Sign in to follow this  

Never Raced and Would like to...

I am 42 and was thinking about racing a couple of 40+beginners in whiplash or perhaps at one of the local tracks. Advice is appreciated.

Do it. I started for the first time at 31. I'll never be anything beyond a mid-pack C class rider probably but that's my only goal.

I started at 41.....best advice is to get in good shape and understand that most problems can be fixed with more throttle...

Best advice i recieved when i started again is have fun!Practice your starts,start out in 2nd gear,PRATICE YOUR STARTS,find some one who has raced at your track and ask questions,lots of questions,PRACTICE YOUR STARTS,start peeing about 2 hours before you get to the line because when you get to the line you will have to pee bad!PRACTICE YOUR STARTS,get a peice of tape and place it on your pad on your handle bar and write on it in bold letters"BREATH;And i probally did not elaborate enough about practicing your starts in 2nd gear,after your first race it will be hard for you to remove your helmet because the smile and woody take about a hour to go down,have fun that is what it is all about at our age!!!!!!!!

Edited by hadameo

Just go out and do it one time, and you'll be hooked!

You will be crapping your pants due to nerves.

You will not be the fastest guy there.

You will not be the slowest guy there.

You will learn 1000 things in your first lap you need to work on.

You will start working on fixing those things about 1 second after you take the checkered flag.

My first MX race was a joke. They combined the Vets and Seniors and we had about 50 guys on the line, and I looked like the only one who was nervous. They dropped the gate, and I hit the kill switch. I let them all get in front of me and wad themselves up in turn 1, and I ended up about 15th through turns 3 and 4. Then the fast guys got up and proceeded to jump over me until they were all in front, then the real fast guys started lapping me. Regardless, I worked on a couple turns and a couple smaller jumps and practiced them and by the time the second moto came, I knew where I stood.

Relax................

My first race was on a track with a 20 mile loop. After 5 miles I was so cramped up I couldn't hang on or shift. It took me another 5 miles or so of just putting around before I could get moving again. After I relaxed it was a lot of fun.

Relax................

My first race was on a track with a 20 mile loop. After 5 miles I was so cramped up I couldn't hang on or shift. It took me another 5 miles or so of just putting around before I could get moving again. After I relaxed it was a lot of fun.

Every time I step up to the starting line,,,I say to Myself....let's have some fun....it takes the hyperactivity away from the start...look around and enjoy the scenery,,,make fun of the riders in their batman uniforms....for most riders two hours is a long time,,but,,if You pace Yourself,,it's easy.....there is nothing wrong with passing-up people, after they beat You off the line.......good luck.......Dr.D.....

I am 42 and was thinking about racing a couple of 40+beginners in whiplash or perhaps at one of the local tracks. Advice is appreciated.

i race whiplash and my dad is in the 40+ novice class (there is no 40+ beginner)

it is a very nice and calm environment and usually they split up the race between the really fast guys and the rest of us which really helps a lot. They always have safety and medical personal. The only main problem they have is they always put down too much water but this is because of maricopa county's ridiculous dust laws. Overall awesome tracks, awesome people there as well.

http://www.whiplashracing.com/

i race whiplash and my dad is in the 40+ novice class (there is no 40+ beginner)

it is a very nice and calm environment and usually they split up the race between the really fast guys and the rest of us which really helps a lot. They always have safety and medical personal. The only main problem they have is they always put down too much water but this is because of maricopa county's ridiculous dust laws. Overall awesome tracks, awesome people there as well.

http://www.whiplashracing.com/

Yeah I live in a county Island in Maricopa and I ride around my house (it's all my property, but I have neighbors-non-hoa, thank god) so far no dust complaints.

Something that's kind of stupid is when I did my first race(and was all excited) I didn't realize how much I listen to my bike, I couldn't hear at all and had a brain fart and didn't let the clutch out(like I said, stupid...), so yeah, practice the start :ride: