Sign in to follow this  

sounds reasonable... but who knows?

I get to pick up my bike earlier than expected. either next friday or the following monday!! so excited. I've been talking to the PO and getting all of the details so that I can go ahead and get some spare parts and fluids ready. He's using Yamalube 2R at 32:1 mixed with 3 gallons of Premium pump to 2 gallons of 110 race gas. which is exactly what I always ran in my 2strokes.. Now here's the question:

I asked him about what kind of piston they ran. He replied "we've tested literally everything out there and what we found best for maximum performance and reliability was a stock piston with a Wiseco ring. whats so special about the Wiseco ring? I was going to put a wiseco forged piston in and he acted like I was trying to blow it up.. I trust the guy though. I mean his son has won Loretta's on the bike so there has to be some truth to it. just curious as to what the big deal with the wiseco ring is. thanks :ride:

The weisco ring is actully made in china, and the oem piston is apparentl made in japan. Weired

How could you blow it up with a Wiseco? It's a forged piston.

The OEM ones are the ones that can break the skirt off.

thats what I thought too. I mean I dont want to say that either is a bad piston.. just the forged pistons seem to be a little stronger, if you will.

The weisco ring is actully made in china, and the oem piston is apparentl made in japan. Weired

hmm. interesting. Is the Wiseco ring made out of the same metal as the stock ring? what piston company makes the stock unit?

I seriously doubt there would be any noticeable difference between the stock and Wiseco ring. As far as the piston. Different pistons do make the bike run a bit differently. That's more of a personal choice on which one feels best.

You sure about this? I had a set of Wiseco rings for a 50 that were labeled "Made in Japan".

You sure about this? I had a set of Wiseco rings for a 50 that were labeled "Made in Japan".

How long ago was this? On there site they say there pistons are made here but the rings are not, email them.

Got those about a year ago. According to the bag they were manufactured March 27th, 2008.

I got missed led but i got this from weisco: All of our rings are made by an OEM manufacture in Japan. Very high

quality stuff. Our piston pins are made in Taiwan to specs outlined by

our engineers. The remaining part is 100% forged and machined in the

USA.

Thank you,

Wiseco Piston

I've been told not to use an OEM ring on wiseco piston from wiseco guy and local mechanic. Though I have no idea the differences between OEM and wiseco ring

A former w****o person told us many of the rings were identical, but some were not. He therefore did not recommend mixing and matching oem and their rings.

I believe their site says not to use OEM rings on Wiseco pistons, or vise-versa. Some can be mixed, I recall seeing literature about this is some parts catalogs. I'm 99% sure I used Wiseco rings on OEM pistons in my dad's Artic Cat (Suzuki engine).

I would just stay with OEM stuff. I've got both a 2001 YZ125 and a 2003 YZ250 and they both have low hours and the original top ends on them. Also years ago I raced a whole season on a KDX 200 (about 15 two hour plus hare scramble races and about the same amount of practice riding time ). Over the winter I pulled the top end off to check it out, Had plenty of life left in it but just replaced it to be safe. The guy I sold the bike to still rides it to this day ( 10 years later) on the OEM stuff I put back in it and says it runs perfect. OEM stuff is pretty good !:ride:

Larry

I believe their site says not to use OEM rings on Wiseco pistons, or vise-versa. Some can be mixed, I recall seeing literature about this is some parts catalogs. I'm 99% sure I used Wiseco rings on OEM pistons in my dad's Artic Cat (Suzuki engine).

They do say in all their catalogs not to mix. I am thinking it is just to cover themselves and to keep people from mixing and matching. They have no control over the quality of the pistons people could use, and could get blamed for a problem they didn't cause.

Most of the time they probably mix with no problem though.