Sign in to follow this  

!978 185 what fits.

I see a lot of posting about the 84/85 motors and what they fit and don't fit.. What years fit the 1980 and older 185 frames I know 2 valve xr 200's fit, do any of the xr250's fit. I have a flatracker w/stock frame for vintage class and was hoping to put a 250 in it. Has to have dual shocks to be in that class. Do any of the old sl 250 motors fit this frame.

Edited by martym8

bolt in?? Nope.

not-totally-whack-engineering-required? Sure. Some fabrication required... :moon:

Thanks but what are you responding to the xr250 or the

sl 250 install . I have looked at the 1979 xr 250 and it looks like a direct bolt in,just trying to find out before moving forward. A little more detail or a web site would be appreciated.

Edited by martym8

Well, both, really.

I would have guessed that the XR250 was not a bolt-in into the 185 chassis only because the height of the 250 motor may be a bit taller than the 185. But, I could be wrong on that.

As for the SL250, they were only called the "SL" model for a year (maybe two) before the series was renamed XL.

I'm also pretty certain that the SL/XL 250's are not bolt-in to the 185 chassis either because the cases / bottom-end was larger than the later 185/200 motor.

But, again, that's BOLT-IN. IMO, either motor can be MADE to fit with only semi-major surgery. Slight widening of the rear mounts, slight narrowing of the bolt bosses on the motor, new motor mount plates in front or on top, that sorta thing.

Good luck with it!

Kirk

And, by the way, proper punctuation is always appreciated on these forums - commas, periods, that sorta thing. :moon:

So you really don't know... I know you can fit any thing with a torch,grinder and a welder .... Thanks:bonk:

When you find out, be sure to post back with the results, so then we'll all know rather than making educated guesses. :banghead: