Sign in to follow this  

Sprockets and chain recommendation

2005 450X, currently running the stock sizes and chain. While the teeth look ok, the chain is shot so figure I'll just replace all of it at once.

I'm not sure sure of the stock sizes but I'd like to add a little bit of low end....loosing top speed is fine. I'm pretty much just a trail and woods rider. Suggestions on a sprocket/teeth front and rear combo with an O-ring chain size? I'm not brand sensitive at all.

Thanks!

All I know is that I run steel spockets. They last a long time and I don't care about saving a few ounces. I changed the rear to a 50 tooth straight off my CRF230. After jetting it correctly, I pulls this gearing really well. Before jetting it, it seemed too tall. What a difference jetting makes! I also ride woods and basically sit in 3rd gear all day and it pulls out of it hard. I know it's not much of a change, but it helps in the straights with longer powerband. I will run a 14 in the front in faster areas like China Hat OHV. But I choose not to ride there much so my set up works well and should for you too.

I believe he (Graham Dwight) is simply saying he dropped a tooth in the rear and on occasion goes up one tooth in the front on his 2006 450X.The stock gearing/chain size on 05-09 450X's is 13/51 520x114.Unless you add teeth you should be fine with 114 links.

I wouldn't change the stock gearing (13/51), especially if you want more low end and ride a lot of woods. All you can do is go up to a 52, but honestly, I would recommend staying right there.

As for sprockets and chains. Any DID or Regina o-ring chain will do just fine. I like Ironman sprockets, but they are pricey. Get steel. Avoid aluminum.

If you ride tight woods and single track, try a 12X51. It will kill some top end but is a cheap change ($9 rockymountainmc). It is a big change but will let you know if you like the steeper gearing. If it is too much make half the change with a 13x53. In steep wooded singletrack I love the 12. Makes the gears closer too.

suppersprox dude! lifetime guarentee! but email then about which chain is in the guarentee, its tricky when ordering.

I went with the Rocky steel sprockets and DID O ring, don't remember which one. I went up to a 14 on the front but I ride Dual Sport and desert. Once in a while its too tall but not bad. I need the top speed for hwy. sections.

Ok, now we're getting somewhere!

I'm all for steel sprockets, no worries.

If I did decide to change the stock gearing, how to I figure out what length of chain I need?

For instance:

13/51 (stock) = chain size...520x114 .....thanks bubba

13/53 = chain size?

12/51 = chain size?

Edited by butterpants

It depends on if you want more steering or not , i run 13/52 and can go anywhere no matter how tight or tough and still hit over 75mph i buy a 120 link chain and usually end up cutting 2 links so 118 and it sets the axel back almost to the end (the last big notch from the end) it gives me tons of steering and i can still haul thru sand washes or blip right over a 3ft log ...the farther back the rear wheel the more steering , the shorter , it will give front end push in tight stuff.. I would rather have as much steering as i can when riding tight single track....and it still does fine hauling ass in the desert !

I never have push and i run a Mich M12 90/90-21 up front, narrowest tire you can buy in a 21 , but it does not deflect when hitting rocks or in ruts as much as a standard width tire , so that helps the overall handling and steering

For Gearing I have tried 53 and 54 and what i found was it made me have to shift all the time , where with the 52 i can stay in 2nd or 3rd (10-30mph)on 80% of the trails and when it gets real tough i hit 1st and it will crawl at about walking speed or hit 4th or 5th and haul ass !

oh and 13/53 should be 120 if i remember

1 other thing when using a larger rear sprocket it is better to put the wheel back as far as you can to keep the sprocket from rubbing the chain guide ..