Mototown

Connecticut

I understand what Mototown is trying to do with the session format but it is just plain not working! Yesterday was a complete fiasco. The main problem being, if you sell riders 2 hours of track time for a given price, how can you then break that time up into further mini and big bike sessions? Now you are getting 1 hour of ride time for $30. I realize that they are trying to make it safer for the mini riders but now it becomes very unsafe for the rest of us. You now have ALL the big bikes being forced onto the track at the same time because that is your only chance to ride. And I'm sure many riders will stay out when they are tired trying to get as much track time as possible causing even more safety issues. Mototown claimed that the session format was to alleviate congestion on the track but it is doing just the opposite. I have never experienced that number of riders on the track at one time when it was a day pass format. And, BTW, there was more than the supposed 50 rider limit in the first session. There was a check in sheet with all 50 names of riders with reservations. All names were checked off with an additional 15 to 20 names written in who were not on the original list. I counted over 50 big bikes in the staging area waiting for the mini session to end. I'm sure there were many bikes outside also. Greed at the expense of rider safety??? Now we're talking 60-75 bikes on the track at once! How is this safe? I know some people are going to say "just be grateful you have somewhere to ride". I understand and I AM thankful for someplace to ride. I just think Mototown needs to do it differently. There are several things they could do. 1)-Build a small mini track. 2)-If they are going to continue to break up sessions they need to either extend the sessions (3 or 4 hour sessions?) for the same dollar amount or 3)-Do away with the sessions entirely. I would gladly go back to a $50 or $60 flat day rate and be able to ride at my leisure. Not to mention the hassle of trying to make plans and reservations 48 hrs. in advance and be on a schedule. I'm on a schedule all week. I don't need it in my leisure activities. Plus, how many man hours are spent on Mototown's part dealing with all this session reservation nonsense? Oh, I forgot to mention that two friends were banned for life from the facility for arguing with management when they were refused a refund after finding out that the time they paid for would now be cut in half. I definitely don't have all the answers but something needs to be done. Sorry for the rant but I'm just frustrated and venting.

Edited by dvn

2 hours should be 2 hours of access, half that is BS. Double the length if you need to but if I'm PAYING for a reservation, I want that 2 hour block for my use, not half of it or for 20 extra guys who show up without a reservation.

Sounds like the old Seinfeld episode where he is trying to pick up his reserved rental car, "Sorry sir, we have the reservation but not the car", "where is the car?", "we rented it to someone else", "do you know what a reservation is? "yes", ***"I don't think you do!"

They want the reservation to be sure they get $$$, but then you gotta respect the riders who PAY FOR IT!

I used to be able to go there & ride within a 2 hour block, very short breaks & just pound laps off. It worked for me as it is a loooong way from home. You leave early, 2+ hours drive, 2 hours riding, on the way home by 1:30, home around 4:30. It might not be what you want but if you have paid for that you prepare & expect it.

Sounds like a real problem, especially for guys who will be reserving time & driving 2+ hours to sit & watch the time being used by someone else. No thanks. Thats gotta change.

Not Happy to hear of the problems, but having been considering driving over 2 hours to get there myself....Needless to say I will not be making the trip. I agree minis should have there time, perhaps they could do a "lighting system " as LIMX in NY has, as well as giving a 3 hr block for the price?

15 minute motos for each size respectively that will at least gives 30 minutes of riding per hour with forced breaks for gas etc etc.

a congested track equals danger and sooner or later a tragedy !!!!

Am I reading that correctly, and it was jam packed on a Wednesday? I'm considering another trip up, but it's over 4 hours away, and 75 squids on that track is nuts!

Haha, just kidding about the squid part, remember that guy a few weeks back?

I figured as word got out that the track was good and the sessions were working people would start showing up without reservations. It's hard to turn people away but that is the only way sessions will work. Like Dave said, when you break it up for the minis every big bike has to get back on the track at the same time or it's a waist of money. I hope they can figure it out.

