Sign in to follow this  

Suspension question

since my suspension hasn't ever been serviced im not sure to do the shock rebuild or the shock revalve, those are the two services from a local suspension shop im looking at for the shock. which one do you guys think? I also posted my options for the forks.

Basic Service $69.95

Disassemble, clean and inspect, replace fatigued shims, replace suspension fluid and nitrogen.

Shock Rebuild $119.95

Basic service + replace shaft bushing, oil seal, dust wiper and seal head "O"-ring.

Shock Revalve (mild re-stack) $99.95

Existing valving shims are restacked according to rider preference and recommendations, includes basic service.

And for the forks i have these options:

Basic Service $79.95

Disassemble, clean and inspect, replace fatigued shims, and replace suspension fluid and set oil level..

Fork Rebuild $169.95

Basic service + replace inner / outer bushings, oil seal and dust wiper.

Fork Revalve (mild re-stack) $109.95

Existing valving shims are restacked according to rider preference and recommendations, includes basic service.

I dont know anything about suspension so im not sure which services to go with.

i would say do what you can afford. but they probably need the rebuild at the minimum.

its an 06 crf250r, i ride mx, and dunes and trails every once in a while. I dont race so i have know what class i would even be in.

I'd say go with the rebuild. New seals are always nice to have, and since you ride dunes the sand might have torn/worn the old ones. Don't go with the revalve unless you are way too small or big for the bike. 140-160 you can fudge it and get the stock stuff to work real nice for you.

I'm 195 with gear on so I'm thinking the rebuild for the forks and shock and also stiffer springs.

I'm 195 with gear on so I'm thinking the rebuild for the forks and shock and also stiffer springs.

Me and my friends can do your suspension, We've been to MMI and other various mechanic schools, and have done lots of field work at races. If you're interested in prices we can most likely beat those prices. send me a PM if you're interested

Make sure you use a good quality synthetic oil. I found out first hand that Maxxis oil is not real good suspension oil and the seals start to leak quickly because of it. This was confirmed by a very reputable suspension guy. The oil has a lot to do with wear and the plushness of the ride. Don't skimp on the oil.