need some help and ideas

so i have a 2009 450x and i was racing alot of desert. starting jan i am going to be racing WORCS...its about half desert with some motorcross jumps. due to me being broke i cant really buy a new bike. and so i am going to convert my x to a WORCS bike. the 450r is 230lbs and the x is 264 lbs i am trying to shave some weight. i am taking the ims tank off and putting the stock one on because i can moto for an hour on 2.3 gallons. i am going to take the headlight off and put a stock number plate on. also i am going to take the battey out and as well.... is there any idea that you all have. THANKS PRESTON

You're going to really be cutting it real close with the stock tank (especially under race conditions). Most WORCS guys run the IMS tank.

I assume you already have an aftermarket muffler & header? The e-start motor adds weight, but not sure if that can be removed. The X uses heavier duty parts in places (e.g. o-ring chain which weighs more). The suspension is very different between the two models... I suspect some of the weight difference is there as well, which you can't really do much about except use titanium springs. Hell, use titanium wherever you can. Remove headlight and just run a shell. The entire X wiring harness probably weighs more than the R.

Good luck with the season!

I suggest you only monkey with the suspension and get your feet wet in Round 1, then take it from there.

You said you're broke, why start doing mods?

Doing all you mentioned is going to put you how much farther ahead in the moto compared to not doing the mods?

Go to your local mx track for an hour a week for practice and you'll be better off than doing the mods (imo).

Then again, if you want to go R style I have a complete R rear end (subframe, airbox, plastic, seat) available if you're interested.

If there's anything left of me and my 450X after the Parker 250 I might do Round 1 at Speedway in PHX. I have a desertized 450R (the gymnasium bike) and if I do Round 1 my preferred ride would be the 450X. I know that might sound odd since the opening round is more of a moto type format but the 450X does pretty awesome unless your a 100 foot triple guy or the track has a bunch of micro turns. Practice moto on the X and get your timing down. The X is a versatile machine. Tinker with gearing a little maybe and forget about stripping it. You'll need all that X crap like the E-start for other rounds:)

Back when I was a young whippersnapper and was racing moto I used to talk to my dad about ideas to lighten my bike- these discussions usually took place in the garage while sipping a coke (or in his case, beer) and eating some pizza. He'd laugh and say "what sense does it make to spend money to lighten the bike when you can lighten 10+ lbs off the rider AND save money by drinking water instead of coke!". :moon: