Helmet cams

:ride: So I am in the market for a helmet camera. The GO PRO HERO looks like a good camera but I also found the CONTOUR 1080 HD. Looking for opinions and pro's & con's. The contour is more expensive but holds more. It doesnt look as durable however.

My buddy has the Go Pro HD the 1080p one...Its EXCELLENT!!! Its like your watching a high quality dvd! We put it on our water skis and all! Its really good! Sound isnt too crash hot on the bike, but you can get a cover the has holes so its a bit clearer sound wise. Other than that, its awesome!

Well I just saw the go pro 1080. Totally missed that..DRRRR. That looks to be the ticket. I can go scuba diving with it too! Thanks for the heads up!

I find the GoPro HD has the best picture quality. It has its quirks however. It is an "unfinished" camera and does not have the final firmware at this time. It has serious card comaptability issues (especially on the larger 16gb and 32gb cards). If you buy one now, make sure you get a Kingston or Patriot brand card (class 4). Some people are even having problems with these "recomended" cards.

These problems may or may not be fixed in the "final" firmware release, GoPro is not giving much information on this issue. No idea when the firmware will be released, it could take months.

what makes you say the gopro hd has better picture quality over the vholdr 1080?

I own a vholdr and I love it

Both cameras produce a good picture. I seen a side by side comparison and the gopro had a bit sharper picture, and little less "rolling shutter" effect. Gopro offers different options on view angle, 127 or 170 degrees. I find the 170 a bit too wide, but I can crop it to any degree I wish using virtualdub. It is a more versatile camera. Negatives: buggy firmware and a silly box-shaped camera body.

It is a personal choice, both cameras are so close in features and picture quality.

Both cameras produce a good picture. I seen a side by side comparison and the gopro had a bit sharper picture, and little less "rolling shutter" effect. Gopro offers different options on view angle, 127 or 170 degrees. I find the 170 a bit too wide, but I can crop it to any degree I wish using virtualdub. It is a more versatile camera. Negatives: buggy firmware and a silly box-shaped camera body.

It is a personal choice, both cameras are so close in features and picture quality.

I wonder what the vholdr was set to, you can change all sorts of settings on the camera, compression levels, contract/lighting, it's controlled via a text file you put on the camera's memory card, the vholdr software will write the text file for you

They were both set to their highest resolution and run side by side. I will see if I can find the link and post it.

They were both set to their highest resolution and run side by side. I will see if I can find the link and post it.

with the vholdr software? I find that hard to believe, it just came out

the switch on the back of the vholdr does not set the bitrate like the software config/text file does

How do you guys have your camaras mounted? Do they hold up pretty well?

I have the vhold 1080 hd camera and like it as well. Seems pretty durable. For me, I thought both the vhold and gopro make nice videos. I just found the gopro to be big and bulky. I was concerned that I would smack it more on tree branches.

How do you guys have your camaras mounted? Do they hold up pretty well?

they mount differently, the vholdr comes with a goggle mount, or a stick on flat surface mount, there's also 3rd party mounts you can buy, this page shows the mounts

http://www.vholdr.com/contourhd/accessories

someone with a gopro will have to comment on what those use, I like the point of view from the gopro chest mount

Chest mount on the GoPro is the least likely to be damaged by tree branches. I made up an under visor mount for mine. I like the ability to aim the camera by turning my head, the chest mount does not allow that.

GoPro needs to update the camera design to work better with helmets. Vholdr has the advantage for helmet mounting.

Sample video from last Sunday: http://www.vimeo.com/8973563

My helmet mount:

IMG_6247.jpg

Well I bought the gopro hd 1080. But I am disappointed in the fact that I am having card issues just like what was mentioned.:ride: I have yet to hear back from gopro since I emailed them today. I can get 1 card out of 4 to work. My friend had a kingston card 4gb and thats the only one that will work. All the others of verying size just lock the camera up. SO with that said I guess Im in the market for a kingston card.

Edited by hydmech
Wrong quote