need help ktm 300

:ride:i have 02 ktm 300 exc smokes a llot i mean really a lot does nt foul plugs and runing 32;1 ratio cleaned carb and has good compresion has bog mid range wents get high in rpms it smooth and take off is smooth only rought in mid range need help bad want to ride with my kids not fimliar with 2 strokes haven t had one since i was a kid justbought bike:ride:

See what jets are in the carb

Things you can try for free/cheap.

Try a fresh tank of fuel (super) mix at 50 to 1,see what that does.

If you still have a problem...if you think the bog is rich,lower the needle by raising the clip 1 notch.

If you think it is lean,raise the needle by lowering the clip 1 notch.

KTM 2st come stock with a bad needle, they always need to be changed. Start with removing the carb and posting the jets and needle that are in it. They also usually need to have the float level lowered as well to keep the gas from pushing thur the pilot jet when poking along.

:ride:i have 02 ktm 300 exc smokes a llot i mean really a lot does nt foul plugs and runing 32;1 ratio cleaned carb and has good compresion has bog mid range wents get high in rpms it smooth and take off is smooth only rought in mid range need help bad want to ride with my kids not fimliar with 2 strokes haven t had one since i was a kid justbought bike:ride:

It sounds like you have a bad seal on the crankshaft. It is sucking in transmission lub into the engine. I hope all it is is the jetting but I doubt it.

Jetting on that bike should be about...

NOZ1 needle/ 168 main/ 35 to 40 polit (I used a 38 mostly)

but I belive it the crank seal also..

The needle is too rich for the first 1/4 to 1/2 half throttle on these years. This leads to excessive smoke/spooge, and it doesn't rev up as cleanly as it should, and then hits abruptly when it does get going. I can't remember the exact number, but I was using a Honda single taper needle those years that was much leaner. I would suggest you go to KTMTalk and go to their jetting section for good advice

i don t think it the crank seal because bike starts fraist kick every time

any way to check if crank seals are bad and it does nt foul plugs

Edited by harleyjim83
for got somthing

yeah stick the crank case vent hose in a glass of water and look for bubbles. thats what I have read anyway, havent tried it.

Edited by Colemd

is nt going to blow bubbles any way and to replace crank seals do you have to split cases and would it foul plugs

you dont have to split the cases just remove clutch and stator to pick them out

a shop told me to drain gear oil and start bike for 2 minutes and see if the smokes clear up.how hard is it to change seals and what usally cause them to go bad and does any one know how much they usally cost

roughly 20 for one side and 26 for the other seals are not to hard as long as you have the needed tools to remove the clutch and flywheel

i know how to pull clucth and fly wheel how do you get the bearings out

the seals are on the outside of the bearings, its a 2st and the bearings are lubed by the fuel oil, not the gear oil.

is there a specail tool to pull seals out and put them in and should i put oil on the seals before install

no special tools some people uses screws I use a dental pick type tool personally and yes lube the seal a bit with oil to help re seat it

Had to replace crank seals on my CR one is behind stator other is behind clutch basket. Did not foul plugs,Idle would rev real high out of no wereI also have an 02 300 I could check my jets and needle clip if you needme to. With pump gas I run 40 to 1 with a good pre mix (torco)