Support President Bush

HOW YOU CAN HELP

Discerning the Times is asking for our readers' help. President Bush is correct in his assertion that the Kyoto Protocol will severely impact the United States' economy and citizens in a negative way. With public outrage around the world being directed at him, it is important that we send a message of support so that he will not back down from his position. You can help by copying the following message into an email addressed to: president@whitehouse.gov (Please encourage others to write as well.)

Dear President Bush,

This letter is in support of your recent decision for the United States to abandon the Kyoto Protocol. According to the most reliable sources, the treaty is indeed not only dangerous economically, but is unnecessary as well, since man-made global warming has not been proven scientifically. A very good research site complied by one of the world's foremost experts on global warming offers a wealth of information on the subject and agrees with your concern about the climate treaty: http://www.discerningtoday.org Please be encouraged that there are people in our great country who understand and support the wisdom in your decision.

Sincerely,

(insert your name here)

Alternate ways to contact the president:

c/o The White House

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW

Washington, DC 20500

White House switchboard: 202-456-1414

Fax: 202-456-2461

your wrong.

the USA has 8% of the worlds population & yet it produces 25% of it's green house gases. all the other countries signed up. all have a weaker economy than you. all have a lot to lose. you go without fries, europe goes without burger & fries.

the climate changes are already ******* us all up. i mean all of us. it's not like you produce the trouble & get away scott free is it!!!

even a thick brit knows the pounding that florida seems to take on a yearly basis.

why don't you combine your &%$#@!ed up gun laws with the kyoto agreeement & shoot everybody that disagrees. the only proviso is that they must be 18 & go to high school!!!

don't listen to this **** . the USA is the home of commerce, you've changed the world, nothing stops progress. introduce the new laws & adjust or...

we all die suckers!!!!

Taffy (RIP?)

your wrong.

the USA has 8% of the worlds population & yet it produces 25% of it's green house gases. all the other countries signed up. all have a weaker economy than you. all have a lot to lose. you go without fries, europe goes without burger & fries.

the climate changes are already ******* us all up. i mean all of us. it's not like you produce the trouble & get away scott free is it!!!

even a thick brit knows the pounding that florida seems to take on a yearly basis.

why don't you combine your &%$#@!ed up gun laws with the kyoto agreeement & shoot everybody that disagrees. the only proviso is that they must be 18 & go to high school!!!

don't listen to this **** . the USA is the home of commerce, you've changed the world, nothing stops progress. introduce the new laws & adjust or...

we all die suckers!!!!

Taffy (RIP?)

I am not a tree hugger by any sense of the word, but President Bush is wrong by withdrawing support of the Kyoto Agreement. I know you guys are happy that you got him elected and have somewhere to ride but there is a lot more to life than riding a dirt bike. Unfortunately, we need clean air to breathe and no one can convince me that all the greenhouse gases that are being produced are not effecting our climate. How do you think your economy will be affected when your taxes go up in order to pay for relief to pay for all the natural disasters that will be caused by global warming and to pay for the increased health care to pay for to help all the people with chronic breathing troubles due to poor air quality. President Bush is only concerned in short term issues and seems not be interested in conserving our environment and resources.

This is exactly whatI have been talking about. Every country that has signed up with that environmental agreement has a weaker economy than ours. They just want to drag us down to their level. This is just another reason to support our president.

Damn Taff, that foot & mouth has got you wound tight today!

