like it a lot - but it seems like I'm missing some graphics. What do you guys think I should do?

Also - at night, my bike looks totally stealth... Too stealth for my liking. Any ideas where I can buy some nice looking reflectors for the fork guards or something to make night visibility just a tad better?

drz1.jpg

drz2.jpg

Done! Do nothing more! It looks sick man!

Agreed.

If you are worried about being seen at night add some of those reflective wheel stripes. Otherwise don't screw up a good thing.

agreed it looks great.

but I think a little more visibility at night wouldnt hurt either. You could get some of the stock reflectors that mount w a brkt above the front fender and the reflectors hang to either side of the front fender Im sure lots of people take them off, I left mine on and at MASS inspection this year the guy commented he woulda failed me if they werent there

+1 on the wheel stripes if thats your thing

I thought lights were for visability at night! That colour looks great, stealth DRZ!

LOL how about just doing an overspray with clear glow in the dark paint. That'll make you visible at night

Man, I just looked at the stock reflectors on the front fender, and they look out of place. I guess I didn't realize how weird they look cause when I picked up my bike, it didn't have them.

Maybe I'll put together some sort of sidemarker.

OK - so general consensus... no to graphics :moon:

Chrome grafix FTW...:moon:..you need bling.....

No way. Less is more.

My plastics were are fugged up so I just sanded them down and got about the same look. Got bored with it and added some graphics. Can't wait to rip them off and go back to stealth mode.

IMG_1044.jpg

kenr74 - how well do those "under the handlebar" mirrors work? The little tiny powermadd mirrors are convex and I'm having a hard time getting used to them (the damn cars look so far away when I check the mirrors)

kenr74 - how well do those "under the handlebar" mirrors work?

Ray_Can_t_See_Shit.jpg

I actually made those for about $1.10 each so they are probably not the best you can find. They are also convex and just on there to appear legal. Most of my riding is towards trails or back home. The city limited riding I do is the type where I don't want to see what is left behind.:moon:

Put some red/white hazard tape on the swingarm.

I can see great out of my mirrors under my arms. Convex ones do suck though.

Ohhh, or how about some of these single LED strobe lights I found, use them as side marker lights. That would get you noticed for sure. :moon::cheers:😏

You could put an inch wide strip of reflective tape on the front lip of the front fender. A strip on the bottom of the hand guards, and a small amount under the rear fender. It would allow you to keep the nice stealth look and give you the ability to be seen at night. I think if they see a little flash of reflector people think kids on a bicycle, watch out and look! But they hear loud exhaust and a single headlight and run someone down? I think your bike looks killer like it is!!! What kind of paint did you use on the plastic or metal? Hows it holding up? I have some small plastic parts I had thought about painting.

You could put an inch wide strip of reflective tape on the front lip of the front fender. A strip on the bottom of the hand guards, and a small amount under the rear fender. It would allow you to keep the nice stealth look and give you the ability to be seen at night. I think if they see a little flash of reflector people think kids on a bicycle, watch out and look! But they hear loud exhaust and a single headlight and run someone down? I think your bike looks killer like it is!!! What kind of paint did you use on the plastic or metal? Hows it holding up? I have some small plastic parts I had thought about painting.

Good ideas! I think I'm gonna start with some reflective rim tape first (if it looks crappy - I'll just take it off). I'm thinking of getting the black stuff that reflects silver.

I have access to a full body shop that my buddy opened. I've done autobody before, but not a pro at this by all means.

I had some massively deep scrapes on the cowling and left side of the bike. I filled it up with plastic bumper repair compound.

Sanded everything down, put in some urethane primer with LOTS of flex additive and plastic adhesion promoter (to make it stick better to plastic), then sprayed two coats of two part autobody paint and a couple coats of matte clear coat. Flex additive is the key for soft plastics on dirt bikes so it doesn't crack when the plastic flexes.

The colour is actually from an Italian scooter company - Paiggio. It's a gunmetal gray with metallic flake in it.