Sign in to follow this  

oldie!!!!

hi i have a 81 RS175 that i traded for, and i need to drain the trans oil and im just wondering what kind i should replace it with? ive had a 2 stroke before but it was a newer one and it had a manual(im too cheap to get one right now) so yeah im lost on this bike is it like every other one were it uses trans oil?

Nice bike! The RS175 was basically a PE175 with shorter suspension and a real headlight. So if you can't find a RS manual, a PE manual for an '80 or '81 will still work.

In any case, what ever trans oil and gas mix that you are using in your modern 2 stroke, that will work fine in this bike. Yes, the factory manual might say that you should use a 20:1 premix, but the oils are a lot better. Heck, I use to run 40:1 in my '82 PE175 and it loved it!

Now get working on those wheelies!

1980_RS175-250_ad_USA_450.jpg

nvm i have bigger problems than this! ill post pics to show you what i mean. and dont think ill be doing any wheelies any time soon :ride:

oh and whats the easiest way to get the kick start shaft out with out having to take the motor out?

Edited by mx2007

You should be able to release the spring (with some vise grips) and

take the gear and shaft right out. Those bolts you see behind it are to hold

the bearing in place.

The goodnews is those teeth don't grind up to well. At least you won't be hunting

in all the bearings for shavings!

Wow, that's rough man. You'll find the gears though same basic platform as the RM and PE.

Use a 10w40 in the tranny and as a premix go get the standard Suzuki/Kawasaki CCI premix at 20:1.

Good luck

ok cool thank guys! yeah ill get some synthetic oils and stuff and prolly run the standard premix ratio, and thank god i got all the teen out! but im gonna try and flush the cases with sea foam to make sure i get everything out, and hope i can afford everything :ride:

ok cool thank guys! yeah ill get some synthetic oils and stuff and prolly run the standard premix ratio, and thank god i got all the teen out! but im gonna try and flush the cases with sea foam to make sure i get everything out, and hope i can afford everything :ride:

You don't need the synthetic stuff for that bike. Run the Non synthetic dino oils along with some leaded gasoline in that old girl and she'll love ya for it.

Try these guys for parts and stuff

http://www.vintage-suzuki.com/

You should be able to release the spring (with some vise grips) and

take the gear and shaft right out. Those bolts you see behind it are to hold

the bearing in place.

The goodnews is those teeth don't grind up to well. At least you won't be hunting

in all the bearings for shavings!

can you explain more? i think i have to split the cases because of a circlip on the end.

Yup I think that I have to agree with the need to split the cases. Suzuki did manage to hide a circlip inside the cases (find lucky #3). However, based on the amount of carnage that you found it's still possible that you will find a few more bits inside the cases. And like I mentioned before, this engine was based off of a PE175 (actually it is a PE engine) so when you search eBay or the bone yard for parts be sure to check for PE's.

SU0255_012.gif

yeah i found all the parts i need to get the oldie fixed now to bid and buy and wait :ride: but i need to sell the sdg first(dont need 2 split motors apart) gets confusing espically since bit and peces drift around some how, but luckaly its a 2 stroke and and old one so its really simple to do, oh and does suzuki sell a full gasket kit for this? i think i saw one at my shop but not sure if its a full kit. ohhhh and one more thing is there trans oil for wet clutches? or is that oil already for that?

oh and hey what kind of fmf pipe and muffler can i put or force or modify to put on it? i want a fmf shorty muffler and either a gold series or rev i think its called pipe.

I run ATF-F in my old IT's. Works great! A little more expensive than 10/40, but guaranteed no moly or slippery additives in it to foul my clutch.

Not sure FMF made a system for the PE's...you might see if there's an old DG system out there for it though.

yeah i saw a DG but id rather go with FMF but there isnt one for it so im gonna have to modify one, the shorty muffler should fit either way.

DG and Krause were the original aftermarket pipe and silencer companies. Then came Answer, DMC and finally Procircuit, FMF, Bill's and a couple of others. Through out the 80's the Big 4 custom made their pipes for their riders. DG was as close to a factory works pipe anyone could get.

so id prolly be better off with DG or should i try and find a used fmf system and modify it?

so id prolly be better off with DG or should i try and find a used fmf system and modify it?

DG. That bike pre dates FMF by about 12 yrs. (I think)

ok, WOOOOO got all my parts ordered!!!!! got whole new kickstart assembly trans assembly, boyesen power reeds, gasket kit, and clutch basket!!!!!!!!!! BUT whats funny is i can get boyesen power reeds for my bike but not a fmf system....????? lol weird but who cares i got my parts just gotta wait for them to be delivered! ill post pics/ vid on the progress when they come in.

Boyesen has been around since the early/mid 70's. He raced in my district and now his kids and grand kids race in my district.