Boots- What do you wear?

I'm getting ready to purchase some new gear for this spring, and one of the most difficult decisions I'm having to make is on boots. I tried on a bunch of MX boots at a local shop (Alpinestars, etc.), and all of them were so stiff and uncomfortable I couldn't imagine even having them on my feet for any length of time. I'm also partial to waterproof boots, which seriously limits the selection. I have my eye on this pair of SIDI "On-Road Gore-Tex".

http://www.motonation.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=7&idproduct=3191#details

I do have a few concerns, however. First, are these going to fall apart since I ride mostly on the dirt? Second, are they not going to provide much protection at all? Suggestions? What boots do you guys like? What ones don't you like?

I've never used anything but a hard compound boot, there really stiff new and take a dozen or more rides to feel right. Right now im useing the Fox Comp 5s and im very happy with them.

Those don't look likey they would provide much support or protection, the soft leather won't save you from hard impacts and the toes need to be alot tougher on a dirt boot. I have a pair or work boots i used for awhile until the sole ripped right off.

If your doing any sort of decent dirt riding, a very strong and rigid in right spots MX boot would be your best bet. With alot of toe protection!

Some piece of :lol: Fly Racing boots that were on sale. I've had them for 2 years, and I think in about another 2 years, they might finally be broken in.:ride:

i'm thinking about getting some thor quadrant boots. my issue is the pants, i'm 6'4 210lbs and i'm worried that the inseam isn't going to be long enough for a 34 waist with a 31.5 inseam. my jeans are all 34 inseam! (just ordered my first pair the other day. they'll be here tomorrow.) I would agree with teh upper posts though that a harder compound boot will offer more probection for the money. if you want waterproof boots, go get some Muck brand boots. they look about the same at a fraction of the cost! hehe by reading your post. you ride mostly off-road and that is where you'll need the most protection. i'm no boot expert, but i would go with the traditional mx boot. they're just like anything else we invest our money in, cars, bikes, women, ya just got to break them in right!

661 flight boots work well for me and were broken in after just one ride

AXO RC6 in camo $99 shiped to my door :ride:

AXO's are the only boot I have ever worn since taking up this sport back in 1990.

First pair were RC2's lots of riding and they lasted up to 2005, I still have them they just need a new sole and a buckle (I think I lost it around 1997). I bought a pair of RC5's and wore them up untill last year. They are still in great shape but my foot got fatter so I went up a size, now my son is wearing them.

YMMV Clipity

the boots in the link are more appropreate for sumone on a Goldwing rather than even dualsporting on a gravel road :lol:

luv my Sidi Flex-Force boots...felt great the first time i slipped them on :ride: u may be still be able to find them on Ebay(~$200) IF u have a small boot size...

...they have now been replaced by even the nicer Crossfires... :bonk: ...but they are pricey! ...BUT they are about the same as my medical insurance deductable *hint hint*

offroad i put gud boots as equally(if not more) important as a gud helmet :lol::thumbsup:

take ur time and find sum quality AND comfortable boots.

:D

Alpinestar Vectors, no longer made. Other than the stupid top strap clamp, great boots, very comfortable. When they finally wear out, probably will be replaced with Tech 7's.

the boots in the link are more appropreate for sumone on a Goldwing rather than even dualsporting on a gravel road :lol:

luv my Sidi Flex-Force boots...felt great the first time i slipped them on :ride: u may be still be able to find them on Ebay(~$200) IF u have a small boot size...

...they have now been replaced by even the nicer Crossfires... :bonk: ...but they are pricey! ...BUT they are about the same as my medical insurance deductable *hint hint*

offroad i put gud boots as equally(if not more) important as a gud helmet :lol::thumbsup:

take ur time and find sum quality AND comfortable boots.

:D

That's why I asked the question. They have built in ankle, toe, and shin protection, which is why I've considered them. Back when I was a kid, the MX boots were black leather, and didn't have anywhere near all the fancy plastic crap they do now. I'm not super big on all that flashy stuff either. I'm old school.

Look at the GX-1 boots, they are so comfortable and you can pickup a pair for a great price on Ebay

Riding the BRP I always wear my Alpinstar tech 6's. I've had them for years and love them for dual sport or off road riding. There's been too many times I've slammed my foot into something hard to even think about wearing less than MX boots.

My next off road boots will be Gaerne though as I've heard great reviews from friends.

Street riding I use my Sidi B2s. Love them, but they wouldn't hold up to the rocks, roots, and crap I hit off road.

Look at the GX-1 boots, they are so comfortable and you can pickup a pair for a great price on Ebay

I had a problem with the soles of my Alpinestars Tech10 boots after only 3 rides in them. While they were being repaired I picked up a pair of Gaerne GX-1 boots and now that is all I ride in. I absolutely love the GX-1s! No inner bootie is required with them, the buckle system is much nicer and easier to use than the one on my Tech10 boots, they are very light feeling, and they were also quite comfortable during the very first ride in them. For less than $200.00 I couldn't be any happier with a pair of riding boots. :ride:

I wear Fox Alta motocross boots that I have had since around '98. They were ~$120 and were the most comfortable sub-$150 boot I tried on. They are still comfortable and I think I could hike 10-20mi in them if I had to. Unfortunately they have been out of production for at least five years and the plastic buckles can't really be replaced anymore.

They look like this except mine are a black/white combo:

7875a7a1.jpg

Sidi Chargers.

I needed to replace my old pair of Sidi's due to durability testing (crash), and I was on a little bit of a budget, so I went with the Thor Quadrant boot. They are ok and will do the same job as my old Sidi's did (save my foot), but they are more bulky than the Sidi's. They feel fine on my feet, but are more awkward when shifting and breaking or when walking around. I know what you're saying.....if I'd learn to ride I wouldn't be off the bike and walking around. But I ride a lot of tight technical trails and you know when you do that kind of riding at some point you are off your bike and lifting or pulling it or something. I think I'll be saving some money and will spend some extra to get another pair of Sidi's.

alpinestar tech 8's, saved my mates toes from getting lopped off by an oncoming bikes footpeg, also they are prettymuch sound when it comes to water, sticks rocks etc

Like my Tech10s wont wear anything else comfy from day 1

That's why I asked the question. They have built in ankle, toe, and shin protection, which is why I've considered them. Back when I was a kid, the MX boots were black leather, and didn't have anywhere near all the fancy plastic crap they do now. I'm not super big on all that flashy stuff either. I'm old school.

i'm significantly older skool than u :bonk:

reading stories of foot and other injuries has me sold on quality protective gear...

...u pretty much "get wut u pay for" but there r sum gud budget boots and gear...look for quality construction, fit & comfort :ride:

i'm sold on Sidi's bootieless(less bulk) and hinged design...i won't ride w/o them and i know they have saved me from injury on at least two occasions...i expect these boots to last maybe five years.

:lol: