@ Home fitness for new rider

Hi,

I am just about to start riding again for the 1st time in 17 years and was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for a fitness regime to start at home & on mountain bike to get in shape (arms & legs)

1) Ease up on the beer

2) Tommy's* is out, so is Der Wienerschnitzel

But seriously, just do the stuff you used to do in the high school gym:

Calisthenics, weights, running (or treadmill) for endurance. I have a treadmill for the winter and a Total Gym with accessories (which isn't a lot of weight compared to a station machine, but momma likes that it can be put away...). For arm pump, tie a rope to a 5-10 lb weight, and wrap the rope around a dumbbell bar. Roll the weight up and down, change your grip to work different arm muscles, and hold the bar out to the side, high, low, etc. to work different shoulder, lat, and back muscles. It's amazing how much that one thing will do.

I have a mountain bike, but I didn't find that riding it crossed-over onto the dirt bike much; well, maybe pedaling for cardio and some leg strength.

Oh, and eat bananas and stand on the bike when you're riding it. Seat time doesn't mean sit on the seat... :lol:

Hope this helps and glad to see a rider back on a bike! :ride:

*not sure you have Tommy's in the U.K., but you should... Think serious chili-cheeseburgers with chili-cheese (and onions) chips (fries to us Yanks), a huge coke, and those hot yellow peppers (they give those out free). You can even get a Tamale smothered in chili, and they'll sell you chili by the "boat" (the thick paper plate thingy they serve the food in) if you just want to dive into a chililicious scarf-fest. Great for the soul, terrible for the arteries! Oh, and you get reminded later of how good it was... :bonk:

you can get some handy stuff at the hardware store, like cinder blocks, a bag of cement(wrap it in duct tape), rope, a sledgehammer(which after you work with it awhile can be used as a fierce home defense thing). THe TRX people will hate me for this, but you can "get by" with two long webbed dog leashes(go check out TRX system, it uses body weight).

If you can find a 5-6 foot long piece of scrap PVC pipe (like 3" diameter or so, the bigger the harder), you can fill it mostly with water, then cap the ends(well, cap one end, then fill with water, then cap the other). This will make a killer squat or shoulder press weight because the water will slosh and you will have to work harder to keep your balance.

Bodyweight exercises are great, remember Sarah Connor in T2 doing chinups on her upended bed in her padded cell? (which was on last night...)

Or find some heavy rocks and carry them around. Picking up and carry a 70 pound rock over uneven terrain will kick your butt fast(I moved rocks last year for the garden, yes I weighed one, and you'd be surprised how small a 70# rock is.

PS, you're in the United Kingdom, go toss logs like those Scottish guys do, that will whip you into shape real quick! that is awesome for allover strength

We have a group that are training together for our season which starts in 2 months this is the weekly schedule that we have been doing its all body weight exercises and doesn't require any gym membership, take a look and check it out..

http://www.racerxvt.com

they have some awesome info there and you can ask them questions about your schedule here's mine

http://www.racerxvt.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=483

Give it a try and let us know how you go, I have lost 10kg in 6 weeks and put on heaps of muscle as well have never felt better on the bike can now ride 20 min at race pace, if you have questions ask i will help you out were i can Enjoy and stay motivated :ride:

P90X!

I travel quite a bit for business, and yes, I was up late one night and was caught by the info-mercial. And yes, I ordered the program. And YES it really is as simple a workout as you can get with just a few pieces of equipment.

The cardio workouts are great (there are 3 of them). The fitness workouts provide total body fitness from head to toe (balance, flexibility, strength, endurance, tone). So, if you are not trying bulk up and instead are trying to obtain lean, strong muscle and cardio fitness, then I recommend P90X!

http://www.p90x.com

No, I don't work for the company :ride:

P90X!

I travel quite a bit for business, and yes, I was up late one night and was caught by the info-mercial. And yes, I ordered the program. And YES it really is as simple a workout as you can get with just a few pieces of equipment.

The cardio workouts are great (there are 3 of them). The fitness workouts provide total body fitness from head to toe (balance, flexibility, strength, endurance, tone). So, if you are not trying bulk up and instead are trying to obtain lean, strong muscle and cardio fitness, then I recommend P90X!

http://www.p90x.com

No, I don't work for the company :ride:

+1

Awesome program.

Thanks for the advice it gives me something to think about for starters and i shall let you know the progress i make

For things at home....

If you can get a set of the Perfect Pushup do it. You can get them relatively cheap off eBay. They work REALLY well.

Pushups are great for you. They work many muscle groups.

Do bodyweight Squats.

Pull ups.

And get a skipping rope.

These are the cheapest and best things I can suggest for you.

For things at home....

If you can get a set of the Perfect Pushup do it. You can get them relatively cheap off eBay. They work REALLY well.

Pushups are great for you. They work many muscle groups.

Do bodyweight Squats.

Pull ups.

And get a skipping rope.

These are the cheapest and best things I can suggest for you.

They make a normal push up much more difficult. They're very nice! I got a set from Walmart for around $20.

To the OP: if you decide to get p90x look on Ebay. I got mine for half price. Just make sure all the guides and disks are included.

For those of us with wrist injuries they work very well.

Pushups in any form (wide regular triangle whatever) all hurt my wrist really badly. Now, I can rock out just fine with these.

for riding i choose to really focus on core strength. side taps are a great exercise. goin for a mild run (1-2 miles) builds you endurance. personally i race in the california bmx racing series, and wat i do to train for that has done nothing but good for my dirtbike riding. mild weight training, core exercises, running regularly, and pushups work wonders. alot of people dont use them because the dont know about them, but a great tool for exercise is some tool my dad gave me. its basicly a compressed coil spring with bar grips on each end, and you bend the spring till the two wnds touch. this has made a huge difference in death grip, grip strength, and upper body strength for bike control and direction changes:ride::ride: and never forget pushups

My ortho doc tells me not to run as it is not good for the knees. Instead, use a bicycle or stationary bike which I like best. Look for one that has the handles that are intregrated with the pedals which allows your arms to get a little action.

Core training. There is lots of info on the web about fitness programs that you can do at home with a minimum of equipment. Do a search and you'll get plenty of hits. Here's a link to start off with. http://www.topendsports.com/fitness/home.htm