Sign in to follow this  

tie down questions??

Ok so after months of u haul renting of trailers I finally got my own trailer. Its a small frame style with just a single rail on it for one bike. I pull with a car so this is perfect.

I just got my suspension redone and my forks are softer know so I really wanna tie this sucker down right. I usually just use 2 rachet straps on the handle bars but now I need more.

After reading a bunch of threads on here I see everyone says to use the soft straps with carabeaner?

If I get the tiedowns with the hook on one end and the carabeaner on the other what part does the hook go to? Also if I remove the hooks off my current rachet straps and put carabeaners on how do I reattach these?

I have always used the hook type and create the soft tie by sending the hook over the bar and then creating a loop therough the hook hole and then sending the loop over the hook. Then you have soft tie, and it wont come off. I have a number of different lenghts so if I have to turn bikes around I have the lenghts I need. The best tie downs for me have a long strap on the ratchet side with the hook.

best thing for you to get is the suspension saver. it will help you get your bike tied down tight and save your forks from undue compression shortening their lifespan.

soft ties around the forks, above the bottom triple clamp=no pressure on the bars or bar clamps. caribiner goes to the floor. use a rear shock spring between the top of the front tire and under the front fender. you can find rear shock springs cheap.

best thing for you to get is the suspension saver. it will help you get your bike tied down tight and save your forks from undue compression shortening their lifespan.

+1 on those. :ride:

Fwiw, I just use the hook on the bars near the bar clamps and pull tight enough to compress the forks on to the suspension saver and a bit more so that the tension is coming from compressing the tire, not the springs. Never lost a bike this way. Haven't damaged or scratched a bike using coated hooks, either. maybe it's just me. :lol:

Two cheap straps on the back in addition to the front will go a long way in keeping a bike from rocking around on a trailer. One on each side hooked to the subframe down to the floor at an angle. I even just put one on in back and it helps a lot.

Never used a suspension saver and never lost a bike or seals. If you really feel the need use a 4x4 block. I do remove the hooks at the bottom and use locking d-rings to the anchor points.

I never hook em to the bars, crack in a bar and your bike is gone. also hate "canyon dancers".. they pull the grips in. I put my tie down hooks over the tripple. Also from the rear, i go through my rear wheel between spokes and pull back a bit. Would be better with 2 from rear, like on the frame or foot pegs, but im lazy and 1 through the wheel has been doing fine. Never lost seals from not using a block or whatever that expensive piece of plastic is.. I don't leave em tied down over night, nor do i fully compress the front.

thanks for the info. I really just want the block to help sturdy the bike.

I still am confused about the carabeaner? it connects to my trailer? Or the hook end on the trailer? I have the eyeletts or loop things on the trailer whater you call them..

The carabiner goes on the trailer/lower mount point. You can cut the hook off ( cut the metal not the webbing) and slide a carabiner throught the loop effectively modifying your current tie downs cheaply.

I use the Pro Taper brand. 1.5" wide and come with a soft hook attached. I wrap the metal buckle with two old rags to keep from scratching my shrouds.

pro-taper-tie-downs.jpg

here's the poor mans version:

big zip tie on hook with long tail. not a carabiner, but the hook won't fall off the eye if the strap goes slack.

tiedown1.jpg

soft tie looped though hook eye for soft end, $1.73 pr at walmart, loop it through the right direction and the soft tie will pad the metal from your shrouds

tiedown2.jpg

I use a wheel chock in front, soft ties looped over the triple clamp, a seal saver, bungee straps on the front ratchet straps to keep them snug, and I use a ratchet strap on each foot peg pulluig toward the back, along with the ratchets on the triple clamp pulling foreward the bike cant move. She is locked in!

I use the Pro Taper brand. 1.5" wide and come with a soft hook attached. I wrap the metal buckle with two old rags to keep from scratching my shrouds.

pro-taper-tie-downs.jpg

Been using the generic tie-downs. Just got a set of the ProTapers and am very impressed. Worth the extra $ IMO. Much wider strap-very secure.

Buy a fork support, or cut a 2x4 and put camper tape on each top and bottom. when you tie a bike down bottomed out it will hurt forks, put stress on the springs. i think you can buy a fork support as low as $16.00 i made one with a 2x4 and made one out of metal tubing as well.

here is a link to a picture and a place to buy for support

http://www.sportutilitytrailers.com/img/products/PCFS1-fullsheet.jpg

Hmmm, I guess I'm behind the times. Been using good quality pull type tie-downs attached directly to the bar base (between bar clamp and bark buster) for ages. I use a 4x4 to keep fork compression to a minimum. For what it's worth, my bars are the oversized Tag deals. My trailer is very rigid, and if I ride with my Bro, he's got good loops in his truck bed, which is also pretty rigid.

I like the idea of using the carabeaner style tie-down looped over the bar like a soft strap like Erichens mentioned, like a soft noose.