1994 KX250 Restoration

Finally got my mid 90's restoration project. She's been abused, but do-able. The idea is to use only OEM/NOS parts to bring her back to "showroom" condition. This bike most likely will NOT be ridden if the restoration goes as planned. Maaaaaybe a coupla easy laps around a track at a vet/vintage weekend....maybe.

The bike is LOADED with aftermarket parts so I'll be unloading those at some point.

IMG_6462.jpg

IMG_6463.jpg

IMG_6466.jpg

Slightly used Twin Ring. :banghead:

IMG_6467.jpg

IMG_6468.jpg

IMG_6469.jpg

IMG_6470.jpg

IMG_6471.jpg

Edited by Jeekinz

I believe they were dunlop, not sure what style though..... that is going to look sweet, nothing looks better than an original old school bike.

I am doing the same thing to my 89 YZ 250

What kind of luck have you had with OEM graphics, seat and pipe? Those seem to be the most difficult items to come by. Do you have a thread here? I'd like to check it out.

I did find a company that makes the graphics and seat but they only do yamahas, and its expensive(130 for full graphics, and like 60 for seat cover). As far as a pipe I do not have one yet, I just troll ebay and keep my eyes open for one with out dents that I might be able to refinish. I havent started a thread, I have a bunch of pictures just have not gotten around to posting yet, I will do that soon. On a side note I have the oem pipe for my 97kx 250, I dont know if that would fit your bike or not but it is in good shape, it came with the bike when I bought it. this is what I am going for on my yz minus the black rims(not my bike)

2009%5C05%5C20%5Cbikepics-1673074-800.jpg

I'm pretty sure the Radiators are suppose to be silver Jeekinz...I'm also pretty sure that 97 OEM exhaust will fit that 94 too. Nice fork guards, lol. Weird looking frame protectors.

This is gonna be a cool build.:banghead: Im also going to make a thread of my 1994 CR250 Mcgrath replica here soon. I have some pics in my garage.:bonk:

I'm pretty sure the Radiators are suppose to be silver Jeekinz...I'm also pretty sure that 97 OEM exhaust will fit that 94 too. Nice fork guards, lol. Weird looking frame protectors.

Yeah, the 97 should fit, but I think they're different shape and color. I'm not too positive though. I'm trying to get as exact as possible. I even found some green steel handlebars to put back on.....I even plan on getting those little black OEM wire ties to re-install.

This is gonna be a cool build.:banghead: Im also going to make a thread of my 1994 CR250 Mcgrath replica here soon. I have some pics in my garage.:ride:

See, you guys SUCK! Cuz I saw that McGrath/800-COLLECT thread and wanted to do a Splitfire replica but the friggin candy ass graphics companies won't reproduce a set for me and those guys doing the 800-Collect won't copy them.

Anywho, that CR is gonna be sweet! Make sure you come back here with a link.

Jeekinz did my taxes help pay for those US Mail boxes under your workbench?

Probobly....thanks alot. Beats that crap from Ikea. :bonk:

Good on you for taking on a project like this. Its going to take some time and $$ to find all the bits to make it showroom.

If you want I could dig through my magazines and scan up some ads/tests on this model for ya, not sure if I have one for that year though.

I had wanted to do a 94/95 mcgrath replica but may decide on something else, I would prefer something more unique.

An 82 kx250 comes to mind, I used to race one back in the day. But wow are those bikes rare! The only ones Ive seen available here were beat to death.

Probobly....thanks alot. Beats that crap from Ikea. :bonk:

Cant think of a better use for them, glad to be of help. :banghead:

jeekinz ....how much do you want for the fmf silencer?? i need one asap but dont have the $ for a new one .... will you take $50 assuming its in ok shape? plz let me know ..... thanks

If you want I could dig through my magazines and scan up some ads/tests on this model for ya, not sure if I have one for that year though.

If you could that would be great! :banghead:

Well, I went over the bike a little, changed the tranny oil and drain plug washer. Fresh premix, new fuel line and plug, borrowed the kicker from my 2000 and she fired up pretty easily. Rattles like a vibrator trapped inside the silverware drawer, but she runs ok. Started a list of parts I'll be needing.

Found these little honeys too. Seems to be more aftermarket crap than Kawi parts.

IMG_6482.jpg

IMG_6487.jpg

• Like 1

jeekinz ....how much do you want for the fmf silencer?? i need one asap but dont have the $ for a new one .... will you take $50 assuming its in ok shape? plz let me know ..... thanks

I was going to buy the one that the guy with the 96 has, but I don't need it anymore. You should PM him.

BRB with the link....

This guy: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=866055

I might have another silencer though, stock. What year bike is it?

Thanks for confirming daled.

The only thing I found on the rotor was "6015X" but the 1 could be a 4....looks like a 1 though. No other markings that I could see.

Good call on the tires K490 front and F737 rear. I can find the front but I guess the rear is too outdated. Anyone know of a decent replacement?

about the black rads, my friend has a 95 kx125 and i thought his were painted but if yours are black also, maybe they came stock? i would think they would be silver, but i don't know for sure.