Sign in to follow this  

How should I be geared?

Curious as to what most of you are running?

I never hit top gear, rarely do I hit 4th or 5th when running harescrambles, am I just not that fast???

I never hit top gear, rarely do I hit 4th or 5th when running harescrambles, am I just not that fast???

No one can make a statement that you are not fast because even though you said you are racing harescrambles, you didn't give us the terrain type?

When racing tight woods and such, I rarely get above 3rd gear...when in more open stuff, hit 4th and occassionally 5th....only hit 6th gear once on a 1/2 mile grass field straightway...

My gearing is 13/50 right now.

what bike?

i just switched to 14/52 and love it. I use to run 13/48. When you do the math there is not much differnce. However, when you ride its amazing!!!!!!!

i just switched to 14/52 and love it. I use to run 13/48. When you do the math there is not much differnce. However, when you ride its amazing!!!!!!!

what do you feel that is better?? im always interested in "better"

I run 14/52.I like having a 14 on the front rather than the 13 because it saves the chain sliders.I ride anything from tight single track to blacktop.I think if i geared any lower my first gear would be useless.I had 14/50 stock on my 05 and there was too much gap between 1and 2.

12/52 here. but im running a 02 400 mxc which is very tall. replacement sliders are cheap.

what bike?

450EXC. Most of my harescrambles are pretty tight, although one was 80% open sand whoops. For me most all the riding will be closer to singletrack conditions.