well the sickness continues...another project 1973 Honda MT250

Bought a 1973 Honda MT250 today for $200.00. Anything to look for as I teardown the bike? The bike already has all the turns signals,keys, lights etc. removed. I plan to clean it all up to a cool old school trail bike. But not dump a bunch of money into it...that is the hard part. Ill post some pics soon.

GET HELP NOW!!!

Yer a sick bass tard!

oh ya....Anyone hear of any 75 mx400s' for sale?.....

Well, the first thing I'd check is the exhaust pipe. My friend's pipe is so clogged it's blowing back out the manifold joint. :ride: I've only had the rear baffle off, but based on what I saw back there (almost completely clogged spark arrestor outlets), I'm going to torch and clean them all out plus drill a 3/4 hole in the center.

The second thing is the oil injector pump adjustment. I don't know if someone tweaked this one or not, but right now it's set to 'smoke screen'. :lol: Also, his air filter had turned into gray cheese - these are still available (they fit the MR175 air box perfectly, too).

If your bike runs rich below 1/2 throttle but OK from there on up, the needle jet's probably worn. If you can't find a new one, dropping the huge #60 pilot down a size or two will help (you'll probably have to move the needle clip down a notch to richen the 1/2 to 3/4 range back up).

Ray

GET HELP NOW!!!

Yer a sick bass tard!

oh ya....Anyone hear of any 75 mx400s' for sale?.....

Thanks Scale!!! I have a DR appointment tomorrow!!! Ha ha!

Well, the first thing I'd check is the exhaust pipe. My friend's pipe is so clogged it's blowing back out the manifold joint. :ride: I've only had the rear baffle off, but based on what I saw back there (almost completely clogged spark arrestor outlets), I'm going to torch and clean them all out plus drill a 3/4 hole in the center.

The second thing is the oil injector pump adjustment. I don't know if someone tweaked this one or not, but right now it's set to 'smoke screen'. :lol: Also, his air filter had turned into gray cheese - these are still available (they fit the MR175 air box perfectly, too).

If your bike runs rich below 1/2 throttle but OK from there on up, the needle jet's probably worn. If you can't find a new one, dropping the huge #60 pilot down a size or two will help (you'll probably have to move the needle clip down a notch to richen the 1/2 to 3/4 range back up).

Ray

The injector pump has been disconnected. I plan to remove the internals of the pump, and also the internals of the tachometer drive. I pulled the top end and the piston looks good but the rings looked too small? Like there is no way they could wrap around the piston for a tight seal? Strange. Stock rings too, very thick. I don't think the pipe is stock? It looks to be more round in shape and the heat guard is welded to it. I have never seen one like it before. It could be home made but if it is, the guy did a great job making it??

Does the pipe look like the one in the link below?

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1250458/

If so. I believe it's a Bassani, and much better than the stock pipe. I read recently that these were available as a dealer option on new MT250's.

I pulled the top end and the piston looks good but the rings looked too small? Like there is no way they could wrap around the piston for a tight seal?

With the top end assembled, the rings should have an end gap of way less than 1/16" (.0625"), and when removed from the piston, you should be able to easily squeeze the sides of the ring and touch the ends together. If this is not the case in your bike, it's likely a chunk of ring broke off and either went out the exhaust port or down into the crankcase. My MR175 did this once, and I never did find the ring chunks. :ride:

Ray

Man I've got the sickness too! I've bought to many of those $200 bikes that turn into $1,000+ bikes real quick:smirk:

Yes make sure to get some pictures posted:thumbsup:

Does the pipe look like the one in the link below?

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1250458/

If so. I believe it's a Bassani, and much better than the stock pipe. I read recently that these were available as a dealer option on new MT250's.

With the top end assembled, the rings should have an end gap of way less than 1/16" (.0625"), and when removed from the piston, you should be able to easily squeeze the sides of the ring and touch the ends together. If this is not the case in your bike, it's likely a chunk of ring broke off and either went out the exhaust port or down into the crankcase. My MR175 did this once, and I never did find the ring chunks. :ride:

Ray

That is exactly what the pipe looks like!!! Very cool to know it is not some garage build.. The top ring still looks complete because the notched piece to align with the pin is still there. The lower ring is missing about 3mm but I dont think it is in the bottom end as I believe it has been like that for some time?? But I am flushing and cleaning the lower half either way. Do not plan to split case on this bike though. Where is a good place to track down the plastic side panels?? None on Ebay. Thanks again!!

Man I've got the sickness too! I've bought to many of those $200 bikes that turn into $1,000+ bikes real quick:smirk:

Yes make sure to get some pictures posted:thumbsup:

Hope that is not the case again!! Will break the bank for sure. Trying to keep very low $$ and not perfect.

Here's a cover, but it seems really expensive for the condition it's in:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-MT250-MT-250-ELSINORE-SIDE-COVER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ef9a6a4faQQitemZ270476420346QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I bought a set of Honda MT250 rings for $38, which seemed like a lot of money to me. Then I found this guy on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-FL-250-ATC-250R-STD-SUDCO-PISTONS-624-050-ATV_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem58857451a5QQitemZ380196114853QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I offered him $40, he took it, and I got piston, rings, and pin for $48 shipped. Now that is CHEAP. :ride: I returned the rings to the dealer.

