Sign in to follow this  

what motor is this??

posted this in the street section yesterday, but no response. I am getting this bike as part of a trade deal. the frame is from an FT500 I think not sure about the motor, ft500s didn't have a kickstart. also unsure of the swingarm and forks. pretty excited about the project, just trying to piece together a little info on it.

Thanks, Derek

12-27-09_1123.jpg

12-27-09_1124.jpg

12-27-09_1125.jpg

Are you sure there was not a kick start ascot?I seem to remember a buddies having a kicker. That was a long time ago so I may be mistaken.

all the info I have dug up points to the ascot having no kickstart option, one of the bikes' Achilles heels. definitely appears to be an XR motor though which is good. This guy has no idea what he has, which makes it all the more fun. I'm pretty sure that is an ascot tank, but still drawing a blank on the swingarm, the ascot ones ive seen didn't have that lower round gusset on them. and the forks are a lot meatier than stock. off to do more investigating I guess. hoping the rims are 17s, cant tell by the pic though

Thanks for the input so far guys. Derek

ft500.jpg

Edited by monkeyoflove
found pic

I had a 1982 ascott (FT500) with 50,000 miles on it! It was electric start and had a 18" rear wheel. The engine was very similar to the XL500 but there were a few minor differences.

Wow! Cool Bike!

looks like somebody had set it up for roadracing singles class

swing arm and spoked wheels are definitely not stock, look like custom racing parts

if you can find motor number, motor may be verified

Honda singles usually below front sprocket

normally 5 digits - combined alpha and numeric

followed by 7 digits - all numeric

Good luck and good find!

Looks like someone swapped out the original engine and put in one from an early XR500 or XL500. The Ascot never came with a kickstarter.

here is the description he sent me. I guess English isn't required to graduate high school anymore.

"heres a couple pics of the bike it rund its a cafe racer honda 500 all board out hella runs grate just needs bee finishe needa a seat and back fender i have the seat but no fender. let me kno"

When did they start using the RFVC head on these motors?? Is there a quick visual indicator to tell them apart??

I don't think they used the RFVC heads until 600 motors in early to mid 80's

visually RFVC is cast in a rounded shape on the LH side of valve cover

also RFVC heads had individual valve adjuster caps spaced widely apart, where the older 4 valve motors had 1 wide cover for each pair of intake and exhaust valve adjusters

either motor it's still a cool looking bike

are you sure he graduated?

Good Luck

The RFVC cylinder head design appeared in 1983 on the entire XR line: 200, 250, 350, 500. They all had dual carbs. In 1985, the 600 replaced the 500 as the big-bore, and the 350 went back to a single carb for its final year.