Sign in to follow this  

Which would you pick: used '07 with 7000miles or brand new '09?

I'm planning on picking up a DRZ-SM. I'll be riding on both the street and the track, and only for fun, so I won't be racking up miles while commuting. If I like track riding, I will eventually sell the DRZ and buy something more appropriate for racing.

I've found one used DRZ in my area:

• 2007 model
  • 7000+ miles
  • very clean, and mostly stock
  • Yosh RS-2 full system with jet kit
  • new battery and tires
  • $4000 OTD

The cheapest price (without any haggling) from a local dealer for a new 2009 DRZ is $5600 OTD.

I'm gonna pull the trigger on one of them, but I need some help deciding whether it's worth forking over the extra $$ for a new one.

Thanks.

Edited by Yer

if the 07 is well taken care of, then i would go with that.. the only plus of a new bike is that you have a warrantee, but thats also its downside. i would go with the 07 for 2 reasons, one being that it already has some "customization" to it, and 2 because without the warrantee dangling over your head, you are frre to modify at your own will!

-Jake400sm

It will take some cash for an exhaust, jet kit, fender eliminator, etc. So the 09 will be at least 6,000 by the time its said and done (the exhaust alone will be over 400 bucks). Just some food for thought, and thats my own opinion.

By the new one. The '07 at 7k miles may be needing some top end maintenance..Probably about 1/2 way there depending on how its been cared for OR less..

I bought mines at 11k miles and have put 1k on it.. I cheaked the valves and they were fine..

If you plan on modding it get the 07,.. BUcause you will end up spending additional money on the 09..

PL offer him 3500.. I seen bike on craigs list decreasing on price everyweek.. In this economy bikes/toys are not selling.

Looks like the decision has been made for me. The used '07 was just sold. The "high" mileage was bothering me a bit, anyway.

I guess I'll make a few calls and see which local dealer is willing to drop their price the most.

Thanks for the quick replies.

7000 miles is not high for a DRZ. What's the point of having a motor that is low on power if it won't last one riding season?

Looks like the decision has been made for me. The used '07 was just sold. The "high" mileage was bothering me a bit, anyway.

I guess I'll make a few calls and see which local dealer is willing to drop their price the most.

Thanks for the quick replies.

there are new, leftover models from previous years. I just saw a new 07 for $4800 (ad price from a dealer)

7k miles isnt high at all but since the 07 sold get the new one. Oh and the DRZ is a race bike with the proper mods.

$1500 less than a new one With NEW tires and a NEW battery? and you want him to spend 4k for a bike with 7k unknown miles, crappy pipe and $5 worth of jets and no warranty?

Be glad it was sold. Especially if he wouldnt budge on price.

Or you could buy the cherry plated 400e for 2k, send the motor to eddie for bigbore and stroker, buy a set of supermoto wheels and still be under 5k. If you plan on modding it why pay for parts you are just gonna rip off and replace anyway?

7000 miles is not high for a DRZ. What's the point of having a motor that is low on power if it won't last one riding season?

I second that...a properly maintained bike should be fine at that mileage in all categories. My 05' SM has almost 7k and within the past few days I've been doing a general cleaning/rebuilding....every thing from my valve clearances and spark plug to my sprockets show virtually no signs of being worn down. I ride the p*ss out of that bike from the second it's warmed up until I park it.

I know you said the whip in question was just sold...but with these bike long as it's maintained good I'd always take a used bike with the work done than a more expensive new one.