Honda pretty much resurrected the MT250 top end for the FL250 quad, which was made until '84 - so a lot of parts are still available.

Ray

Hi, my name is Kirk, and I have extreme conJUNKtivitis.

Hello, Kirk.....

or

Bless me father, for I have sinned. It's been 45 days since I sold my last money pit and I just bought another one.....

or

Hi, I'm calling about the bike you have listed on Craigslist. When your ad says "needs work", what exactly.....

or

"You bought another WHAT!!!??..... don't you 'now, honey' ME!

:ride::thumbsup::lol::bonk:

Hi, my name is Kirk, and I have extreme conJUNKtivitis.

Hello, Kirk.....

or

Bless me father, for I have sinned. It's been 45 days since I sold my last money pit and I just bought another one.....

or

Hi, I'm calling about the bike you have listed on Craigslist. When your ad says "needs work", what exactly.....

or

"You bought another WHAT!!!??..... don't you 'now, honey' ME!

:ride::thumbsup::lol::bonk:

Been there, done that.

Here is a pic of the bike from this morning. From my phone so not the best. The cylinder and head are from a CR250? I believe this is the case because the intake port is a four bolt and larger and the head only has the spot for 1 sparkplug, no backup. Is this going to work okay? Do I just run the CR250 carb and air boots? I would like the increased performance, but would it be less of a tuning nightmare to put it back to the MT250 cylinder and head? Thanks everyone!!

73mt250.jpg

Bike's looking good!

If the CR250 top end works, I would definitely leave it in place. Someone went to a whole lot of trouble to put it on, and if it's in decent shape it shouldn't be any more difficult to tune than the MT250 units would be. It will also make the bike a lot more fun to ride.

If you need an air filter, UNI makes some small units that should fit the space you have. I'm using one with a '75? CR250 air boot on my 175 CR, it works fine. I had my machinist cut some short aluminum tubes to mate the filter inlet tube to the air boot, I've got extras if you need one.

Ray

Here is a pic of the bike from this morning. From my phone so not the best. The cylinder and head are from a CR250? I believe this is the case because the intake port is a four bolt and larger and the head only has the spot for 1 sparkplug, no backup. Is this going to work okay? Do I just run the CR250 carb and air boots? I would like the increased performance, but would it be less of a tuning nightmare to put it back to the MT250 cylinder and head? Thanks everyone!!

73mt250.jpg

If it does have a CR top end , LEAVE IT THERE!!!. That should run sweet with the heavier ignition flywheel. Get a fresh top end with stock CR jetting in the carb as a starter. If you have tuning any issues go to vintagefactory.com. He is a pretty good guy and is pretty open to helping guys out.

Edited by SMarquez
speling

73mt250.jpg

Oh man that is too sweet! I was on my CT70 and XR75 and lusting after those "big" 2 smoke Hondas. Good looking bikes.

It is definately a CR250 top end. And in pretty good condition. The guy I bought it from also gave me the Honda Factory service manual still in perfect shape in the Honda binder and a spare carb, carb rebuilt kit and new in package fork seals. The carb is tagged for a 1976 Honda CR250. The only thing I would like to change is to somehow get a better set of rubber carb boots for both sides. The ones on the bike I am sure worked with no problem but they were plumbing joint boots and looked Hoop-D.

Well, here's the most critical one of the two. It's NOS and selling for the OEM retail price, w/free shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-MR250-INTAKE-PIPE-MANIFOLD-16220-381-000-NOS-1976_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d27b0b2b8QQitemZ400097850040QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Vintage Iron has a flexible filter-side boot that will work, $40 plus shipping is kinda steep for what it is (center/rear of photo):

http://vintageiron.com/rubbers.cfm

Ray

I looked at the OEm? The part is listed for MR250 but it looks like it would work? mine has an aluminum mount that a small boot would mount to and then to the carb. I am going to dig around some more on Vintage Iron. hate to spend $100.0 on the 2 boots as I am not restoring this bike, just making it "nicely rideable!" The 2 boots I have would work no problem. Will prob worry about these last and depending on the rest of build. Thanks for the links. How do you always find the EBAY listings???????

The MR250 manifold is the same as the '76 CR250M manifold. I believe all the CR250M intake manifolds have the same bolt pattern, but there are several different part numbers along with at least two different gaskets, because there are at least 3 different carbs used among the CR250M's and MR250.

I wouldn't want to spend $100 either, but the manifold and boot are definitely parts you want to have confidence in. As long as the ones you have don't leak, you can just use them and watch eBay for better used ones. A few of these manifolds rolled through eBay recently, and the air boots show up there from time to time as well. The nice thing about the OEM Honda air boot is that it is stiff enough to hold the weight of an air filter.

Had do I find the eBay listings? I set up 39 eBay searches. :ride: Every morning I get at least a dozen E-mails from eBay telling me what showed up while I was asleep. When I was first getting the bikes running there were so many parts I needed and I was bidding & buying like crazy, but nowadays it's more of a habit/curiosity kind of thing. Also, don't forget Google - it's helped me find a bunch of stuff that was never listed on eBay.

Ray