Can you wheely your DR?

On flat ground I have hit two really nice balance point wheelies, the first one started off by accident. I had by Pelican cases on the bike and had my calculus and biology books in them (about 60lbs extra weight). I meant to pull out kinda fast, but wound up lofting the front instead. At first it scared me, but the bike just seemed to settle in a nice, comfortable zone so I just rode it out for about 30 or 40 feet. When I let off the gas the front went down gently.

The whole thing was a happy accident, I wish I'd had a camera going!

I did it a second time without the cases and books on the bike, not as long, but the bike came up and back down just as easy.

There's a road near my house that goes down a hill, across some RR tracks and on down the hill... I can loft the front on the tracks and wheelie down the hill, or wheelie up the hill till I hit the tracks. It's fun, but it's also right behind the county courthouse....?:ride:

In 1st the front comes off the ground effortlessly, in 2nd I can do roll-on wheelies no problem.

If I wanna go for distance in 2nd I slip the clutch a bit and get it vertical. My friends laugh because I'll then slide my a$$ down the seat and look under the handle bars.

In 3rd I need a good bump in the road, the kind that gives you the butterfly-in-the-belly-feeling, and a whole lot of pull...like kiss the front fender and throw the body back and pin it at the apex of the hill.

If I'm out for real distance I'll clutch it up in 2nd then shift 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Although with lift off being about 35-40km/h in second and the front coming back down at 120-140 km/h it makes for a hell of a jolt let me tell ya! :ride:

In 1st the front comes off the ground effortlessly, in 2nd I can do roll-on wheelies no problem.

If I wanna go for distance in 2nd I slip the clutch a bit and get it vertical. My friends laugh because I'll then slide my a$$ down the seat and look under the handle bars.

In 3rd I need a good bump in the road, the kind that gives you the butterfly-in-the-belly-feeling, and a whole lot of pull...like kiss the front fender and throw the body back and pin it at the apex of the hill.

If I'm out for real distance I'll clutch it up in 2nd then shift 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Although with lift off being about 35-40km/h in second and the front coming back down at 120-140 km/h it makes for a hell of a jolt let me tell ya! :ride:

i think we have a winner. tell him what he won rob.

could u share with us your set up gearing your weight the hole 9 yards intake exhaust, everytang Dude.

I guess this video should clear up the confusion whether it's the bike or the rider. :ride: (not me!)

Uh, yea? No kidding! Didn't look much like Austria. Pheiffer is a lot better!

He's one of the best stunters I've seen.

Having ridden with and hung out with the late Doug "The Wheelie King" Dumokus, I was able to cop a bit of his technique. It's all about the rear brake and feeling for the "Balance Point".

Doug and I once raced down Latigo Cyn. rd. (a good twisty road in Malibu, CA) He routinely scraped the rear fender, going over beyond 90 degrees with ease on his borrowed Yamaha RZ350 (Robert's Replica) He was a true master. How did he not go over backwards? Rear Brake control. Ever see the video of Rossi coming across the finish line and ALMOST looping his bike at about 160 MPH? Val just saved it! Once again, rear brake. Keep your foot perched over the rear brake and you will never go over, even if beyond 90 degrees.

Doug was a great all around rider too. Passing guys going round tight corners .... all the while holding the wheelie. :ride: Simply amazing.

My only concern about holding long wheelies on a four stroke would be oil starvation in the top end. This can happen.

I remember leaving Infineon Raceway one year, heading back on Highway 37 to 101. Fast, straight two lane road. A kid on a CBR600 comes by at about 70 mph in a nice stand up wheelie. He held that wheelie for five miles in a perfect stand up the whole way.?

Hope this works, online with my Blackberry. I'm 5'6 and 180 in decent shape. Bike has Hindle/ GSXR, Dyno jet with 165 main and 4th groove down, Jessie's air b ox mod, slide drilled and 3 coils cut off the spring. 17" Supermoto with Distanzia's, .50 front springs, DRZ400 rear shock with 8.1 spring, 15 - 42 sprockets

In the video the guy on the DR was sitting at the very back of the seat. Back in the day I think it was Cycle World that did a story on Doug Dumokus. If I remember right, he said that the more weight you place above the center of gravity the easier it made the bike to wheelie.

• 1 year later...

Ah yes. I've been riding sporadically the past 25yrs. I've never gotten the front wheel up beyond a certain point for just as long. I like the open-close-open idea. I think I will be trying that. It seems like it would be a nice stable method compared to all my previous, more hilarious tries.? I'm just not good at it...?

i have popped a wheelie a time or two on accident does that count? first to second stock gears it comes up pretty easy but the bike is still new to me and i am use to rolling the throttle hard on shifts since my other bike is a Harley and you gotta do that to get the dame thing out into traffic haha i know its not gonna pop anything expect for maybe an engine ahahha

• 1 month later...