Gas in the oil, 2010 CRF450.....

Sorry guys....but I must post this about the 2010 CRF450.

Smelled gas in the oil when I did my last oilchange on my -10 CRF450 with 9 hours on it.

Great work Honda ! :ride: 1 year of trying to fix this problem wasn´t long enough !

Also heard that the problem appears on the 2010 CRF250 !

Jiiihaaa ! :lol:

This is driving me NUTS!

Can we get someone from Honda to weigh in???????

I bought the 250F but I have not ridden it yet. But if I get gas in the oil that son of a @&*!$ will be gone that day.

That sucks.

My -10 CRF450 had a severely raised oil level after 2 rides and the oil was pitch black.

Could that be gas in the oil also??

Normally i do 3-4 rides before oil change and oil (Mobil 1 racing 4T fully synth.)is brown.

It's not gonna be uncommon on these machines to have a slight smell of gas in the oil but if your oil level has significantly raised then you definitely need to check it out.

If it's any consolation the new YZ's are having some issues too.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=866557

I have the 2010 CRF250 and am holding my breath, literally, each and every oil change. Haven't had any problems yet. I'm making sure I do everything possible to insure my fuel is filtered. Still searching for a real explainable cause of this apparent fuel injector problem.

What I thought it was due to blipping the throttle in neutral or with no load on the motor......That's what Honda says so it must be true! RIGHT!!!!!

My 09's been doing it since it was new, 50 hours now and finally replaced the fuel injector. Mine was running real fat and ratty when I started it after sitting between motos. No fuel pressure when I took it apart which is a pretty good sign the injector was leaking.

It was getting too expensive changing oil every 2 to 3 hours and I'm starting to wonder what else is gonna let go like rod bearings because of thinning oil.

Sucks having to clean the overflow out of your No Toil air filter too. Have to clean it with the no toil cleaner first then spray regular filter cleaner to get the other stuff out.

I guess I will find out this weekend whether it fixed the problem if it doesn't then either I have bad luck and got another bad injector or there is a design problem with the PGMFI system.

I'm curious about this. Which side of the cases is gas getting into and how? Would someone please explain?

It's not gonna be uncommon on these machines to have a slight smell of gas in the oil but if your oil level has significantly raised then you definitely need to check it out.

My oil level wasn´t significantly raised, but could smell gas and that the oil seemed to be a little thinner.

We have "raced" our 2010 CRF250R now for approximately 5 months now. I have yet to smell gas in the oil or notice any thinning. However, I only turn the wrenches for my son. But I learned, after 40 years of racing gokarts, on a Grand National level, oil is cheap compared to rebuilds so I probably change oil way more than the normal person, which is after every race day. Until a ran across a "deal" that I couldnt refuse, we ran the stock Honda racing oil. I found a deal on 50 liters of Panolin as their MX Oil will no longer be carried in the states so at about a little over $4 a quart, I find oil changes cheap compared to a $800 - $2500 engine rebuild. Is this a bit of over kill? Probably, but internally, the inside of the motor looks as new as the day we bought it. Sorry, may be getting a bit side tracked here but still, we have NOT noticed any gas smell from our oil or thinning of the oil or oil level increasing but this article sure got my attention and I will monitor this closely because to many instances ARE being noticed, and as the old saying goes, "usually where there is smoke, their is fire". All of our riding is hard mx racing btw, as we dont do any pleasure riding on the 2010. For that, we use the 08 practice bike or the old reliable 06 Supermini ... good luck all.

Let us know if the new injector fixes the problem, my YZ has the same problem, I wonder if the Yamahas and Hondas have the same injectors?

Just a guess: one or more of the piston rings have rotated on the piston, now lining up with the the upper ring. a manual blow-by (leak-down) check can confirm this. it's possible the factory rings are too small for the piston ring groove allowing the rotation. Design enignneers are not perfect they deisgned the Pinto and Edsel

Edited by natosuperman
added leak down
We have "raced" our 2010 CRF250R now for approximately 5 months now. I have yet to smell gas in the oil or notice any thinning. However, I only turn the wrenches for my son. But I learned, after 40 years of racing gokarts, on a Grand National level, oil is cheap compared to rebuilds so I probably change oil way more than the normal person, which is after every race day. Until a ran across a "deal" that I couldnt refuse, we ran the stock Honda racing oil. I found a deal on 50 liters of Panolin as their MX Oil will no longer be carried in the states so at about a little over $4 a quart, I find oil changes cheap compared to a $800 - $2500 engine rebuild. Is this a bit of over kill? Probably, but internally, the inside of the motor looks as new as the day we bought it. Sorry, may be getting a bit side tracked here but still, we have NOT noticed any gas smell from our oil or thinning of the oil or oil level increasing but this article sure got my attention and I will monitor this closely because to many instances ARE being noticed, and as the old saying goes, "usually where there is smoke, their is fire". All of our riding is hard mx racing btw, as we dont do any pleasure riding on the 2010. For that, we use the 08 practice bike or the old reliable 06 Supermini ... good luck all.

Same here. I have had my 09 for about a year now and have not had any gas in the oil whatsoever. Like you though, I change my oil pretty often so that may have something to do with it. Still though, these bikes shouldn't be getting much gas in the oil anyways. I keep an eye out for it, but so far so good.

I've got around 180 hours on my 09 and never noticed anything until yesterday—I drained the oil from both sides of the cases and the motor oil smelled a bit gassy. I don't know—know I'm concerned. I change my oil very often also.

I've got around 180 hours on my 09 and never noticed anything until yesterday—I drained the oil from both sides of the cases and the motor oil smelled a bit gassy. I don't know—know I'm concerned. I change my oil very often also.

Just keep an eye on it... A leaky injector at 180 hours though is somewhat understandable if that's the case. At least moreso than these bikes that are having the issue with less than 20 hours on them. Replacing an injector at 180 hours isn't too bad. Hopefully it won't come to that though.

I agree with this 100%.

Used oil will ALWAYS smell like fuel, at least a little. This is due to blowby, a natural and unavoidable part of the combustion process. And, when you're draining oil, it will ALWAYS seem to be a little thinner, due to oil breakdown and the fact that you drain the oil with the motor warm(or should).

Blowby will be increased if you don't allow rings to seat by using oil without ANY synthetic components in the first 5 hours of use(break-in).

This process is very important to ring seal. It should also be followed whenever a new piston is installed.

Ideally, this should be at no more than 40 hours of use. By this time, due to the short skirts on these ultra- high perfomance pistons, piston rock in the bore becomes enough to cock the ring slightly in the cylinder, compromising ring seal. That is why Honda recommends changing the piston this often, even though the bike will continue to run and seem to make good power.

Have faith,The sky is not falling!

I agree with this 100%.

I agree, especially if the bike is being ridden in very cold weather.

I have 09 that I purchased in April. My has always had the smell of gas in the oil and in some instance the oil level has increased by as much as 25%. I changed the injector earlier on and it did not correct the problem. While I would expect a small amount of gas in the oil, there is a significant difference in my 09 vs. the other four CRF’s I have owned. It is very frustrating.