I must agree with you on this topic (not the other three you introduced). Whether or not the rest of the world likes it, the U.S. leads in most technologies, not all but most. You have to take into account that Bush is an oil man. He is all about big business. He is a blue blood. He doesn't give a squirt of $^@

about the average person in my opinion, and I say that knowing that won't be popular here. I think we need to take a leadership role in new energy technologies, not take steps backward while lining the pockets of all my buddies. Keep in mind I live in California and the energy crisis is foremost in our minds. The city I live in has a municipally owned utility. My electric rates were just raised by 1.6%. Not a big deal at all but everyone around me is getting rammed. I like to ride as much as anybody here. I don't agree at all with the attempts to restrict our access to our land. BUT I do agree with being proactive on issues, energy being one of the biggest issues we have. Just drilling for more oil is shortsighted. That will work in the short term. But my brothers, we must look past the hood ornament on this one. New technologies like fuel cells and the pursuit of the holy grail, COLD FUSION (Kevin are you listening?) are some of the necessary technologies of the future. The F******* ice caps are melting. The rest of the world must think we are a bunch of arrogant B*******. I think you are looking at a one term president. I'm done.

Mike

What am I missing here? Why would any country want to drag the US down to their level? Seems to me that they want to come up to our level. We do have a responsibility to the rest of the world - we are the largest consumers. However, global warming, air pollution, etc are GLOBAL problems - sorry but it doesn't make any sense to me for San Diego to have some of the strictest air quality rules when you've got TJ burning trash & tires & the wind blows north.

I don't know enough about the Kyoto Protocol to argue it but the example that Discovery whatever cited about coal burning plants needs to be examined - we have the technology to clean up the exhaust on a coal burning plant & we need more power plants - do both. It's gonna cost money but everything does.

I done ranting - for now ?

Brian

Citizen Kane, that is a real intelligent response! Just because other countries actually give a crap about the environment doesnt mean that we are trying to bring down your economy! Heck, if it wasnt for OUR (Canada) natural resources your country's economy wouldnt be where it is today. We have to find a new source of energy, not just spend that amount of time and money searching for more fossil fuels. I think 100 years from now future generations will look at our legacy of destroying the environment with disgust!

ThumperTalk.com? Here’s a thought, lets bring religion into the bulletin board and get everyone hating each other. ?

------------------

Alaskan rider

'00 WR400FM

WR timing

air box lid removed

Throttle stop trimmed

MSR skid plate

Works frame guards

Baffle removed

----------------------

'00 Grizzly YFM600

Wow! Ward, you will probably never see a discussion about religion on this site. The reason is that it has no direct relationship to the issues we are discussing. Now if the POPE decided that motorcycle riding was a sin that would be a different matter. Then, you bet religion would be discussed. Instead what we are talking about here is that the environmental movement has decided that what we do and how we are living is a sin. And, because of that we are talking about it. Personally, I think this kind of debate is good. Almost everyone involved is being a good citizen. We are all after the TRUTH. Most of us are concerned and reasonable. We may not all agree but thats ok. I trust disagreement amoung the people on this forum more than I would a "Greenie" because I don't think anyone here is going to lie to cover up a hidden agenda. Therefore, I feel reasonably certain of an honest discussion. I do however have a serious bone to pick with Taffy.

Taffy, I have friends and relatives that live in England. Also, in Germany. Please do not pontificate to us about guns. Guns are a part of our culture that goes back to the revolution. I'm sure the crown wishes they could have enforced gun control on the colonist! But, thank God they didn't or we might still be under your F---ing rule! Since the Kyoto agreement, has the royal family decided to shutdown British Potroliem? If you don't drill for oil and sell it no one will be able to burn it! Right! Why don't you guys set the example and show us how it is done. By the way? Does your country meet the same emissions standards and control on your cars and trucks of the USA? Does any country in europe? Not only do you not, but, I can't even buy a car in europe in many cases and bring it here without serious modifications because our safty standards are so much more strick than yours. By the way, it wasn't all that long ago when you Brits were all up in arms because some of your Euro neighbors went to Brussels to stop exportation the British beef because of Mad Cow disease! You guys were going crazy because you thought it was a ploy by your competitors to get an edge on beef exportation! You were right. Even your own Euro states will screw you if given the chance. I have been to Europe. My ancestors came from there to escape persecution and an otherwise dismal life. Everytime someone says "Well in Europe they do this or that" as though we should, I get a little sick to my stomach. I could say a lot more about a lot worse from there but I won't. We are good friends after all. Just be careful about what you say about us and our culture. If yours wan't so F---ed up to begin with we might not even be here!

Now, what is this all about and what does it mean? I don't know President Bush. I don't know what is in his heart. I do know that he has children and that his dad has grandchildren. I can't imagine that they are so greedy or callous that they would sacrafice the future of they own heirs simply for short term monetary gains. But, maybe I am wrong. Maybe they don't care. Maybe they only care about making a lot of money for their friends so they can party now and screw the future of us all including their own children. I simply do not know. But I do not believe it. Something I do know is that we live in a very competetive and dangerous world. It doesn't seem to matter that the former Soviet Union literally dumped Billions of Curies of radioactive waste into the North Atlantic ocean. The gulf stream that circulates globally goes right through there! Instead our attention is directed to the burning of fossil fuels for which we have made incredible strides in mitigating the resultant pollutants. The air is a hell of a lot cleaner now than it was in the 60's. I grew up in LA in the fifties and sixties. Believe me the air there is far better now than it was then and the population of people and cars has increased tens fold! But think about it. We have an immediate need right now! California is in a serious energy crunch. Its not some smoke screen created by Republicans to stick you for more money! California is totally run by democrats. In the last several years there have been two major and several minor events which have led to the situation that we are in today. The population is growing by tens of millions of people. Personal computers and a variety of other electrical appliances is on the increase. Yet, no new power generation plants have been created. Dams hurt fish, Nuclear Plants well, are Nuclear. Thats bad right? Wind power is good but not enough. Solar is good but we can't have people generating too much of their own power. 1) Can't tax it very well. 2) Can't control it or the folks who use power they generate themselves. 3) Campaign contributers wouldn't like it. 4) If we build miles of solar panels to power our cities where will we build them? In the mean time we all have to drive to work, power our PC's etc.. Do we have a short term requirement that requires a short term solution? I think so. So, what should we do about it? If we are really serious about a better long term solution then don't drop the ball. Support the president to get over the hump and then follow up with something better. I'll join you! I would love a cheap, clean source of energy to replace fossile fuels, DAMS, and Nuclear power. But how long before it is ready and what do we do in the mean time. Should I stay home from work. When I get to work should I leave my PC powered off? Should the wheels of industry take a holiday for say 2 months while we sort this whole thing out? I vote for that! Lets go riding..until the gas runs out. ?

PMAUST.....You took the words right out of my mouth. DAG NABBIT, I wish I could write like that. That was a homerun.

pmaust

yep, your emmision laws are stricter on vehicles. it's all very technical & hard to get to the bottom. we shouldn't be sidetracked.

from where i sit all our politicians offer us what we want to hear every four years. to me each president since about the mid seventies has been less & less prepared to hand out the bad news.

there are so many avenues we could go down.

the point is that by pushing here 1% & pushing there 1% we all howl but eventually we get the job done. however when a man comes to power & RENADES on a previous agreement that is bang out of line.

it's not the fact that the USA is 25% of the problem. it's the fact that nobody else can be bothered to either sign, bother or stick to the agreement if the USA won't!

suddenly i hope you see that the US isn't 25% but 50% or HALF of it.

if you don't sign this time, just how bad has it got to be before we get anything done the next time?

the ineptitude of beauracracy has to be seen to be believed. the grey men are going to kill us all eventually.

Taffy

Pmaust,

Well said. I do think California created it's own problem. I do agree that short term solutions are needed. I just hope we don't abandon the quest for long term solutions.

Taff,

You're right about smoke being blown where the sun doesn't shine every four years.

Citizen,

I agree the air is MUCH cleaner than it used to be, this is a good thing and is the result of forward thinking.

Rob,

Don't be scared away. This is just conversation among friends. And people never agree on everything, which is fine. We just never make it personal.

Let's ride!!!!!! ?

Mike