Sign in to follow this  

Pod air filter?

wouldn't be good for offroad, but they are decent for onroad

most people just do the power up mod (remove the air box snorkel, exhast tip, and up jet the bike)

I'm running a k+n pod with a k+n snowcharger.the snowcharger is waterproof and keeps the dirt off of the filter.I run on a track,woods and some gravel pits.Not much loose sand.The filter gets dirtier a little quicker but am happy with the pipe,pod and jetting.

I'm running a k+n pod with a k+n snowcharger.the snowcharger is waterproof and keeps the dirt off of the filter.I run on a track,woods and some gravel pits.Not much loose sand.The filter gets dirtier a little quicker but am happy with the pipe,pod and jetting.

Just FYI K&N's are about the worst filtering filters on the market. They flow the best, because the pores are too big, and allow dirt in.

The outerwear is a bandaid for a problem, it does help them to not allow as much through..

I only use K&N on full street vehicles, foam filters for offroad :ride:

I'll get a pic for you,

So i should have dirt on the inside of the filter and the intake?

I would agree that an oil soaked 1/2" thick foam filter would trap more dirt if running in sand.

I don't think the outerwear is a bandaid,how long till a foam pod would be clogged solid?

Depends on where you ride I would say.

The best solution I've heard of so far is to take a tupperware container and cut it to fit over the pod filter with only the bottom side of the tupperware container cut open. It's a mod many have performed on vintage bikes.

Depends on where you ride I would say.

Just trying to help you out man, it's a known fact K&N filters don't filter dirt/dust very well. Run what you want to run its your bike, for all I care you can not run a filter.

Like I said, they are decent for onroad, I run them on my sport bike and my car. But for offroad conditions they are terrible. But if you are a super moto rider then you have nothing to worry about.

If you are a trail warrior well you are doing more harm then good. With a proper lubed foam filter I doubt you'd see any power loss, and your motor would probably be thanking you. :ride:

btw you can run a outerware on a foam filter too if that's what you desire. :lol:

the stock 230 airbox will out flow anything you can do to the motor.

you can dump the airbox if you want the weight savings though :ride:

yea,

No problem Towlieee,

might have to try a test,maybe a vacuum cleaner for suction and some filter paper.Also a bucket of dirt.

Trying to revive this thread and hopefully others or anyone that runs a pod can chime in with some pics and their findings. On some bikes removing the airbox makes the engine have a dead spot and sometimes harder to jet for a smooth powerband. Any experiences?

Trying to revive this thread and hopefully others or anyone that runs a pod can chime in with some pics and their findings. On some bikes removing the airbox makes the engine have a dead spot and sometimes harder to jet for a smooth powerband. Any experiences?

engines definitely become a little harder to jet, and often times on many bikes, a "stack" has to be built to make pods work effectively.

I've put pods specifically on two bikes where people said "you can't ever get them to run right" and I got them to run great, but I also built at least a 2-5" stack between the filter and carb, and spent a lot of time dialing the jetting in right. That was on a inline 4 600cc sport bike, and a yfz450 quad

I'm not sure how it is on a 150/230, but I'm sure it would make it a little more turbulent, but on these trail bikes, probably wouldn't be too hard to dial the jetting in

I'm going to ditch the airbox's and give the pod's a shot...

Not concerned much with dirt as the bike's live indoors on concrete.

I picked up 4 pod's and have 2 spare.

PM if interested in one.

I run a K&N and have been very happy with the outcome. Jetting was not hard to figure out. I did not notice any power increase, I removed the airbox so I could run a CR85 rear shock. I have never had any problems with K&N filters and they have served me well over the years. I do service my bikes more than most but that is because I enjoy it. I understand why people do not like them, but I am happy with them.

photo.jpg

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa337/Stickies805/photo-1.jpg

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa337/Stickies805/Venturaraceway040-1.jpg

I've run K&N pod filter and currently have been running one on a XR200 motor in an RM chassis since the eighties without problems, but they don't filter like foam and require frequent servicing. They also fail, I'm on my second one.

Adding length between the carb and filter does help smooth air flow and makes jetting easier and enhances power. But my current setup doesn't have enough room between the carb and shock for a duct but I found switching to an oval K&N with an offset carb connection made the bike run better than with the regular round pod. Adding a housing keeps water off the filter and can help separate some dirt out of the air before reaching the element. I've used both Tuppperwear and modded coffee cans for housings.