DRZ 400E Radiator Replacement

Can I replace my Lt side 2001 DRZ 400E radiator with one from an S or SE model. Radiators look like they mount the same and the inlets and outlets are in the same place. They do have mounting brackets for the fan which I do not need and they have what I would call a temp switch located in the radiator that I would not need either. Are the radiators hose connections on the radiators all the same size or are the S and SE models larger hoses? Looks to me they should work, but just wondering if anyone has replaced their E radiator with one from and S or SE model. Thanks, John

I can't answer your question directly but I can give you some things to look at.

First off, what is an SE? do you mean SM?

Suzuki has used several radiator hose routings and I have not kept track of what was used when. However, E models use parallel flow and no thermostat. What this means is the coolant flows through both radiators at the same time. More or less half thru each radiator.

S and SM models use serial flow and a thermostat. What this means is all the coolant flows through first one radiator then the other. This means all of the coolant flows past the fan when it is running.

When mixing and matching radiators, pay attention to the placement and size of the the nozzles. They are not all the same.

• 1 month later...