Rebirth Rider

I use to ride for years when I was younger, and now after years of dedicated interest my 10 year old son is ready to ride. So I am now looking to purchase a bike for myself and am having trouble figuring out what size of bike will be more beneficial. We live in Oregon and am surrounded by riding opportunities galour. So thre bike size I'am contemplating is either a 200 or 230 or am I wasting my time and should just look into the 250's. Please let me know.

What's your idea of riding?

Do you like to impersonate the action shots on the cover of Motocross Action Magazine or are you looking for a quiet trail bike? :ride:

The action shots I get are usually me out of control going down a mud bank with my eyes closed and screamimg like a girl. LOL, no I just want a bike that I can ride with my son and have fun. :ride:

hmmmmmmm...... Buy an xr 200 or crf230 and then upgrade as your son gets faster. It seems like in my experience most race bikes get all gummed up putting around.........

Well, trail bike it is, then. :ride:

I'd get something like an XR-200R, CR-F230F, TT-R225, TT-R230, etc.

Y'know, something the manufacturer would advertise as a play bike.

Model year doesn't matter as much as what condition the bike is in.

I would defiantly favor the hondas of the two... I'm not a brand whore either, they just seem like better bikes in this area.

what about the ignition switch being the only starter system for the TTR-225. Can you convert it to have a kick start? I have heard that they have alot their problems are related to the ignition system.

forget the ttr pig----------------go for the honda...

Yes, definately get the Honda. :ride:

If you do something that's a no-no, like letting the battery run down to nothing or ride around with the battery leads loose, then you can count on having electric start problems.

Otherwise, I don't see a problem.

having riden all of the bikes listed above, stay away from the ttr-225 and ttr-230. They make no horsepower at all, and are boring to ride. They are great for my girlfriends to ride because they dont risk looping it, you can pretty much rev it to the moon and dump the clutch on a hill and it will just climb.

If your going to go yamaha find a TTR-250. They are the funnest trail bike i have ever riden. Also the honda 230's are great and have lots of hop ups. But the suspension on all trail bikes really suck.

My mom, 43 yrs old rode my yz450f and was pissed that ive been taking her on trails that beat her to hell on her 230, and she was able to fly over everything with no problems on my bike. Because of this im now trying to fit some yz125 shocks and forks to her 230 (we own 3 230's). The suspension is "that" bad.

And of course if you want to be the coolest dad around, american honda just put out a honda crf150R frame with a cr250R motor in it, you will have the ULTIMATE play bike! small and flickable bike with monster 2 stroke power!

E start only would scare me out on the trails...... What if you crash and damage the battery, or go through a ton of water.. or it leaks or dies.... I know its quite inlikely, but just another thing to go wrong. Plus if he buys an xr 200 for like 700 bucks he can get his money back out of it when he upgrades.

I just found an xr200 so I'm gonna go check it out is there anything I should look for

what year and price?

2002 xr200 w/250 suspension for 1400

a newer one..... Defiantly offer him lower....like offer 1000 and see where it goes. I got my 85 for 1100 when he was asking 1400.

he has had it tilted and plated I offered him 1100 to start then he said 1500 then I offered him 1300 he said 1500 lol then i offered him 1400 and he said 1500 lol so i dont know he did put obo but he's not negotiating very well lol

oregon is weird, hardly any people title their bikes. i live in washington and just bought my ktm in oregon. Up here everything is titled.

yeah i have noticed that. Hopefully this bike is on point its in Pacific city which is over an hour away so we will see.

E start only would scare me out on the trails...... What if you crash and damage the battery, or go through a ton of water.. or it leaks or dies.... I know its quite inlikely, but just another thing to go wrong. Plus if he buys an xr 200 for like 700 bucks he can get his money back out of it when he upgrades.

Then push start it....

My GF has the CRF230, been a great bike and the E-Start is a real confidence builder. I was tempted to upgrade the suspension, or put the 230 engine in a 125 chassis... I decided I am going to sell the CRF230, I already got her a KDX200, which is another bike you might consider (though it is a 2 stroke).

oregon is weird, hardly any people title their bikes. i live in washington and just bought my ktm in oregon. Up here everything is titled.

Just curious why that is? Can you get tabs without having it titled?