Throttle tube remedies?

So I think I might have went overboard on the grip glue on the throttle side. Any suggestions on how I can get my throttle to "snap" back to closed position? It's more or less at a slow roll back. Figured it out when I went out for a ride, gave a quick blip of the throttle and took my hand off to adjust my goggles. It almost didn't end so well.

It might just be pushed too far in on the handlebar. Loosen the throttle housing and feel that it doesn´t "grind" on the end.

If the problem is still there, pull the tube off and clean and lube the throttle tube. Inspect for cracks too. And check that the cables are smooth working and not pinched anywhere.

I say you are going to have to take the throttle tube off and clean the extra glue off......

It maybe the glue. It could be dirt stuck in the tube. Or it would be the throttle cables are not adjusted correctly or binding up.

It might just be pushed too far in on the handlebar. Loosen the throttle housing and feel that it doesn´t "grind" on the end.

If the problem is still there, pull the tube off and clean and lube the throttle tube. Inspect for cracks too. And check that the cables are smooth working and not pinched anywhere.

I know this is a stupid question, but where do you lube the throttle tube? I will never learn if I don't ask.

I had that same problem, but it was my cables and not the throttle tube.

I'll pull the tube off. I noticed it after I put new grips on which makes me think it's glue related, but I'll have to check my cables as well.

anyone with an '08 have a relatively stiff throttle pull?

mine was like this when i bought it and wonderin if anyone else's was too

Brake cleaner and lots of it. Wire brush and brake cleaner can help, or a paint thinner. Some type of solvent that will get rid of the dried glue should take it off.

OHHH, had this happen numerous times but last Friday replaced the grips on my sons YZ 85. Head to a race Saturday. I start it and the throttle sticks, actually throttle turned and just sat there.

Took it off and doused it with BRAKE CLEANER stuck a rag in several times along with scraping it out with a screw driver. It took 20 min or so and then was fine.

Never used brake cleaner in the past but it fixed it much faster then wd40 or whatever.

I know this is a stupid question, but where do you lube the throttle tube? I will never learn if I don't ask.

The tube is a plastic or metal barrel that slides on the end of the handlebar. To ease friction some lube is used. After some time the aluminum (and moisture) discolors and breaks down the grease.

Some prefer not to lube at all, just having it perfectly clean. This is possible since the plastic will slide anyway. Some alu tubes have plastic inserts to make it slide easy. Some even have a ball bearing at the end.

It can be tricky (but not that hard) to get the tube off, because usually the cables are a bit too short, forcing you to have to disassemble the throttle housing. It´s no biggie though, just 2 screws.

Pull the rubber a bit off from the housing to reveal the two (8 mm) screws. You have to pull the rubber protector far enough for it to let go of the housing. Remove the screws. The housing comes apart, disconnect the cables and pull the tube off.

Clean it with brake cleaner and lube it if you want to. Clean the handlebar in the same way.

If any cable starts to fray, replace it immediately. It´s dangerous to ride with bad cables.

Mount in reverse order. When tightening the 2 screws, be sure not to slide it all too far in, or it can bind and stick. Pull the housing as far in as it goes, then back out a mm or 2.

Don´t overtighten the screws. I´ve seen a guy crack the housing using too big of a T-handle.

I figured thats what you were talking about when you said to lube. I have never used lube there because it scares me about dirt or sand getting in it and really binding it up. I have always brake cleanered it and just kept it really clean. Thanks again. On a side note, the 09's CAN be taken off without disassembling the throttle house.

I used to always muck up my throttle tube. with falls, grip glue, etc... Now that I have an Aluminum tub. It's perfect. It took one outing to get used to the new feel of the aluminum tube, now I love it. I can trust it to return and such