Sign in to follow this  

Downsize 250 to 125?

I'd like to hear some opinions on trading my 2002 Honda CR250 for a 2005 Honda CR125. I'm looking to do some local racing for fun this year and am not sure if the 250 would be best. I'm 5' 9" and 150lbs and have been riding about 7years. Both bikes are in great condition, but I've found that the 250 gets to be quite a handful sometimes. :ride: I've never ridden a 125 2stroke before (85's, 230, 250-2&4) and will doing 90% track riding this year. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

What class do you want to race? The 125 you will have to keep it on the "pipe"...Maybe try your 250 in the D class and see what you think....never know you might like racing the 250.......good luck....

• Like 1

If your going to be racing, I would not suggest the 125. The 250 would be your best bet. If you feel like its tough to handle, I would look into gearing it higher by going down a tooth or two on the rear sprocket. It will help with the abruptness of the the bikes power and help with overall rider fatigue. 250 two strokes can compete with the 250fs but I don't see a 125 hanging with the 250f's without at least 1-2 grand in mods. This is just my opinion and I haven't ridden 125's since 2004. I've been on 250f's and 450's since 04...

• Like 1

about 10 years ago I went from a kx500 to a RM250 in the desert for that reason...then found a CR125 that I liked and got it...even in the wide open stuff the 125 was "easier" to ride...now keep in mind that sometimes you need to wring its neck but for the most part I rode mid range...I like that they are alot lighter and the weight is way lower that a 250f...my bro rode mine and got one and then my dad too...my bro took about 5 years off after a broken hip and is back on a 250f and dont like the weight how it is up higher than a 125...if you ride tight stuff or just feel like a 250 is too much...then do it...we are both around 200 and still no problems...heck I just bought a 80 expert for the woods and love it...

the 125 is a fun bike to race, it just needs to be ridden right to go anywhere and even competing against 250f's a 125 will still have a hard time in most cases.. I suggest riding one and see for yourself, the 250 might be to much bike for you and you will find that you can ride faster and actually learn on a 125..

i was in your situation when i decided to start riding tracks and get out of the woods. i thought my rm 250 was a hand full on the track(less then 1 yr exp on track, 8+ years in woods) i could fly on the 250 in the woods but once jumsp were thrown in it was a different story. i sold the 02 250 and bought an 07 rm 144 and loved it. i am now(6 months later) looking for another 250 because i can put down alot better lap times on my friends cr 250 then i can on my 144. another thing to consider is the 250 2st will still race against 250's which will give you a leg up.

I'd like to hear some opinions on trading my 2002 Honda CR250 for a 2005 Honda CR125. I'm looking to do some local racing for fun this year and am not sure if the 250 would be best. I'm 5' 9" and 150lbs and have been riding about 7years. Both bikes are in great condition, but I've found that the 250 gets to be quite a handful sometimes. :ride: I've never ridden a 125 2stroke before (85's, 230, 250-2&4) and will doing 90% track riding this year. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

We're about the same, 155-lb rider here.

If you're downsizing, better consider an '05 and up YZ125 (better yet an '06 and up), '07 and up RM125, or an '08 and up 125SX.

Just my 2c.

I recently got me an '08 YZ125, and i have an '08 YZ250.

I'll try gearing it higher and go from there, thanks for the input

That is probably the best option. I am an advocate of 125's and I think you would have more fun and get on better racing a 125. But, you already own a 250 so you may as well find out. It would be a waste to sell it and find that you don't get on with the the 125. You can always then go and trade it in if you don't get on with it.

I'm going to wait until the spring when I can get some more track time before I make any decisions, thanks for all the help everyone

i forgot to mention, if you do go 125 stay away from the hondas. if your stepping down from a 250 to a 125 you really dont want to be on the slowest 125 of the pack. I've heard that across all the model years from numerous B and A class riders that the honda's seem to be a slouch of a motor compared to others. they handle well but the power is lacking compared to others. i would look for an 06 up yz 125, or rm 06 and up and the ktm 144 or ktm 150. beware the early ktm 144s had a problem with shredding first gear.

I would keep an eye on craigslist, it is a good time to buy a bike. The 125's in my area go pretty cheap.

I started riding tracks on a 250 2t. I dropped down to a 125 and made leaps and bounds in improvement. It is miserable to ride a 2t unless you can ride it in the meat of the powerband. I got good enough to jump back up to a 250 2t and didn't feel overwelmed by the powerband.

Don't get stuck on having to buy the best out there. Buy what you can afford in a 125, it will make you a better rider, but keep the 250.

i'd keep the 250 and put a heavy flywheel on it. unless, you can get a real good yami 125.

but the cr125 .. nah, i wouldnt go for it.

i forgot to mention, if you do go 125 stay away from the hondas. if your stepping down from a 250 to a 125 you really dont want to be on the slowest 125 of the pack. I've heard that across all the model years from numerous B and A class riders that the honda's seem to be a slouch of a motor compared to others. they handle well but the power is lacking compared to others. i would look for an 06 up yz 125, or rm 06 and up and the ktm 144 or ktm 150. beware the early ktm 144s had a problem with shredding first gear.

in stock form the honda is a slouch, but reliable at the same time.. with a few mods these bikes can be made fast..

i like my 05 yz125, i wish it had the 06+ forks on it but all in all its a fast bike and very reliable