I agree with a lot of what dvn said. I was there on wednesday for the first session. When i was signing in, they were turning people away saying to come back the next session. It was my first time there and im coming from the amsterdam area, we had no idea how long it was going to take to get there. We left at 9 am, ran into so traffic issues, ended up getting there at around 12:10. We waiting in line to sign in, rushed to get the bikes off the truck and get changed, didnt get on the track until around 12:30.. Theres 30 minutes already gone. I get arm pump quick when i dont ride for a week or two. I havent rode since November! I did feel like i had to ride through the pain to get my 30 dollars worth of riding in. I ended up putting about 20 riding minutes on my bike. Sure i could have bought another session but wasnt up for it. I would have loved to spend 50 bucks for the day pass. The only thing that i dont agree with was how he said it was overly crowded. I felt pretty comfortable on the track as i was keeping my lines and no minis were cutting infront of me. It is really nice to have a place to ride but it is pretty expensive for that amount of riding time especially considering how every other practice track is 20-30 dollars for the whole day. I will go back though just because its the only place to ride around here in the winter...

I figured as word got out that the track was good and the sessions were working people would start showing up without reservations. It's hard to turn people away but that is the only way sessions will work. Like Dave said, when you break it up for the minis every big bike has to get back on the track at the same time or it's a waist of money. I hope they can figure it out.

I hate to get nit picky, but who can take you seriously when you can't even spell.................. WASTE. Must be the medication, haha :ride: Hehe! Rules and limitations go out the window when money is involved. My solution, 1.5 hr sessions for big bikes 30 minutes for mini's. Price is 25 for each 2 hr block, no discount for second. 30 minutes between sessions for track repair. Every session gets a fresh track. Just my .02. Who cares if it's not fair for mini riders, lol JK, ok ,JK. Someone, big bike or mini rider, is never going to be happy unless they build a mini track. Come to think of it, maybe they can open early for a 2 hr block for the over 50 "AARP" crew!

I hate to get nit picky, but who can take you seriously when you can't even spell.................. WASTE. Must be the medication, haha :D Hehe! Rules and limitations go out the window when money is involved. My solution, 1.5 hr sessions for big bikes 30 minutes for mini's. Price is 25 for each 2 hr block, no discount for second. 30 minutes between sessions for track repair. Every session gets a fresh track. Just my .02. Who cares if it's not fair for mini riders, lol JK, ok ,JK. Someone, big bike or mini rider, is never going to be happy unless they build a mini track. Come to think of it, maybe they can open early for a 2 hr block for the over 50 "AARP" crew!

Speaking of track repair. They touched up one or two spots between sessions 1 and 2 and it still took close to 30 minutes. There goes 10-15 minutes from your second session already. I like the "AARP" session idea! :bonk:

I guess the track being overcrowded depends on your perspective. If you are trying to do the majority of the obstacles and there are 3 or 4 riders in front of you who aren't doing them, it gets dangerous. In those cases, I won't do it, which further takes away from the riding experience. When it's that busy, the only SAFE solution is to break it up into skill levels. Remember, like they used to do???:lol: How can you do that with sessions? You'd get what, 15 min. of ride time? I want to be clear that I am in no way trying to bash Mototown! I appreciate what they are trying to do. I just think they need to take the riders wishes into consideration a bit more. IDK, I just wish they could come up with a better program.:ride:

Edited by dvn

yea i dont like hearing all this...i was considering a trip up.thats about 4+ for me too and i certainly wont make that kinda commitment for 15 min ride time every hour i pay for.

This isn't the first time the over booked or broke it up almost every weekend ends up like this. It does suck to be on the track that short with 40 other bikes when atleast half of them are dangerous. Some of the riders their wen looked like they've never been on an mx track.

The solution is easy, you block out a 2 hour session for minis to reserve. Big bikes from 12-4, minis 4-6, back to big bikes, just like they should do for ATVs.

I know they want to maximize $ but if your customers are pissed they don't return. For me to drop over $100 in fuel, tolls & entry while spending a full day driving to get an hour of rushed time on track & to get frustrated, well, it is not happening.

