Sign in to follow this  

piston circlips.....

ive been trying for more than a half hour i cant get them off... any tips? im using needle nose pliers i thing they might be a little to big.

Just use a small screwdriver and gently pry the ring away at the point on the piston which has a notch.

small screwdriver or small pick ....Do not reuse it after

you get it out . New circlip everytime

ok thanks

how about getting them on?

Get the one side in, try to roll it and push it in, use your fingers (or small needle nose) and don't bend the clip, it takes some patience (hard to describe how to do it). Here is the most important part trust me I made the mistake. Even if you hear a snap, they probably are not in correctly. Take the backend of a socket that fits perfectly onto the clip, think maybe I used a 14mm (??). Push on the clip with that, you might hear another snap then you know it's in good, might even tap it VERY LIGHTLY with a hammer. Make sure they are in or:

n641627882_1482989_7202.jpg

lol Theckeler,

That pic makes me wince every time you post it!

lol Theckeler,

That pic makes me wince every time you post it!

ha... me too, but hey it was a good lesson. Now I know.

here's the other one, ha:

n641627882_1482990_8379.jpg

Hey FYI, that's about what the cylinder I sent in to Langcourt looked like. $200 later and it's all shiny new.

J.

Hey FYI, that's about what the cylinder I sent in to Langcourt looked like. $200 later and it's all shiny new.

Ya, if it ever happens to me again (knock on wood) I'll send out that one to get done. I might do it in a couple years and redo the top again again as well. My youngest will be 4+ then so be a fun thing for us to do together ha...

Ya, if it ever happens to me again (knock on wood) I'll send out that one to get done. I might do it in a couple years and redo the top again again as well. My youngest will be 4+ then so be a fun thing for us to do together ha...

Pics of 4+ year old swallowing circlips please.

Pics of 4+ year old swallowing circlips please.

ha, hopefully it's the old clips. Looking for a PW50 now for him, something beat up and cheap, I can fix up in the next couple years.

I traded an old blazer I had for a 99 z50 for my boy. He'll be 4 in april. He hasn't seen it yet, but I've managed to crash it a couple times, lol.

Back in the 70's my best friend (15 yo) had a new Suzuki 90. He decided to take the top end off just to look. He dropped the circlip down in the case and couldnt retrieve it so he took and cut a loop off an old door spring to use as a circlip. Put it back together and fired it up. Didnt last more than 30 seconds before it needed new piston and cylinder. Stuff some rags around the rod and cases and use a pick to pluck the clip out. Throw it out in the grass so you cant find it and wont be tempted to reuse it.

I traded an old blazer I had for a 99 z50 for my boy. He'll be 4 in april. He hasn't seen it yet, but I've managed to crash it a couple times, lol.

Nice... I'm hoping to get mine on a PW50 at 3-4. No hurry so looking for that right priced bike. Everyone suggested the PW50 since it's smaller than most 50s.

Yeah the z50 is still gonna be a little tall for him. I think the seat height on the PW is lower, and the automatic tranny is nice for them learning. I lucked up on the z50 though in that trade. It was owned by a bike shop owner since new and meticulously maintained. His kid spent a couple years on it before moving up to an 80 so it's barely used.

IMG00091.jpg?t=1264893187

Yeah the z50 is still gonna be a little tall for him. I think the seat height on the PW is lower, and the automatic tranny is nice for them learning. I lucked up on the z50 though in that trade. It was owned by a bike shop owner since new and meticulously maintained. His kid spent a couple years on it before moving up to an 80 so it's barely used.

Wow, looks nice, I believe the PW's seat is also adjustable or something. My hope is to get one, for the now <2 year old, fix it up while I wait for him to get old enough to ride it (ride a bicycle with no training wheels) and in the mean time get my daughter (6) interested and maybe out for a ride on it. HA...

I tried getting my daughter into it. She's 12 now. Much more interested in dancing and horses. That's cool with me I reckon!

I tried getting my daughter into it. She's 12 now. Much more interested in dancing and horses. That's cool with me I reckon!

Ha, ya I figure I get one if she wants to try it cool, if not it's there for the other kid... he sleeps with toy motorcycles and loves them when he sees them on the street.