Sign in to follow this  

2009 250SX for woods

Hi:

I am so soo so close to buying this bike.

The forks have been revalved, pipe guards, rad guards, and is in really really good condition. The seller says 30 hrs total on the bike, and I believe him.

I will be riding this bike 95% woods and tight single track.

Now, should I do some motor mods, get the dual map switch, buy the 300 kit, etc etc. ?

Leave it alone?

Am coming off a woods-i-fied 2005 CRF450R (sold it - had enough!), and grew up on 90's KX's and 2000's Cr's. I am looking forward to my new ride!!

thx in advance...

Hi:

I am so soo so close to buying this bike.

The forks have been revalved, pipe guards, rad guards, and is in really really good condition. The seller says 30 hrs total on the bike, and I believe him.

I will be riding this bike 95% woods and tight single track.

Now, should I do some motor mods, get the dual map switch, buy the 300 kit, etc etc. ?

Leave it alone?

Am coming off a woods-i-fied 2005 CRF450R (sold it - had enough!), and grew up on 90's KX's and 2000's Cr's. I am looking forward to my new ride!!

thx in advance...

Since you've already had race wood bikes you should be fine on the SX. If its to much you can always put on a exc head to lower the compression and make it less snappy in the woods.

Hi again:

The xc's and xcw's in this part of the world are approx $1000 more....and this 250 SX is a really clean used bike.

I have the exact same bike set up for woods, and it works great! My race results improved immediately upon getting the bike, but it is a bit snappy for the woods in stock condition. In general, I have found that the more I tame the bike's power, the better my race results. Here is what I have done for power:

1. ignition switch (I can't really tell much of a difference, but I normally run it on the low power setting). If I hadn't already bought the switch, I would have just left the wires disconnected.

2. FWW - the large size (11 oz???)

3. jetting on the rich side (I run the JD kit with a 165 main)

4. green PV spring with low preload

5. Db snorkle on exhaust - I bought this for noise suppression, but I found that it really does a nice job of making the power smoother. I will put this on for really muddy conditions. Otherwise, I take it off.

The bike works great like this. The only thing I may try in the future is one of those throttle-cam systems.

As for the rest of the bike, it has a woods revalve, bark busters, a large tank, and a pipe guard. I recently put on a Scotts stabilizer as well.

Thx!

Wiff has approved the purchase. The only thing left before handing over the money is to run the VIN to make sure its legit.

Appreciate the input! Now i haveta wait for all this snow to disappear

I put a SX head and a 12t front sprocket on my 250 xcw so that it's geared more like the SX and has more bottom end like the SX and it's great in the tight stuff, just run it a gear high and it lugs great and tames the power. If you need more power while lugging just fan the clutch a little.

I also instaled a G2 throttle cam and that tames the bottom end as well gives more control in the first part of the throttle.

The only thing I can see being a problem with the SX is the front forks being too harsh over the small trail junk, try running less compression and more rebound, should help.

I have the exact same bike set up for woods, and it works great! My race results improved immediately upon getting the bike, but it is a bit snappy for the woods in stock condition. In general, I have found that the more I tame the bike's power, the better my race results. Here is what I have done for power:

1. ignition switch (I can't really tell much of a difference, but I normally run it on the low power setting). If I hadn't already bought the switch, I would have just left the wires disconnected.

2. FWW - the large size (11 oz???)

3. jetting on the rich side (I run the JD kit with a 165 main)

4. green PV spring with low preload

5. Db snorkle on exhaust - I bought this for noise suppression, but I found that it really does a nice job of making the power smoother. I will put this on for really muddy conditions. Otherwise, I take it off.

The bike works great like this. The only thing I may try in the future is one of those throttle-cam systems.

As for the rest of the bike, it has a woods revalve, bark busters, a large tank, and a pipe guard. I recently put on a Scotts stabilizer as well.

My 08 XC 200 was to abrupt for technical ST and I added the 11oz FWW and G2 throttle cam 400 and now the power delivery is super smooth:thumbsup: