Panic rev question

Have any of you tried this or heard of anyone doing this: when needing to do a panic rev, first shift to a higher gear so the wheel spins even faster than if you just rev it in the gear you're already in? It seems the gyration affect would be much greater and maybe just a small blip would make a big difference.

And for the sake of discussion: what about shifting up 2 gears?

I've never done this but seems like it might make for some interesting discussion. And maybe one of you experts could give it a try, and then make a post.

your better off just panic revving rather then taking the time to shift up a gear if you get into a nose low situation.

panic rev is to hold the throttle wide open until the bike reaches the rev limiter stays there for the majority of the jump. It is different then when you are just revving the bike to bring the front end up or a whip back.

the faster the tire spins the greater the effect. so yes upshifting twice would make it come up more.

Edited by Die_trying

until you hit the ground two gears too high and stall on impact.

the sooner you start your panic rev the better, dont waste time selecting gears.

Have any of you tried this or heard of anyone doing this: when needing to do a panic rev, first shift to a higher gear so the wheel spins even faster than if you just rev it in the gear you're already in? It seems the gyration affect would be much greater and maybe just a small blip would make a big difference.

And for the sake of discussion: what about shifting up 2 gears?

I've never done this but seems like it might make for some interesting discussion. And maybe one of you experts could give it a try, and then make a post.

Yes, I've done it/do it... Usually, you DO have time to shift up two gears, not always, but usually. If your panic rev, is in a true panic... I don't think I'd mess with it. But if a nose down dosn't panic you, being relaxed, you usually have the time, and it will make a big difference.

There's one jump on my track that I do that every time. I need to be two gears higher before the whoops that are right after it... and I chop the throttle on the face to put me nose down for the steep landing. Being two gears higher makes the nose come up VERY nice, when I over-do the throttle chop.... especially since I'm leaning forward over the bars for getting on the throttle hard at touchdown.

I wouldn't worry about stalling on impact too much... Just make sure your landing on the throttle hard. (as long as your not riding around 2 gears high already :ride:)

I do this on my 250 2-stroke, and my buddy's 250 4-stroke... He has a 450 now, so this summer, it'll be on that too! :lol:

It will have a greater effect to a point, and shifting up will definitely have an effect if you were already at a high RPM when you came off the face of the jump. The problem is that if you hit a kicker you normally don't have time to shift up before you are too far gone, so you just have to panic rev with what you have to try to stop the back from kicking as early as possible. If you do have time to shift then your front end isn't that low to begin with, and just a normal blip in the gear you are in would probably work just fine.

if your riding is SO BAD that you actually have to worry about super refining panic rev skills (ie; panic upshifting along with the panic rev) me thinks you should find another sport while you are still alive !

Sic...

if your riding is SO BAD that you actually have to worry about super refining panic rev skills (ie; panic upshifting along with the panic rev) me thinks you should find another sport while you are still alive !

Sic...

Or its because mistakes happen while riding?

nothing wrong with up shifting in the air when the track requires it, but upshifting for a panic-rev sounds riduculous to me. If you have enough time to click two gears before your panic-rev starts, I'd say your body position screwed up the jump long before panic-rev became a thought.

what's happening when you land ? are you having to immediatly down shift ? don't sound fun to me.

Wow, you get some sarcastic responces when you make a post just for discussion. But thanks for the other responces.

The problem is that if you hit a kicker you normally don't have time to shift up before you are too far gone,

Too far gone in the gear you jumped in and too far gone two gears up from that gear are too completely different angles. Its fun to play with...

what's happening when you land ? are you having to immediatly down shift ? don't sound fun to me.

Not sure if that was directed to me or not, but if it was... You can almost always handle landing two gears up, sometimes with a little help of the clutch. If you can't, you were probably already in too low of a gear... (referring to 250f's and 250 2t's where you usually ride high in the rev's. Not sure about 450's)

Wow, you get some sarcastic responces when you make a post just for discussion. But thanks for the other responces.

Yeah, some of the responses surprised me. Maybe they shouldn't have... Seems like most topics here are aimed at/from people that do very little riding. Balls of your feet, and... Do my levers look good?

Like I said earlier, I wouldn't work too hard at programing yourself to click up 2 gears to panic rev because of what KJ said... sometimes the kicker moves you way too fast. If you need the panic rev for something other than a kicker, usp4u's comment about your body position being messed up comes in... are you going to be able to shift?

Don't confuse sarcasm with reality. If you are coming up short on a jump, nose down I guarantee you won't be casually thinking about shifting up a gear or two. If you have enough sense of mind you will be grabbing as much throttle as you can, in whatever gear you are in. If you come up short and drive your front tire into the back side of the landing your next thought will be, how bad is this going to hurt. If you pull it off you will clean the turd out of your pants and carry a little more speed into the jump next time.

Adjusting your position in the air is a different question than trying to save your a$$ in a split second as "panic rev" suggests.

If you're in a hard nose dive and panic revving why couldn't you shift up a gear? I do it when I'm in a hard dive. The faster you have your rear wheel spinning the more it will "suck up" the rear wheel and level your front end. Most of you guys act like you need 3 seconds to click up a gear in the air. Keep it wide open and click the next gear. Helps in a pinch.

If you're in a hard nose dive and panic revving why couldn't you shift up a gear? I do it when I'm in a hard dive. The faster you have your rear wheel spinning the more it will "suck up" the rear wheel and level your front end. Most of you guys act like you need 3 seconds to click up a gear in the air. Keep it wide open and click the next gear. Helps in

a pinch.

I agree it shouldn't take hardly any time, just like it dosen't take much time to pull in the clutch and tap the the brake when you need to do that.

So lets say your in a nose dive, you panic rev in the same gear, now your wheel is spinning as much as it can in that gear and the front end starts to come up. Can you now pull in the clutch, click up one gear and re-rev to bring the front up some more? Again, I think this could be done real fast.

Any skills you can practice will make you better. Even if you only have to use it once in a whole season, you're better than the guy who doesn't know how to do it.

I don't know about a panic situation. I haven't tried it, but if you know a jumps gonna kick you up then yea shift up a gear.

Here's another question. Clutch in or out? I mean there's no load on the wheel so just bang it through!

What happens when you upshift and hit neutral and panic rev? Is that when you panic chit yer pants? 83d206f474f8e1e8

What happens when you upshift and hit neutral and panic rev? Is that when you panic chit yer pants? 83d206f474f8e1e8

I honestly can't tell you the last time I hit a jump in first gear.

I honestly can't tell you the last time I hit a jump in first gear.

You can still hit "false" neutral's in every gear. 3rd to 4th etc. If you don't put it in properly.

But yea hope that filling you're pants will help with the weight transfer :ride:

You can still hit "false" neutral's in every gear. 3rd to 4th etc. If you don't put it in properly.

But yea hope that filling you're pants will help with the weight transfer :ride:

With no load on the rear wheel it's less likely to hit a false neutral. Either way do as you like. In an absolute hard dive, shifting up a gear is the way to go.

Have any of you tried this or heard of anyone doing this: when needing to do a panic rev, first shift to a higher gear

The polite and direct answer to your question is 'NO'. I have never heard of it, nor have I ever witnessed it in hundreds of race days at the track.

Plus, as you know already, I can't imagine why anyone would waste time honing this skill. Well, may perhaps Ryan Capes as he jumps 290 feet would need it. Or perhaps even Travis Pastrana who needs it to get his rotation going even more when he is doing a double backflip.

IF ONE WERE TO DO IT, IT WOULD HAPPEN LIKE THIS ====>>

bike launches into a forward flip (the dreaded endo) when a sharp lip catches the rider unaware as he launches off a ramp. rider pins the throttle wide open (the conventional "panic rev") ... now (if he is lucky enough to still have his feet on the pegs) he simply pulls up on the shifter (without the clutch and without backing off the throttle). the bike shifts and front end begins to rise again. success.

again, maybe Ryan Capes or Travis or some BMX pro would have have enough time to actually utilize this maneuver, but most of us have to remember that "its always the little gnarly jumps" that have the worst kickers in them. especially the ones that your friend built in his back yard. :lol:.... in 99.9% of real life situations --- you simply have not time for anything but a conventional Hail Mary panic rev.

lastly, if one were to do it any other way: let's say a double upshift befoe the panic rev even begins, chances are the engine would labor in the higher gear for a split second and it would turn out to be the mistake of your life as the engine's momentary labor consumed all of your "panic rev time" and you hit the ground with no throttle effect at all. ie; a conventional panic rev would have been far more effective.

choose wisely :ride:

Sic..

If I am revved out, I have clicked it up a gear mid panic rev before. It probably got the front wheel a couple inches higher and works quite well. Just slamm it in gear.

That only happens with Suzuki's and the occasional Kawasaki. :lol::ride: