Nice story about Alpinestars customer support

I bought a pair of Tech 8's in the early 2000's. I only rode with them three or four times, then tore an ACL. Other factors in my life got me out of motorcycling, and I only recently got back in after buying a used YZ426 a few months ago.

So, I broke out my riding gear and went riding over the Christmas break for the first time in about 10 years. My boots started coming apart at the seams, even though they still looked almost new. I know they are out of warranty, but they really started coming apart with probably fewer than 10 rides total on them.

I called Alpinestars and sent them in under an RMA number. They called me back a few days later, and said that they were not repairable and not under warranty anymore. (one year only) But, they did say that they would sell me a new pair for $300. (including tax and shipping)

At first I was disappointed, as a $400+ dollar pair of boots shouldn't be coming apart, even though they were 10 years old. They were in my gear bag, and not outside in the elements. I have never had a pair of shoes or a jacket do this, but I understand the warranty process.

Based on current costs plus the cost of shipping and tax, their price to me was probably about 40% off. Even the cheapest eBay add I found would end up costing me around $400 to my door. I thought it was a decent gesture, and went ahead and purchased them from Alpinestars.

I just got the new boots yesterday, and they are purdy!

Thought I'd share.

that's nice that they sold you discontinued boots cheap, I would have told them to get bent personally, those tech 8's are down to 329 $ with free shipping

You could have bought them cheaper elsewhere....just saying.

It's awesome when a company offers something like this when they could have just told you to F off.

It keeps the customer happy, and it puts money in their till so to speak.

We used to do this all the time where I work, people would be bringing crap back way after the return policy and we'd just give them store credit so they'd buy something else, or upsell them on something else that's better. Barely any complaints.

Usually the ones who would still bitch and moan and make a big deal when these alternatives were not good enough, were the ones trying to pull a fast one (they steal it, then come back and try and return it for cash).

Everything from Alpinestars is over rated. I have a 20 year old set of Gaerne boots that are still in great shape and the rubber/plastic is still as pliable as the day I bought them.

you got hosed. They got you with a sand paper condom with no lube. I bet the thumper talk store could have gotten you a set for cheaper. If they were falling apart after sitting in a bag that should have told you something. I would send them back demand a refund and buy a set of Garne or Sidi. Go ahead and plan on getting another set of boots in 6 months because those tech8 boots will fall apart and be needing new soles SOON. Alpinestars= OVERPRICED garbage.

Here are a VASTLY superior set of Garne SG10s for $300

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gaerne-SG-10-SG10-MX-Boots-White-Carbon-Size-9-Ltd-Ed_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53ddc5e18bQQitemZ360203018635QQptZApparelQ5fMerchandise

Everything from Alpinestars is over rated. I have a 20 year old set of Gaerne boots that are still in great shape and the rubber/plastic is still as pliable as the day I bought them.

That was my concern as well, and I wasn't too happy about it. But, I don't think I could have bought a boot with similar protection from another brand as the Tech 8's for $300 OTD so I pulled the trigger. :ride:

I'll likely wear these out before I see any issues with the rubber/plastic, but if I do, they will be my last pair of Alpinestars.

I'd like to know where you can get tech eights cheaper than 300 :ride:

I'd like to know where you can get tech eights cheaper than 300 :ride:

they are ALL over ebay for $259. A simple search for Alpinestars Tech8 revealed 356 different auctions.

they are ALL over ebay for $259. A simple search for Alpinestars Tech8 revealed 356 different auctions.

I found lots of auctions with them starting at these prices, but never saw any completed auctions with them selling that cheaply.

All of the buy now auctions were still $375+, but maybe I missed some???

Wow, yall just let all of the air out of this guys balloon.

sounds like u got a killer deal man.. cost on the tech 8s are around 350.. and whoever said the boot was discontinued...

They are not.. they updated the design in 2010.. they added some features off the tech 10 in the new model..

$300 is a good deal. You might find some on ebay that don't get bid up that high but I don't see any new ones for less than $300 shipped.

search completed and you will see some that sold under 300. If you also look those for the buy it now are still for sale!!! You got screwed I think never would I buy a product that fell apart again. I have a pair of old AXO turbos the cheapest you could buy 20 years ago that could still be worn all I had to do was have the sole reglued and stitch.Another pair of 15 year old fox boots again about the cheapest ones at the time still in decent shape , and my latest pair THOR quadrants that are 3 years old not the best but could buy a new pair every year since I bought them and still come out cheaper.

Wow, yall just let all of the air out of this guys balloon.

That's OK, I have thick skin. There are always going to be people that bring out the negative. I looked at all of the boots that I considered buying, and didn't want to skimp on protection for something as important as my ankles and feet. One might get lucky and win an auction for $300, but I hope that they don't want to go riding any time soon and are content to hold out for months waiting to win that one special auction. I'd rather go riding.

If they hadn't done something though, I would not bought Alpinestars again, even though they were almost 10 years old. They are just too expensive to fall apart like that.

I'll post some pics up when I get home.

That's OK, I have thick skin. There are always going to be people that bring out the negative. I looked at all of the boots that I considered buying, and didn't want to skimp on protection for something as important as my ankles and feet. One might get lucky and win an auction for $300, but I hope that they don't want to go riding any time soon and are content to hold out for months waiting to win that one special auction. I'd rather go riding.

If they hadn't done something though, I would not bought Alpinestars again, even though they were almost 10 years old. They are just too expensive to fall apart like that.

I'll post some pics up when I get home.

hey man I am not trying to be negative just REALISTIC. Shame on A* for taking it to you like that. I hope yours hold up better than mine did. I am still bitter about those tech 8s that fell apart after 6 months.

I have had my Tech-8's since '03 and they have held up great. Time to ride.:ride:

my 4 yr old tech 8's have 11,000 offroad miles on them and 90% of it singletrack and still are in really good shape. they get drenched every week from november through april here in the pacific northwest too. they have been awesome.

Joe

Well heres my story, I got a set of tech 4's in about 1988 rode the crap out of em. then they sat for about 10 years put em on and away I went riding again. leather was pretty stiff, lasted about a year. Spent the money and got a set of tech 10's. most comfortable thing ever. All my family has alpinestars of some version (thats 4 sets) and no problems with any of them. You got a good deal!!!

Good for you man. You've gotta realize that by making posting this topic you made an open forum for Alpinestars haters to come and voice their opinion on the company rather than your situation.

I think you ended up with a pretty good deal.

But more importantly, instead of going and buying boots somewhere else to save a buck or two, you helped support a company that you felt treated you fairly.

There is such thing as loyalty.