Completely Seized Bearings In Hub

Well im finishing up my projects because we are moving and one of them is getting my hub powdercoated, but the bearings and seals are completely seized. Ive tried pb blaster+torch, and forcing them out and that didnt work. I want to try and sazaw them out but i dont want to damage the bearing seats, I could really care less about the seals and bearings. The seals are weird, they were metal on the outside and have a rubber middle.

These are excel pro series hubs just to clarify.

Theres no snap ring in there causing them not to come out?

Well im finishing up my projects because we are moving and one of them is getting my hub powdercoated, but the bearings and seals are completely seized. Ive tried pb blaster+torch, and forcing them out and that didnt work. I want to try and sazaw them out but i dont want to damage the bearing seats, I could really care less about the seals and bearings. The seals are weird, they were metal on the outside and have a rubber middle.

These are excel pro series hubs just to clarify.

The bearing arent rubber, its most likely a rubber seal, so a sealed bearing. Try soaking them in WD40 or similar for ages. Are you hitting the outer race of the bearing, not the inner? Clean up around the inside the hub for rust etc with sandpaper. If you can get a cylinder of refrigerant (highly unlikely, I'm a mechanic and have it at work), freeze them and try knocking them out, that will shrink the bearing metal.

Which wheel is it??

The bearing arent rubber, its most likely a rubber seal, so a sealed bearing. Try soaking them in WD40 or similar for ages. Are you hitting the outer race of the bearing, not the inner? Clean up around the inside the hub for rust etc with sandpaper. If you can get a cylinder of refrigerant (highly unlikely, I'm a mechanic and have it at work), freeze them and try knocking them out, that will shrink the bearing metal.

Which wheel is it??

I know the bearings arent rubber. I was talking about the seal, metal on the outside. The bearing isnt sealed. Its just like a normal bearing I can see it under the seal. Its the front wheel.

I freezed the hub and tried to heat the bearing and it didnt work.

I banged up my front hub pretty good trying to get the bearings out, then I gave up and took both wheels to the dealer. They said it took them about a minute per wheel on the press. Now I have a perfect back hub with new bearings, and a needlessly chewed-up front hub with new bearings. If they had screwed up either wheel, they would have had to make it right.

Ray

I banged up my front hub pretty good trying to get the bearings out, then I gave up and took both wheels to the dealer. They said it took them about a minute per wheel on the press. Now I have a perfect back hub with new bearings, and a needlessly chewed-up front hub with new bearings. If they had screwed up either wheel, they would have had to make it right.

Ray

Thats what ill probably do, assuming it took only a minute they probably shouldnt charge you much, but im snow bound for a little while so that will have to wait.

Did you take the carrier ring off first? If I remember correctly the carrier ring sits over the seal a bit holding it into the hub.

Did you take the carrier ring off first? If I remember correctly the carrier ring sits over the seal a bit holding it into the hub.

yep its off (only 1 because its the front):ride:

I was doing this the other day with siezed up bearing races in the linkage of my brothers 125.

The thrust bearing was bonded to the inner race and I could not hammer it out.

I used a dremel with a cutting stone (cylindrical and small) and about 10-15 minutes later I was able to make a zig zaged cut right down the steel race. It didn't go all the way to the rear of the race, but so much of it was removed that when I tried hammering it out after, it broke and came right out. There was a small mark on the linkage where the bearing race once was, but the new bearing went right over it and you would never know.

Point being, use a dremel :ride: that's the best way to get out stubber bearings without a press. It will eat right through a sealed bearing no prob just give it time.

The stone bit was 5$ at the hardware store.