I'm somewhat new, have a rookie ?

My boy and I are breaking away from the ATV scene. We've decided on a crf 70 for my 8yo. I'm hoping to get a XR/CRF 250. Since I'm buying used I'm open to other brands, but I just don't know all the different bikes. It has to be a 4 stroke. Can some one tell me other bikes I should be looking at? I'm trying to stay below $2500.

If your looking for low maintenance the XR is the ticket IMO. The higher reving CRF250 requires much more tinkering to keep it alive and well. For $2500 your probably looking at pre '07 CRF's, which often had valve-train issues (cam chain tensioner failing causing slipped chain, often resulting in bent valves). Yamaha's YZ250F have a better reliability record prior to '07, I think all brands are solid after '07. KTM is another solid choice.

Get a good used XR250 or better yet a good Xr400. They will putt around all day long and are easy to maintain as well as almost bulletproof for trail riding! At least if you get the xr400 you wont feel under powered and it will still idle around all day long. They are kinda hard to find but thats just my 2c's

i your just riding around trails a xr- 200 or xr- 250 would be great. And you can prbly find a couple nice ones under $2,500. I think a crf-70 would be good for a 8 yo, i don't know if a xr/ crf-80 woudl be to big for a 8yo. both good bikes. and for trail riding you can't beat the ride of a xr-200. I actually think a xr-200 has more power than a crf-230!

My boy and I are breaking away from the ATV scene. We've decided on a crf 70 for my 8yo. I'm hoping to get a XR/CRF 250. Since I'm buying used I'm open to other brands, but I just don't know all the different bikes. It has to be a 4 stroke. Can some one tell me other bikes I should be looking at? I'm trying to stay below $2500.

2 strokes

I am going to disagree with some of the opinions on here. I would buy a nice used 2004ish CRF450R or X. The XR is good and reliable but the CRF will outperform them in most offroad scenarios. The 250 four strokes would be nice but they lack reliability due to there higher revving nature. The 450s especially the X are happier in the lower RPMs and offer excellent performance...I just think that after about 6 months you will left wanting more performance than the XR250 or CRF230 can give you. You will be able to ride the 450 no matter what your skill level from beginner to advanced. Shouldnt be too hard to find one in the 2500 dollar range.

The 8 year old on the CRF 70 will work but I would also maybe consider a CRF80 or XR80...They are a little bigger and he will be able to enjoy them longer as he grows. The XR/CRF 80 is very mellow and easy for a beginner. If he is smallish then the 70 may be the way to go though...good luck.

I would recommend you look at the crf250x's. We just bought my girl a crf230 for 1200 bucks and its a really fun great bike but like most have said, you may get bored of the power. The 250x is excellent. It's basically a trail version of the crf250r. It has plenty of power, a kickstand, and and e-start with pretty low maintenance. That would be my choice.

I appreciate all the help. I'm starting to get a little excited. The boy sat on a CFR70, and it fit him perfect. We're pretty much set on him. I'm a little hesitant to go bigger than 250, mostly because we'll be doing family rides and I won't want to be to tempted to get too far ahead. There are a couple Yamaha TTR 230s out there. Are they equall to the XR 250, CRF 230?

Not equall to an xr250 but about the same league as and crf230. I you have any good xr250's around I would go that way instead of the 230's they will become boring to you and under suspended in short order. Just my 2c's

well, from what I've seen, all pretty good stuff.

For you, I would say go with the XR250/400 both are fantastic bikes, and super easy to ride.

As for your son... I would say, DEFINITELY stay away from CRF80's the carbs on those things need to stay spotless for them to run properly, and the suspension is not balanced properly at all, the rear suspension is so bad on those things, i nearly got bucked (5'9" 145lbs) and i when i was riding the bike and tuning it. So i would say stick with the 70 for a while then go to the XR/CRF100, or something a little smaller.