2002 Silverado 2500 HD shifting problems

The last couple days when shifting to Drive from park, the light around the "D" doesn't light up and the truck doesn't go into gear, like it is in neutral. Yesterday, i noticed i was in 3rd and went to shift to Drive and it did this same thing, no light no gear, middle of traffic.

Shifting to Reverse, same thing. no light but it will be in gear.

Today, i tried to shift to Drive after shutting of the truck and it did the same thing, tried 3rd and second and only revs up, shift to reverse to park real slow then back to drive and it would work, but no reasoning that I can figure.

On the way home today, i had to shift to 1st to get the forward gears to engage. I hope the tranny isn't going, almost 80,000 miles now. my fingers are crossed.

It has the 8.1 and the allison tranny.

Looking for ideas where to start?

Edited by ZEKEDAWG
The last couple days when shifting to Drive from park, the light around the "D" doesn't light up and the truck doesn't go into gear, like it is in neutral. Yesterday, i noticed i was in 3rd and went to shift to Drive and it did this same thing, no light no gear, middle of traffic.

Shifting to Reverse, same thing. no light but it will be in gear.

Today, i tried to shift to Drive after shutting of the truck and it did the same thing, tried 3rd and second and only revs up, shift to reverse to park real slow then back to drive and it would work, but no reasoning that I can figure.

On the way home today, i had to shift to 1st to get the forward gears to engage. I hope the tranny isn't going, almost 80,000 miles now. my fingers are crossed.

It has the 8.1 and the allison tranny.

Looking for ideas where to start?

I would say the Alison tranny is way way different then what is in my truck but I had some of the same issues with my Silveraldo. Mine ended up being the shift servo's had gotten hot and burnt out. Anyway had them replaced and problem fixed, may want to look into it. Hope this helps.

Sounds more like an electrical issue, computer, sensors, shifter switch etc...transmission it self I bet is fine. Some part of the control is messed up.

Sounds more like an electrical issue, computer, sensors, shifter switch etc...transmission it self I bet is fine. Some part of the control is messed up.

That's my guess. Something electrical especially since its not lighting up. I haven't heard of any issues with that transmission so I'll put my money on a electrical problem.

If you go to Aamco, I think they'll read your code(s) for free. If there is an electrical issue, it will be logged in the computer.

MLPS on the exterior of the tranny was bad, wet weather isn't their friend, had 10 inches of rain in 7 days. Still cost over $300 to fix, but glad it wasn't a whole tranny.

MLPS on the exterior of the tranny was bad, wet weather isn't their friend, had 10 inches of rain in 7 days. Still cost over $300 to fix, but glad it wasn't a whole tranny.

Much better than $3000. Glad it wasn't too serious.

might have to tell my buddy this, his 1500hd was doing the same thing and still is, it started up after we kept getting stuck in snow

seems to be the trigger that makes them finally go bad. someone else online had one go bad after a heavy snow storm. Seems like a common problem after talking to trans shop guy.