This is definetly a finite market, only so many will pay to ride a MX track in 20 degree temps & we all hear the problems in this small community.

Fix it guys!!!:ride:

This isn't the first time the over booked or broke it up almost every weekend ends up like this. It does suck to be on the track that short with 40 other bikes when atleast half of them are dangerous. Some of the riders their wen looked like they've never been on an mx track.

thats because alot havent...where do you think the guys riding on farms/fields are riding when its nasty out?...they decide theyre going to ride a "supercross track" haahahaha

Like others, I was also interested in taking the 2+ hour ride with my 9 year old son to check out Mototown, but after hearing more than a few stories like this, especially during the WEEK, I don't think we'll chance it.

What is the reason they need to organize it differently than other tracks? Is it because it's a shorter track and can't handle as many bikes? I didn't do any lap times when I was there, but it didn't look like they would be that much lower than some tracks I ride a lot. Is exhaust fumes the problem? It didn't strike me as overwhelming, but if it was they should be able to exhaust the place fairly easily since it's not heated anyway. It's normal around here to split into A-B-C-small bikes, so you usually get 4-6 15-20 minutes practice motos in a 6 hour day. That wouldn't work there?

I thought they limited the bikes to 50 per session? as far as the big bikes 1 1/2 hr & the minis 1/2 hr, how is that fair? The mini riders can out last most of the big bike riders anyway. They need to stick to their rules of 50 per session Big bikes or minis

Edited by frankiewhipit

I was part of the fiasco last Wednesday as well. Our first time there thinking that a middle of the week ride would be less crowded, boy were we wrong. It actually was a great day to ride temps wise but the number of riders came as a surprise to us.

The sign up situation was a bit of a mess. Quite a bit of a wait despite having made reservations. A couple of the guys with us (no res.) were rightfully told that they had to wait until the 2pm session to start but were given pink wrist bands which are for the noon start. They eventually got it straight but only after having to go back in the trailer and farting around and wasting riding time. As far as track time, IMO the first session was crowded but long enough to get some good riding in. After about an hour or so I believe they let the mini's on then groomed the track prior to the 2pm go. After that, the flow became real confusing. Unless you started right away with the mass gaggle (40 bikes or more) it seemed we were quickly being waived off the track for the mini's again. If there's a schedule of events, it was unknown to us. The locals seemed to have an idea when things were going to happen but the rest of us were a bit out of sync. The best/worst was one time a couple of us fired up our bikes all psyched to go only to be shut down because everyone was once again being waived off the track. A large posted schedule and a clock would go a long way! (I hope there wasn't one there already because if so it verify how far my head is up my ars!:ride:)

All-in-all a great time and a good way to keep the juices flowing for us northern guys during the middle of the winter. If you can hit it without a large crowd there then consider yourself fortunate. I think it was a great experience and helluva a lot fun but a bit hairy if you're not used to ridding with a lot of other bikes near you. With a just a bit of improvement to their organizational items I think Mototown will have it about as good as you can get considering the volume of bikes wanting to ride their track. I highly suggest you make reservations ahead of time!

No help or comments from the MotoTown staff??

Anyone email them about this?

Edited by HondaYamiMXer
v

Sounds way overpriced and dangerous.

I'll never give them my money if thats the way they operated.

Glad I don't live in CT anymore, sucks for MX.

I do like Rocky Hill.

Went again this wen and it was much better I guess alot of kids didn't have school last wen that's why it was crowded didn't come closrle to selling out and now the track goes the oposite direction. They had a water main brak and leak for 8 hrs on mon track was alittle soft but still better then not riding in febuary

I rode their on sunday 1/31 and it was terrible...dont go...that way I can have the place all to myself! Hahahahahahahahahah.

It wasnt bad 50-55 bikes but after a few laps people start pulling off for short breaks before getting back on. I didnt think it was unsafe. I had a blast. Doesnt hurt that it was 12 degrees out Im sure.