wiring connection help for ACE 3100 Speedometer hook up to a Baja Kit Xr 650 R bike

Hello there

I want to connect an Ace 3100 speedometer to my XR 650 R equipped with a Baja design lightning kit

There is 3 wires to connect according to the tech at Ace

A black ground wire that needs to be connected to the ground (which wire from the Baja kit will be an option?)

A brown wire that would need to go to the battery (should I use an available non use wire from the Bajakit or plug it directly to the battery wire and if so what color is the appropriate wire coming to the battery pack that needs to be connected to the brown wire ?)

Finally a red wire that will need to be connected to a wire from the bike that has power why the bike is running but does not have power when the bike is not running

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

P

P, it would help if you could figure out which BD dual sport kit you have - do you have a dual winding stator? do you have a battery (if you turn the bike on, do the headlight and taillight light up? or just the taillight?)

but here is what i can offer for advice:

GREEN is ground in the honda harness. or you can put a ring terminal on the ACE BLACK wire and find a bolt on the frame that you can put the ring terminal under to connect to the chassis. remember to make sure the ring terminal is touching bare metal, not paint. there is also a ground in the headlight plug - on my XR600R w/ a BD kit it is BLACK. you could splice into that wire.

for a battery constant (i hope you have a battery!) i would find the RED wire coming out of the BD voltage regulator/rectifier and connect a new fuse to it for your ACE. the mfg of the ACE should have a recommended fuse size to use. (the regulator/rectifier is a square aluminum block maybe 50mm square and has 4 wires coming out - BLACK, RED, YELLOW, & YELLOW. and sometimes another YELLOW)

for the switched power wire, i would find the taillite wires, or the brakelite switch wires and test them to find the +12V switched wire. note that wire color and follow it back to where it plugs into the harness (under the seat is likely). i would add a fuse here also and follow the mfr's recommendation for fuse size.

or you could just contact BajaDesigns tech support via e-mail. they are very helpful, plus their website has much info that would help you.

like this:

http://www.bajadesigns.com/2005%20Web%20Site/PDF%20Files/Stator%20Instructions/XR650R%20with%20Classic%20Dual%20Sport%20Kit.pdf

neil in san marcos

The kit is a baja design manufactured after 2006 as it has a red horn button

There is a small batterie attached to the back black plate behind the headlight

Your explanation is very helpfull

The problem is there is not much wire lenght to tap into behind the headlight plate

I still am not sure where to tap for the switched power wire

any help will be appreciated

The blue wire coming from harness behind the headlight is power and you can use the black wire as ground. Is your ACE computer backed up by batteries?

Hello there

I want to connect an Ace 3100 speedometer to my XR 650 R equipped with a Baja design lightning kit

There is 3 wires to connect according to the tech at Ace

A black ground wire that needs to be connected to the ground (which wire from the Baja kit will be an option?)

A brown wire that would need to go to the battery (should I use an available non use wire from the Bajakit or plug it directly to the battery wire and if so what color is the appropriate wire coming to the battery pack that needs to be connected to the brown wire ?)

Finally a red wire that will need to be connected to a wire from the bike that has power why the bike is running but does not have power when the bike is not running

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

P

this is a pic. of my BD DS kit... the red and black are from the battery.. R+ Blk-.. on my kit it has a small running light that comes on when the switch is turned on.GRN+ BRN-. .. from what I get from your post..your blk 2 brn / your brn to rd / and your red 2 grn.. Vaporpowerwire-GPSwires-Hornrelocat.jpg