Sign in to follow this  

I need a new chest/spine/shoulder protector....

I've been using this SixSixOne chest rig for a few years now....totally love it for the lightweight yet stout protection it provides....BUT it just kills my neck and almost prevents you from standing up and riding uphill. The spine pads ride up too high on your neck and bunch up against the rear of your helmet. Basically makes you have to force your head to look upwards. On long rides this is horribly fatiguing and happens even with a backpack full of water weighing it down. Definitely a design problem...

Here are a few crappy phone pics of the model I'm talking about:

p221863087-4.jpg

p396254786-4.jpg

I'd like to get something new for this season, just not sure if there's a product out there I might be missing. I really want spine and shoulder protection....chest/roost isn't a big deal but would be nice to have. I'm no opposed to a suit that had attached elbow guards and I usually like to wear my prot gear underneath...

Looks like 661 has redesigned some of their spine guard designs....any idea if they are a little less obtrusive now?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

I have the new 661 design. I havent ridden with it yet but I cant see it bunching up onto your neck, the back plate doesnt start until a good 5 inches below my neck.

I have the new 661 design. I havent ridden with it yet but I cant see it bunching up onto your neck, the back plate doesnt start until a good 5 inches below my neck.

You have a link or the model name? Looks like they have a few new ones out.

i have this one.

http://sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Moto.aspx?id=1ef2829e-d18e-4f1a-8079-0a5b2b1d8bb9&product=f397dd4a-6c47-4029-90f2-9d741818906e

the top the spine plates remove if you want.

i like it for what it is. i only use it in the winter, during the summer months i prefer a hard external chest protector for ventilation.

Here is what I have. Best protection and value for the money:

http://highvelocitygear.com/juggernaut.htm

That gear looks nice, but the juggernaut has a high back spine piece (from their website pictures) that could easily cause the same problems I'm having now....the Velorta model has a less of a profile on the spine which might work out well. Price isn't bad either!

I use the Thor Impact Rig SE , i even wore it with a Dr/Medical type neck brace *i was not supposed to be riding while my broken neck was healing , but i figured if i could get my helmet on with my neck brace then i should be safe enough to ride , after all , i was wearing safety gear , so i should be safe ! , that was 3 months after surgery**yea i know dumb move** but i crashed in 4th gear on the track and walked away ...i found its hard to look ahead with a Dr/Medical neck brace on , made it hard to go thru corners at any speed* hence why i crashed**...but yes the Impact Rig works fine with ANY neck brace !!

Here is what I have. Best protection and value for the money:

http://highvelocitygear.com/juggernaut.htm

That gear looks nice, but the juggernaut has a high back spine piece (from their website pictures) that could easily cause the same problems I'm having now....the Velorta model has a less of a profile on the spine which might work out well. Price isn't bad either!

I've worn my velocity gear for over 2yrs...couple times a week...no issues. IMHO, best gear available of this type.

I've been using this SixSixOne chest rig for a few years now...

I have one of those... rode in it for about 5 minutes, then back to the truck to get rid of it. Worthless IMO.

Hard chest protector (I have an old Fox one), or a moto jacket (fieldsheer adventure) depending on the riding i'm doing. Have a Tekvest for sledding that might see a bit more action on dualsport rides this summer.

Tekvest is sized such that you can fit a Leatt/etc with it comfortably.

Here's a pic of the Juggernaut for some context...Can't imagine it coming anywhere near the helmet.

Photo13.jpg

Front for reference: Photo11.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. It sits alot lower than I thought it would....definitely won't get in the way

Thanks for the heads up on the Juggernaut. It is obviously the old Dainese Safety Jacket from years back but that was the nicest unit I have ever seen anyway. I have an old one laying around still but I was bigger then and it no longer fits me and I didn't want to purchase another one for $400. As it appears they are now selling the design as the Juggernaut for half the price I'm going to have to pick one of these up.