Sign in to follow this  

first truck

ill be turning 16 in 2 months my parents told me to decide what kind of truck i want, but i have no idea i need something to drive to school and fire department also to pull a 19 foot motorcycle trailer and preferably a 4x4 what should i get

15k is rich for a 16YO getting his/her first vehicle for many folks.

My folks were not bad off and I was a responsible kid when I started driving, but my budget was around $1200 (in today's dollars), and what I got was a loan with parent as cosignor.

15k will net you a decent used Tacoma. Great truck; will drag far more ('05 or newer, 6500 lbs) than what you need and is a mountian goat off road. Decent fuel economy, and cheap to maintain too.

Edited by bronc3

Wow when I was 16 my parents bought me a $500 pickup and I did all of the work and put my money into it to make it nice. But props to you that is cool that your parents have/are willing to spend 15k on a first rig for you.

For that kind of coin you could get a 2000 or newer 1/2 ton in any flavor. I am more of a GM/Dodge guy but Ford does put out a decent product. You really cant go wrong with any of them.

But for more advice and suggestions we need more information. What do you like/dislike? Preferences on engine, trans, 4x4, etc.. Also do you really need a full size pickup or will a dakota/tacoma/ranger work just fine for your needs? crew cab/ext. cab? etc...............................

Good Luck!

-mt-

your so lucky man, i just turned 16 last month and my parents are making me pay for a vehicle with my own money. but damn driving is so much fun haha

what should i get

A Job.

And then with the money that you EARNED yourself, buy a little ranger or something. You will appreciate what you have, and will be able to be justifiably proud of what you've accomplished.

Racer101, I didn't even spend that much on myself. Consider this. I got a used 98 Explorer, 4X4 with 4.0 and tow package, that's got the good 3.73 gearing. It only had 73,000 miles on it. It will seat 4 guys and all their riding gear in the dry. It gives 22 mpg, that's right. Mine did it on a trip last year with a trailer and 2 bikes for 1200 miles. If I had your funding, I would have paid for the truck and had $10,000 left over to buy a new Husaburg 450. Consider it. But then, the thought of crashing a $10,000 dirt bike makes me cry. I only paid $200 for my 98 ktm300

Edited by ronbuell

i wouldnt say we are rich but we do have money but i had to work to get them to offer that much i have to take care of all the animals and we live on an 80 acre farm so alot of animals i had to help remodel our new house bring my grades from d and f to a and b i had to stay out of trouble and have a job that got me 10000 and my dad gave me 5000

hahaha! My 1st car cost $50! my next car was $200. Your 1st car should be a beater with a 5 spd everytime since most kids today wreck their 1st vehicle within a year of getting their license.

My 3rd car was a brand new Mustang GT Limited Edition, that I paid for.!

Anyway, They all have good midsize pickups, but I think Ronbuell is right about the explorer. Gas is expensive now and even though when I was 17 and gas was a $1 a gallon it was still expensive at age 17 and hard to pay for.

Good luck and drive safely!

I wouldn't really consider $15k rich... but if you say so.

I'd look at Ford and GM half tons, you cant really go wrong.

Being able to hand your 16 yr old kid $15k to go vehicle shopping?

That's doing pretty well, if you ask me.

I'd think about getting a 4wd...Do really need one?...If so, then by all means, but if not then save some money and get a better 2wd...

My son just bought a used truck, my advise was to get the larger engine (5.4 vs 4.6) and the extra cab...those were deal beakers...I also told him he was better off with possibly a lower trim level in exchange for lower milage...

You should do pretty good with your budget...:banghead:

I took everybodys advice and got something cheap. I bought a 1982 toyota pickup SR5 4x4 5-speed with 100,000 miles for 1500. I also bought a kx125 for 2,000 and put the rest of my money up.

Good work. My first ride my dad sold to me for 250 bucks and I got the bad end of that deal. It wasnt untill I was 23 that I had a respectable car that cost more then a grand. Its true, you are just going to wreck it anyways. I do like that your bike costs more then your truck and you had to work for it . Congrats old Yota's are kewl