$2,568.68

Supercross

From PulpMX : http://www.pulpmx.com/content/256868

$2,568.68

By Steve - Posted on 28 January 2010

That's the amount that the purse for a supercross race has gone up per year since 1991. Take a look at these interesting stats.

A lot of things happened in 1991, there was the rise of grunge music, Guns N Roses released Use Your Illusion which would make one incredible, amazing disc or two average ones, the Pittsburgh Penguins won the Stanley Cup (hey wait, they won it just last year also), the Toronto Argonauts won the Grey Cup (what’s that? You don’t know what that is?), and the riders went into the AMA Supercross at Atlanta’s Fulton County Stadium with a chance to come away with some big money at that nights race.

Attached is the payout of that night’s race and also with the payout of last Saturday night’s race at Anaheim.

Let’s take a look at the numbers shall we?

450 class

1991-$35,000

2010-$76,385

A difference of $41,385 or you could say that the purse has increased 118% in nineteen years.

250 class

1991-$10,000

2010-$17,420

A difference of $7,420 or you could say that the purse has increased 74% in nineteen years.

Total increase, both classes in nineteen years = $48,805 divide that by 19 years and you get an average increase each year of $2568.68.

To be honest, I thought it would be worse. Looking at the increases, you can see that the winners have been rewarded more than the guys at the back which shouldn’t be a surprise. That’s kind of how life is really.

The 450 winner received $5000.00 in ’91 and $12,000.00 in 2010 for an increase of $7,000.00 over nineteen years. Or a 58% increase.

The 20th place guy in the 125 class received $150.00 in 1991 and $320.00 in 2010 for an increase of $170.00 over nineteen years. Or a 46% increase.

Thoughts and opinions on this?

This info will never save your life but it's very interesting nontheless. The winner at my local races gets 1/2 his entry fee refunded!

i cant believe how much more the purse is for the 450s its like 4 times more.

wow they get more than I thought. thats good. I thought all my money was going to the big wigs.... now I know only most of it does. lol.

Dumb question but I've always wondered how much of their winnings go to their teams

Dumb question but I've always wondered how much of their winnings go to their teams

Not dumb at all......I don't know but I would guess it would depend on what each contract says. I do know that the mech gets a portion of winnings.

i dont believe any of their winnings go to the team.....they make much more in bonuses from the team for winning than the ama $$$$.

They make alot more money in contigency dollars.

Look at Yamaha's contigency #'s. Winning a SX main get you PAID!

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/racing/2010_YZWR_Contingency.aspx

$15,000.00 for 1st

$10,000 for 2nd

$7,500 for 3rd

Plus some riders have it in their contract that XX amount of dollars get paid for winning or placing. Mitch Payton has said he prefers the bonus' to salaries because the rider will "work" for it.

Just guessing, but the bonus they get from their team has probably gone from $10,000 in 1991 to $100,000 for a supercross win 2010.

I don't know if supercross is the same, but I pretty sure in superbike the rider keeps all the winnings. For every race win, the rider and the manufacturer (factory teams) give bonuses to their mechanics and crew chiefs.

So, about $1.50 - $2.00 of the each ticket price goes to the riders. $h!t, Ticket Master makes out a lot better than the riders.... Sad.

So, about $1.50 - $2.00 of the each ticket price goes to the riders. $h!t, Ticket Master makes out a lot better than the riders.... Sad.

Don't forget that part of the money is going to feld, the AMA, insurance, and the stadium as well. :ride:

Don't forget the Series has more money coming in than just ticket prices. Title sponsors, merchandice sales and TV revenue to name a few. Many riders could not survive without the OEM contigency money and the series couldn't fill the night show.

I am glad it has improved, but I repeat, SAD.

I always thought that there was holeshot money too, maybe that is a team incentive??? I think it is odd that you get LCQ money, that's paying the looser's bracket, but good for the riders, most of them in the LCQ need that money badly.

MAX!!!

Is this number an ACTUAL increase in money? Or is it just what it was back in the day. I know back in 60's you could buy a muscle car for ~3000, which was a decent amount of money back then, which would be around 20k in today's terms.

So, Dungey has made about $150,000 in purse money for the two races he's won so far?

So, Dungey has made about $150,000 in purse money for the two races he's won so far?

No....he made $24K in purse money.