1982 yz250

Ill give him a crispy 100 bill for it, crap, that over doing it, just messin

Its worth a grand just because its a nice museum piece. However, if a person had to ride one, even putt, its not worth the owner giving you a grand and the bike.

The engine is great, but NOTHING else on the bike is. Heavy, flexy, awful suspension. Wait, the front brake is great.

For the young guys....Its hard to see in the pictures, but notice where the radiator is. Behind the number plate. This means the radiator fluid gets pumped through the steering head. I believe their are 52,674 seals holding it in. They leak.

Thats probably why a person rarely sees nice, used 82's around. I would love to have one, but only to look at. I bet real weight is over 250 lbs.

Yeah I was just impressed with how clean it was for an almost 30 year old original bike. I suspect it could be bought for less than the grand he is asking. I was considering it for vintage stuff until I found it had a power valve. The radiator where the headlight is interested me but I too imagined the complexity in the plumbing for the coolant system to make that work would be problematic.

Have you owned one before Roland?

Yeah I was just impressed with how clean it was for an almost 30 year old original bike. I suspect it could be bought for less than the grand he is asking. I was considering it for vintage stuff until I found it had a power valve. The radiator where the headlight is interested me but I too imagined the complexity in the plumbing for the coolant system to make that work would be problematic.

Have you owned one before Roland?

Yes, owned one in 83 and my brother still had his in 96. The engine was really good. The same basic design was still around in 98. Yes, most pieces had changed, but you coudl see they were related.

It was the original powervalve bike. That part of the engine worked fine and was durable. EVERYTHING else sucked. You woudl notice a huge difference in build quality compared to today.

The 83 and 84 would be a far better machine to vintage race. Before you ever bought one, do research and find out when the z-spoke appeared. They broke hubs all the time.

Actually, I would take a nice 86. these were good looking, great bikes.

Yes, owned one in 83 and my brother still had his in 96. The engine was really good. The same basic design was still around in 98. Yes, most pieces had changed, but you coudl see they were related.

It was the original powervalve bike. That part of the engine worked fine and was durable. EVERYTHING else sucked. You woudl notice a huge difference in build quality compared to today.

The 83 and 84 would be a far better machine to vintage race. Before you ever bought one, do research and find out when the z-spoke appeared. They broke hubs all the time.

Actually, I would take a nice 86. these were good looking, great bikes.

Problem is any bike with a powervalve would only be legal for Ultima 250. Most current vintage rules dictate air cooled non powervalve 2 strokes with drum brakes front and back and even some classes have to be twin shock. It was an idea given the condition of this one and the cheap cost but I passed due to the powervalve alone. Sounds like it was a good choice based on numerous other reasons.

How did they perform from a power standpoint to say a modern YZ250?

Problem is any bike with a powervalve would only be legal for Ultima 250. Most current vintage rules dictate air cooled non powervalve 2 strokes with drum brakes front and back and even some classes have to be twin shock. It was an idea given the condition of this one and the cheap cost but I passed due to the powervalve alone. Sounds like it was a good choice based on numerous other reasons.

How did they perform from a power standpoint to say a modern YZ250?

It was not as fast, obviously, but not bad. Probably more of an enduro or offroad type powerband than we get today. great low end, but average everything else. Great choice to pass over than one. A 79,80 or 81 would be far better. I'm guessing one that was sitting might be a nightmare due to the water cooling system" on this specific machine. You would not get out of there without serious work unless you bypassed the oem watercooled steering head.

Good to know. Thanks!