thumpididump

removing cylinder from '03 DR650

10 posts in this topic

OK, been trying to get the cylinder off the engine (without removing the entire engine from the bike. It's ready to come out, but the front timing chain guide is causing me no end of grief. I can lift the cylinder just fine until it hits the top of the bike's frame, but the timing chain guide is preventing me from fishing the cylinder out of there.

Is there a way to remove the guide? Preferably, a way to do it without breaking it?

In the repair manual it says that there is a holder for the bottom of the front cam chain guide cast into the crankcase. It may just pull out of its location. I also looked at the microfiche on ronayers.com and it shows only one bolt for the rear chain guide and none on the front.

I have not had mine apart that far, but in the pictures I can't see any bolt to hold the bottom in.

OK, been trying to get the cylinder off the engine (without removing the entire engine from the bike. It's ready to come out, but the front timing chain guide is causing me no end of grief. I can lift the cylinder just fine until it hits the top of the bike's frame, but the timing chain guide is preventing me from fishing the cylinder out of there.

Is there a way to remove the guide? Preferably, a way to do it without breaking it?

The front guide will just pull right out.

Once the head and head gasket are removed there is nothing holding in place.

After lots of screwing around (and beer) I finally got the thing out of the bike. The fact that I removed both the cylinder and the head without separating them probably added frustration.

IMG_1683-1.jpg

I had the same problem and finally I got it. Turn the cylinder 90 degrees clock wise and pull it to the left side.

Edited by Ronen Festinger

Not to ask a stupid question, but why wouldn't you have removed the head before removing the cylinder?  You must have removed the cams to release the cam chain so why not pull the head first?

1 person likes this

Not to ask a stupid question, but why wouldn't you have removed the head before removing the cylinder?  You must have removed the cams to release the cam chain so why not pull the head first?

The DR is an old school single cam with tappets. The cam gear is unbolted from the cam to remove the cam chain. It's a different setup from the modern Japanese 4 strokes.

Just now, bkoz said:

The DR is an old school single cam with tappets. The cam gear is unbolted from the cam to remove the cam chain. It's a different setup from the modern Japanese 4 strokes.

I still don't understand why you wouldn't remove the head prior to removing the cylinder.  Were you just avoiding removing the cam shaft and the tappets?

I still don't understand why you wouldn't remove the head prior to removing the cylinder.  Were you just avoiding removing the cam shaft and the tappets?

I am not the OP and I just noticed this thread is 7 years old!

Posted (edited)

My head was stuck because the 2 side nuts that hold it to the cylinder were stripped with hard access to them. 

After removing both head and cylinder, it was much easier to remove the nuts using vise grips.

The cam chain doesn't need to be removed, it can fall down the sump, and you can remove it from the bottom end.

Edited by Ronen Festinger