2010 450F Any breakdowns

Well I have had my 2010 now since Thanksgiving weekend. Because of the cold and snow I have not ridden as much as I would like to, but I have managed to put just over 9hrs on the bike. I raced a local indoor arenacross and the only major change I did to the suspension was to install .48 fork springs. So far I am happy with this setup. One thing I did notice while racing was my boot toe kept getting hung up under the brake pedal. There is a flat spot under the tip of the pedal that is not on previous models.

I rode some desert last weekend and developed an oil leak that surfaced from the weep hole on the cylinder head.

DSCN1119.jpg

DSCN1117.jpg

I tore into it to find the source of the leak and found this split in the valve cover gasket.

DSCN1121.jpg

A couple of things I have noticed while into it are - how accessible the cams are from above.

DSCN1124.jpg

DSCN1123.jpg

When the cam marks are lined up on TDC there are no 12:00 marks to count cam chain pins between.

DSCN1126.jpg

Also to access the valve cover there is a plastic pan to remove. It is held in place with these plastic rivets into the frame. They pretty much suck and it would be a good idea to buy a six pack of them to keep in your tool box.

DSCN1122.jpg

I was able to mount up my steering damper from my 09 with a mod to the risers. I'm pretty happy with the setup.

DSCN1120.jpg

One last thing. I have had terrible luck with bending up the radiators on this bike. They really need a good cage for protection.

DSCN1127.jpg

I am happy overall with the bike, but there is a learning curve for me to work on it. There is a lot more bolts and wires than in previous model years.

JB

quote from second post

Also to access the valve cover there is a plastic pan to remove. It is held in place with these plastic rivets into the frame. They pretty much suck and it would be a good idea to buy a six pack of them to keep in your tool box

these plastic riverts are reusable i read in manual you need to push centre down and this relese them and to refit pull them out then put them place push centre level

page 1-11 in manual

Did anybody break something on 2010 450f ? My dealer told i can easily go

20h piston manual give only 12h? Any problems whit over heating?

if it like most yamaha it will go to a 100hrs on a piston depending on riding i replaced one on a 250f after 120hrs and it looked new and was still in tolarance i did not race might be a diffrent story if you where riding real hard

overheating ? i rode in 34 degrees c for 20 min sections and was riding at medium pace and my temp was around 72 degrees c which i been told is normal i did check someone elese bike and he was riding hard and his was around 72 degrees c

starting varys anyware between 1 to 4 kicks

i have had no other problems

quote from second post

Also to access the valve cover there is a plastic pan to remove. It is held in place with these plastic rivets into the frame. They pretty much suck and it would be a good idea to buy a six pack of them to keep in your tool box

these plastic riverts are reusable i read in manual you need to push centre down and this relese them and to refit pull them out then put them place push centre level

page 1-11 in manual

If you just popped them up with a screwdriver like I did with mine and break them you can get replacements at Napa. The part number is 665-2407, you have to snip the top edge off of one but they do fit.

i broke some stuff on mine but only at about 2hrs lol, had a bit of a bad get off with a wash out, but since then done 10hrs i think still waiting for my power tuner and been preety good, i also bent the radiator in my get off, but it was more in the mounts then the actual shape, so was able to just pull it back into spot, hopefully stuff will be avaliable soon in australia.