Sign in to follow this  

Should i do my clutch or wait till it goes

I have an 2009 YZ250 and I am about to freshen the top of the motor for this season. My question is should i touch or do anything to the clutch and trans or wait till i have a problem? I do have a new bike as a back up.

If you abuse your clutch a lot replace it. If not, don't bother unless you you are planning a ride in a very remote location where you are going to be a long long way from support.

My guess is that if you have to ask you probably don't abuse your clutch all that much.

The clutch is easy to replace. You can easily do it in the pits without draining the oil. I would inspect and measure it, but probably no harm done in waiting.

Just lay bike over on it's left side, press brake caliper in, then hold brake pedal down with a screwdriver. From there it's about a ten minute job.

I wasted money and effort replacing a clutch on my 426. I was freshening it up and bought new plates and springs thinking it would be good preventive maintenance - it was the original clutch with 6 years of use. When I replaced it I measured it, and it hardly had any wear.

Unlike a piston, a clutch usually gives you a warning that its on its way out.

The only thing that will happen is it will slip. Don't bother replacing until it does slip. Wasted money as no harm will be done if it does slip.

Larry

I am hard on clutches and the yz 250 seems to not care...

As long as sufficient play is kept in the lever, dont worry about replacing it till it goes.

My biggest suggestion however is to stick with OEM clutches...

When the clutch begins to wear you will need to keep adding slack to the lever...if you have to do this a lot every ride...it's a good indication it's time for clutches.

If you are worried about it I would measure the plate thicknesses and compare to spec, plus check for flatness.

The YZ250 clutch seems really durable. I run a Rekluse, so it's a little different for me, but I have around 150 hours on my clutch plates, plus whatever the previous owner put on them. When I did a top and bottom end last year I measured out the plates and they were right in the middle of spec. Checked for flatness, threw em back in. I've had a new clutch kit sitting on the shelf for a good 2 years now.

I replaced the original clutch plates and springs on my 2005. The springs were slightly out of spec but the plates were perfect. The basket had absolutely no notching.

It's peace of mind knowing I won't have to again for a long while, but honestly I could have spent the money elsewhere.

The clutch is easy to replace. You can easily do it in the pits without draining the oil. I would inspect and measure it, but probably no harm done in waiting.

Just lay bike over on it's left side, press brake caliper in, then hold brake pedal down with a screwdriver. From there it's about a ten minute job.

Huh, good tip RCannon. I never thought of that, I just take the lever apart. Now I will have one less step. Thanks.

I change my tranny oil after ever ride day, I buy the cheapests oil in the biggest container at WalMart! When the clutch is starting to go I can smell the stench (if you have ever smoked a clutch, you know what I'm talking about) of a burning, worn clutch and I replace it.

MAX!!!

Huh, good tip RCannon. I never thought of that, I just take the lever apart. Now I will have one less step. Thanks.

I change my tranny oil after ever ride day, I buy the cheapests oil in the biggest container at WalMart! When the clutch is starting to go I can smell the stench (if you have ever smoked a clutch, you know what I'm talking about) of a burning, worn clutch and I replace it.

MAX!!!

I took the lever off as well until I realized the reason the swingarm pivot is hollow is to hold the screwdriver in place.....OK, maybe they had other ideas.