Kick stand wobble & lean

I've noticed that my kick (or side) stand isn't as tight as I think it used to be.

It's either worn or more likely bent open slightly. This allows the stand to lean outwards more than it should. With the stand down you can push it inwards towards the bike about an inch at the end. This has the effect of making the bike stand a little more upright which also takes more weight off the stand.

My old Honda MTX125 was forever doing this and so I would take the stand off, beat it with a hammer to close the gap a little, then refit. This would work for a while but then it'd be loose again.

What's should I do for my DRZ?

I don't really want to weaken the welds by re-bending it if it's only going happen again.

Cheers, Rich.

• 2 years later...

I've noticed that my kick (or side) stand isn't as tight as I think it used to be.

It's either worn or more likely bent open slightly. This allows the stand to lean outwards more than it should. With the stand down you can push it inwards towards the bike about an inch at the end. This has the effect of making the bike stand a little more upright which also takes more weight off the stand.

My old Honda MTX125 was forever doing this and so I would take the stand off, beat it with a hammer to close the gap a little, then refit. This would work for a while but then it'd be loose again.

What's should I do for my DRZ?

I don't really want to weaken the welds by re-bending it if it's only going happen again.

Cheers, Rich.

I have the same situation. In addition, I dropped the bike recently & then the stand hit the swing arm. I bent it back out & it was OK after. I will try & tighten the bolt again but it doesnt seem to clamp it tight if I remember correctly from the last time I tried to tighten it,

There are various special tools and tricks. Generally if I put the spring on first, I can get the side stand on and the bolt in. Another rick is to the flex the spring back and forth to put washers or pennies between the coils to make the spring long enough to install.

I used a very thin washer over the bolt before installing it and that took the slack out.

I did a similar thing. I found a nice large washer and filed it thinner to turn it into a shim of the right thickness to fit inside the stand top (bracket part), that took the slack out of the stand so she stands tall again.

I did a similar thing. I found a nice large washer and filed it thinner to turn it into a shim of the right thickness to fit inside the stand top (bracket part), that took the slack out of the stand so she stands tall again.

Glad it worked,by sliding the thin washer over the bolt it has the same effect as "shortening" the shoulder on the bolt. ?

As Noble suggested, I used shims to expand the springs with the stand down, which made the springs removable in the up position. I removed the nut & bolt, added a washer under the head of the bolt (There are threads on the back part of the stand that the shoulder bolt screws into & the nut acts as a locknut), greased everything, adjusted the torque on the bolt while operating the stand up & down, degreased threads, blue locktight, adjusted the torque on the nut while operating the stand up & down (several times for both) untill it was just right ?

After getting out of the sun, cleaned up, dinner & some beer, I have more to add ? I believe that craigo is right & there is play in the parts from wear (smooth shoulder of bolt, hole in the frame piece, stand) & that the washer is probably a temporary fix, but it is allot better. I use & abuse the stand & depend on it so I would like to keep it functioning well.

I also took the opportunity to drill & tap a bolt to attach a piece of ¼" steel to put the stand back to its original position. I cant find the thread but years ago I took the advice of a TT poster to cut a slice out of the frame where the stand rests to make the stand lower for SM wheels. I have used various methods to hold the stand up for S wheels that never lasted. I think I have the final solution. Its not pretty but it works. I will post pics when I get a chance.